Page 62 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

GT4 impressions so far. Technology is circa 2010 — essentially no technology except wired Apple Car Play. No forward camera, blind spot monitoring, emergency braking, ventilated seats, or heated steering wheel. Not even temperature control. Best cup holder is wedging a Yeti behind the passenger seat. Built in cup holders are hysterical. Can’t find miles per gallon, but I guess you don’t get one to worry about mpg. You feel every bump and road noise is high. Completely juvenile.

Oh, but so crazy fun to drive. The engine sounds are incredible. Steering feels like you are wearing the car. It goes zero to speed limit with so much gusto, even in town drives are amusing. Everyone rubbernecks, and it gives you a feel for what it must be to go through life as a good looking girl with big boobs.

Name:  86759E20-6D40-4DB6-8CFC-9D0B92E3E889.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  36952E08-C90F-4E28-985B-5D63340B65C2.jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  85.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    GT4 impressions so far. Technology is circa 2010 — essentially no technology except wired Apple Car Play. No forward camera, blind spot monitoring, emergency braking, ventilated seats, or heated steering wheel. Not even temperature control. Best cup holder is wedging a Yeti behind the passenger seat. Built in cup holders are hysterical. Can’t find miles per gallon, but I guess you don’t get one to worry about mpg. You feel every bump and road noise is high. Completely juvenile.

Oh, but so crazy fun to drive. The engine sounds are incredible. Steering feels like you are wearing the car. It goes zero to speed limit with so much gusto, even in town drives are amusing. Everyone rubbernecks, and it gives you a feel for what it must be to go through life as a good looking girl with big boobs.
    Great news! Makes me happy to hear someone owning and driving a bucket-list car. Enjoy! Drive it like you stole it. And please, please, please, take it to the track. There are lots of tracks in the southwest, and that is where it shines. Share more updates as you drive it.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Right, so I guess I could add a post-script to this post.

We picked up the new Bimmer 4/1, at the PCD in South Carolina. This is my sixth BMW, and second PCD experience, after my 2011 E90/6MT. We stayed at the Marriott Greenville, the night before, and enjoyed a very nice steak dinner, all compliments of BMW. Pickup day included an hour tour of the BMW Factory (all X production is made here), demonstrations rides in a new M4 (fun!), a lap of the "X" rough road course out back to demonstrate the AWD SUV's impressive off-road capability and (the highlight for me) three segments of driving control/experiences. Since I was picking up a 5 series, they gave me a M550i for the 90 minutes of seat time.

The car control segments included a stopping distance exercise, at faster and faster speeds, to demonstrate the capabilities of modern ABS and sticky tires (amazingly short stop, these cars). Second was a few circuits of the handling circle, wet, with DSC on and off to showcase the car's ability to control power oversteer (very impressive; I spun out immediately with throttle on opposite lock with DSC off. With DSC back on, I lasted maybe 1/3 of the circle with the throttle mashed to the floor). Lastly were hot laps on the short handling circuit with a mix of turns. I kept catching up to the SUVs (of course haha) but it was fun to get on the throttle of the big V8 5 series. Transitions in the slaloms, not so much. I felt the car was really heavy in the front end and pushed quite a bit in the corners with handfuls of steering being needed. Obviously not a 911 (ahem) but it was quick, no doubt.

They did a fantastic job of prepping our car, we received a complete in-brief with all features demonstrated, phones linked, etc. etc. from our BMW Genius guy.

I would heartily recommend anyone that can to do a BMW Performance Center Delivery. The only down side was the wait for the car to ship from Germany after our order mid-December, it was about 14 weeks, all in. We had no impact from the various stop-sale issues due to lack of electronic gizmos that are happening these days. You do have to get yourself to Greenville SC, and drive home; you still pay the normal Destination Charge, but otherwise, it costs nothing extra.

We've had the car about a month now, not too many miles but it is very pleasant to drive. The 3.0 twin turbo in mine is a good match for the chassis, and feels much, much lighter than the 550. It's odd, it drives like a smaller car; turn in is so so but I'd chalk that up to the Goodyear Eagle run-flats that are standard. I will not miss them when I burn through them to put some performance rubber on. I am personally very glad the G30 5 series does not have the new corporate Bucky Beaver grille. Phew.

There are not as many options available as on the P-cars, but one in particular we ordered was the Driving Assistant Professional. This is an all-singing, all-dancing active cruise control, with lane keeping, auto stop, traffic jam functions, auto lane change, etc. etc. It is very weird after 40 years of driving to turn things over to the car at freeway speeds, but it works amazingly well.

So well in fact, it saved our bacon on the way to Orlando yesterday: I was steaming along at 70+ (cough) and traffic stopped suddenly near the Ellenton Outlets. I wasn't minding the distance and the car sensed a stop as soon as I did, while we approached. This all happened in about 100 milliseconds: I got a red, then a red and white, then a red and white and a VERY LOUD BEEP and ABS activation of the brakes as my foot was mashing the brake pedal. Bottom line we stopped in plenty of space but it was a near-underwear changing moment for us.

It's sobering to realize that cars these days react quicker than I do, but frankly I am ok with that at this stage of my life.

I still miss the 911, a little; but it's kinda like you miss that date with the hawt chick you had in College: Very enjoyable for a while, but you start to slowly realize you couldn't afford the maintenance. But seriously, we are glad we traded in the 991.2: getting a brand new car, three year warranty and bag of money is a major plus.

