Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shotguns and acoustic traumas

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I have hearing loss, so this is interesting to me.

What difference does ammo breaking the sound barrier make. I like 147 9mm over 115 because it doesn't have that sharp crack. Also, I can hear the difference in .22 ammo, shooting sub sonic over high velocity.

I can shoot off my roofed back porch. Even with muffs, an AR 15 is pretty unpleasant. I don't shoot at indoor ranges.
    I also have serious hearing loss and tinnitus (drives me nuts). I arrived at my current handgun ammo selection by comparing .45ACP, supersonic 9mm, and subsonic 9mm while shooting at an indoor range. For me they rate in the order I listed them from loudest down. So I shoot subsonic 9mm exclusively. The sonic crack of lighter 9mm rounds is louder, and the boom of the .45 is louder still. So the supersonic crack is a factor, but for me it's certainly not the only factor.

For earpro I always double up when shooting indoors. The muffs I use are Peltor ProTac with the optional gel seals. Quite comfortable, and they are available in 21dB and 25dB NRR versions. The 21dB NRR model is great for outdoor shooting and I can wear either of them all day with no discomfort. I also keep a pair by each gun located in my house. I use the 25dB NRR model for indoor shooting (over plugs) or if I attend a class.

The only rifle I have left is a suppressed 300 BLK bolt gun. So far I only shoot supersonic ammo. It is probably the most quiet center fire long gun I can think of, other than using subsonics.

If I had protected my ears when I was younger my life would be much more pleasant now, and being a shooter would be more enjoyable.

I got mine in the mail yesterday and I just put them on. They are pretty slick!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Late to the thread.

I worked in Sound Quality at Ford Motor Company and one thing we had to know in that field was Human Response (or how a human hears).

The shotgun will have lower frequency content which will not be as bad as say a .223 Carbine or 9mm pistol.

It is, however, loud enough to cause hearing damage.

Hearing loss typically occurs in the higher frequency ranges (above 5kHz which is a very sensitive area for humans, btw).

Protect your ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    The Noisefighter gel pads for the HL ear pro I ordered last week arrived yesterday. They are fantastic and when combined with the HL Impact Sports make for the absolute best electronic ear pro you can get for ~$90.

Here's a photo of the gel pads compared to the OEM pads and the other aftermarket gels pads -- L to R: OEM, the other gel pads, Noisefigthers:

Attachment 25814

Attachment 25815

I also put a set on some inexpensive passive HL L0F ear pro that I use with power tools and/or to make the world go away and leave me alone with my tinnitus. They are great there too.
    I'm WAY late to this party, but these seem like they'd be incredible. I've never been able to wear ear muffs cuz of how uncomfortable they are with eye pro. I have custom made ear plugs that work very well, but I wouldn't mind also using muffs if they're comfortable enough.

So the questions are, now that these have been out for a year+, are you guys still loving them? Any issues? And is the HL Impact Sports model you linked still the best way to go with these?
    Thanks for helping me spend my money guys.

I keep a pair of ear muffs hung between the barrel and magazine extension on my bedside 870. The configurations of my home will give me ample time to put them on before any home intruder can reach the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have been in multiple shootings with both .45 pistols and 12ga. All sounded like dull pops due to audible exclusion.
    This, with 12 gauge and 357 sig inside a small room. Not saying it doesn't hurt your hearing but exclusion is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    This, with 12 gauge and 357 sig inside a small room. Not saying it doesn't hurt your hearing but exclusion is real.
    I know someone says it every time exclusion is brought up, and I know you're not saying otherwise, but the damage happens anyway. When the dude stabs you, you're bleeding now even if it didn't hurt.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 06-03-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I have hearing loss, so this is interesting to me.

What difference does ammo breaking the sound barrier make. I like 147 9mm over 115 because it doesn't have that sharp crack. Also, I can hear the difference in .22 ammo, shooting sub sonic over high velocity.

I can shoot off my roofed back porch. Even with muffs, an AR 15 is pretty unpleasant. I don't shoot at indoor ranges.
    Well, I've shot my suppressed M4 without ear-pro before (Do as I say not do...)

The port pop on that is in the mid 140's.
    Bullet signature is 150dB +-5ish

The port pop bothered me more than the bullet flight by far. I say this because I had a switchblock on that gun, and when I turned it to suppressed it mitigated about 3dB worth of port-pop, so they say, and it was notably more comfy. That said, bullet flight isn't silent! I shot this video to show what down-range suppressed gunfire sounds like, and interestingly, the camera (S8 phone, leaned against a paint-can sitting in a metal chair) was shaken each time the bullet passed (roughly 2ft up and left of the phone.). There's some pressure wave/sound, there!

Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-04-2019 at 06:15 PM.

User Tag List