Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotguns and acoustic traumas

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Fascinating!

So for treatment, it has to be steroids, like prednisone? Will NSAIDs not work well enough (as a similar least invasive treatment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thats the theory behind prednisone for tinnitus/hearing loss, but in reality it's poorly studied and the evidence that is out there isn't very good. It's basically better than nothing, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Thats the theory behind prednisone for tinnitus/hearing loss, but in reality it's poorly studied and the evidence that is out there isn't very good. It's basically better than nothing, maybe.
    My personal experience , backed by serial audiograms as well as subjective results, has made me a huge fan of it. I wish I had them still. I'd scan them in. 2 weeks post trauma, I had a 30ish db notch at 6khz. My family md would not proscribe the aggressive regimen I asked for, so I went to an audiologist who would, after no treatment for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks of aggressive steroid treatment, that had shrank to 15db. This was done by a professional audiologist in a sound chamber (or whatever you call that room).

My hearing has always sucked, as my parents didnt understand these things. A .357 shooting session without pro as a child wasnt a good idea. I got older, learned better, but things still happen, etc.

Ymmv kn the steroids, but I personally, as a case study of one, an a fan.

*obviously this is for acute situations, not chronic. I doubt in chronic situations it would do anything other than cause gi upset.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-22-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I have hearing loss, so this is interesting to me.

What difference does ammo breaking the sound barrier make. I like 147 9mm over 115 because it doesn't have that sharp crack. Also, I can hear the difference in .22 ammo, shooting sub sonic over high velocity.

I can shoot off my roofed back porch. Even with muffs, an AR 15 is pretty unpleasant. I don't shoot at indoor ranges.
    Double up. I use plugs plus headset. I now no longer find anything unpleasant.

I always double up as well. SF plugs and Howard Leight's. I think it's especially important/effective indoors or when shooting any kind of long gun, which depending on the stock, can push the muff off the ear when mounting the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I always double up as well. SF plugs and Howard Leight's. I think it's especially important/effective indoors or when shooting any kind of long gun, which depending on the stock, can push the muff off the ear when mounting the gun.
    My issue is that I'm cheap and dont have gel cups and wear eyepro. Also, training classes. Shooting inside vehicles next to guys with tank brakes on 10.3s.

Shotguns and acoustic traumas

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    My issue is that I'm cheap and dont have gel cups and wear eyepro. Also, training classes. Shooting inside vehicles next to guys with tank brakes on 10.3s.
    Have you seen the NoiseFighters eyepro-cut gel cups for Howard Leights?
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 04-22-2018 at 10:56 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Have you seen the NoiseFighters eyepro-cut gel cups for Howard Leights?
    Maybe I'll buy some Howard leihts someday.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Why have I not heard about these before?! You’ve been holding out on us.
    I have two shooting sessions with them and they are amazingly comfortable.
    I wear electronic plugs and Howard Leight’s with those gel cups while shooting indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Gel cups are cheaper than hearing aids. Think of it as a long term saving
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Gel cups are cheaper than hearing aids. Think of it as a long term saving
    Foamies are cheaper than either, and do a ton more NRR.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-23-2018 at 12:48 AM.

User Tag List