As to the car...I was wondering: does BMW still have that certain "something" in their DNA, something that they do, where they take a 4D sedan and make it fun and engaging to drive?

I was pleasantly surprised to find out: yes, yes they do.
    RJ, after I purchased my M4CS, they gave me a coupon for a free M Performance Driving School at Spartanburg. I’m convinced this is the best one day driving school I’ve ever attended. Talented instructors, great classroom academics and a good (albeit very tight) track. Derek L, the lead instructor, set a great tone, wants all of us to attend again, and insisted on one thing that set the school apart. Drive the car to its limits. Although they required that we not disable stability control, Derek really wanted us to drive the cars like we stole them. M2s, M4s and M5s. I really pushed them to the limit, using every inch of track available. 2 skid pads, short track and medium track. They taught me a new braking technique that improved my times, and I was able to push the M5 harder than I expected. 115 at the end of the front straight, and starting to fade to ceramic brake package on the car. Highly recommended. Enjoy your 5!
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    RJ, after I purchased my M4CS, they gave me a coupon for a free M Performance Driving School at Spartanburg. I’m convinced this is the best one day driving school I’ve ever attended. Talented instructors, great classroom academics and a good (albeit very tight) track. Derek L, the lead instructor, set a great tone, wants all of us to attend again, and insisted on one thing that set the school apart. Drive the car to its limits. Although they required that we not disable stability control, Derek really wanted us to drive the cars like we stole them. M2s, M4s and M5s. I really pushed them to the limit, using every inch of track available. 2 skid pads, short track and medium track. They taught me a new braking technique that improved my times, and I was able to push the M5 harder than I expected. 115 at the end of the front straight, and starting to fade to ceramic brake package on the car. Highly recommended. Enjoy your 5!
    Driving schools can be a life changing event (fuel the passion, pun intended). I went to the Corvette driving school in 2020 (just before the plaque) as part of my purchase (not free, but like 70% off). I went back again this past January, and hope to do it again in another 2 years. I've been seeking out car events ever since, and recently had my Z06 on the Pocono speedway.

I agree! I’ve been participating with driving schools as a student and instructor since 1998. I like to say, “The first hit of Crack is free.” Track time is addicting. When I lived in Phoenix, we had three tracks, and one that contained four tracks. Plus Vegas and California, I went to a lot of schools, and taught with a lot of clubs. COVID took a lot of momentum out of schools and track events, but they are coming back.

The thing I struggle with is: how fast do I have to go to have fun? Honestly the wife’s Miata is just as much fun as my M4CS, just different. I’d love to drive a Cayman GT4 like GJM’s, just to try that flavor of fun. And a GT3, and an Exige, and a Flyin Miata, etc . . . Sigh. So many fun cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The thing I struggle with is: how fast do I have to go to have fun? Honestly the wife’s Miata is just as much fun as my M4CS, just different. I’d love to drive a Cayman GT4 like GJM’s, just to try that flavor of fun. And a GT3, and an Exige, and a Flyin Miata, etc . . . Sigh. So many fun cars.
    I just started doing Auto Cross (introduced to me at the more recent Corvette school I attended). It's relatively inexpensive, lower risk, and best of all close to home. It's a lot of fun, considering you rarely get past 50.

Who said a 918 isn't practical. You can haul old gun boxes to the dump, one at a time.

Name:  73E259AA-A464-4088-ACD0-8AD1D3D8BC3A.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.7 KB

Who said a 918 isn't practical. You can haul old gun boxes to the dump, one at a time.

Name:  73E259AA-A464-4088-ACD0-8AD1D3D8BC3A.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.7 KB
    You mean 718?

FWIW, I can fit two long gun cases in my Cayman which was a reason to select it over other 2 seat cars. I lay them lengthwise in the hatch; they wedge in fairly securely, using the engine shelf as a fulcrum. Just requires removal of the trunk privacy screen which takes all of 5 seconds.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You mean 718?

FWIW, I can fit two long gun cases in my Cayman which was a reason to select it over other 2 seat cars. I lay them lengthwise in the hatch; they wedge in fairly securely, using the engine shelf as a fulcrum. Just requires removal of the trunk privacy screen which takes all of 5 seconds.
    Yep!

Do you have a Yeti cup holder in yours?

Name:  08B267DB-5A1B-4DF9-9E93-BDE07857E499.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  26.8 KB

Yep!

Do you have a Yeti cup holder in yours?

Name:  08B267DB-5A1B-4DF9-9E93-BDE07857E499.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  26.8 KB
    That spot is usually where I stuff my rolled up WeatherTech sun shade. Sometimes on the engine shelf under the cargo net where the cat rides, but behind the passenger seat is easiest.

I didn't realize it first, but just to clarify; I wasn't sure if the GT4 can fit long gun cases laid lengthwise down the hatch, across the engine shelf. I don't know if there's intake goonery across it like the GT4RS, which would preclude the stowage of long guns.

Also, if you're having trouble finding a place for the phone, I use this: https://t-design9.com/phone_mount_ma...he_magnum.html

My 718 doesn't have the wireless charging compartment in the center console, so I plug it in with the cord coming out fairly inconspicuously (in my opinion, YMMV) from the glove box, and it piggybacks nicely on top of the entertainment screen.

Name:  IMG-20221008-WA0000.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  55.6 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List