Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    and 300hp is more than enough for a car of this weight for track days
    I suppose, the weight is about 1350 kg (2980 lbs) including the driver and quite full tank, right? That would be a hot ratio of 0,22 hp/kg.

For my car, it's 85 PS and 1000 kg = 0,085.
    But for my motorbike Honda CBR600RR, it's 120 PS and 240 kg (incl. rider and fuel) = 0,50.

The best way I can put it, is if any of you have ever driven a Lotus Elise....it's like driving an Elise but with way more torque, a more compliant ride, and a little bit less steering feel since it's electric instead of a manual rack. It's really a perfect sports car.
    Sounds great. Then I suppose, you would be way faster in the corners than most (all?) motorbikes and riders. I like the Elise, too.
    Last edited by P30; 06-24-2021 at 07:10 AM.

*squints at thread title*. Shakes head. I’ve obviously failed here.

Kidding. Very cool. Definitely looking forward to more pictures and details.

Hammertime

The handling of this car is fucking gnarly. It's tough to describe how well balanced it is and how it points into corners. The best way I can put it, is if any of you have ever driven a Lotus Elise....it's like driving an Elise but with way more torque, a more compliant ride, and a little bit less steering feel since it's electric instead of a manual rack. It's really a perfect sports car.

This is TGS in a few months:

Congrats. Sliding in a mid engine car is a different experience from every car/truck I have ever driven. A track day would be a nice place to explore those dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

Congrats. Sliding in a mid engine car is a different experience from every car/truck I have ever driven. A track day would be a nice place to explore those dynamics.
    Given this is P-F.com and it'd be heresy to buy something and not put in a respectable amount of training, I'm allocating money for the 2-day performance course at Porsche's school in Birmingham. I'm not sure if it's a site error, but they show them being fully booked for the rest of the year and the schedule stops at January.

I've got about 2.5 weeks of high performance driving school under my belt as is, but I'd rather not learn a mid-engine platform on my own, sans instruction, and pay for running it 8/10s by putting it into a wall.

I also just joined the Porsche Club of America with the idea of getting to some driver education events. Haven't done a deep dive into the chapter's activities yet, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Nothing special in terms of what Porsche offers, actually! Just a solid base car. 2019 718 Cayman in Midnight Blue with PDK and sport package, with 13000 miles. I was indifferent towards PDK vs manual since it will be my only car. I went into the dealership for a 2018 718 Cayman in Agate Grey with a manual, but it had already sold and the website hadn't updated. Likewise, they were actually kind of upset (but not at me) when I told them I wanted to see the 2019 midnight blue model as was listed in their inventory with pictures, because the dealership had taken in the car yesterday and "the picture guy" wasn't supposed to list it on the website yet since they hadn't even had enough time to do the CPO inspection/maintenance.

The other route I was thinking of going is with a 2014 Cayman S, which would allow me to get a larger displacement NA engine that could "grow" with me as I got mo'betta at track days. However, sitting in the 2019 718, I really enjoyed the fact it's basically new condition and low mileage. Finding the right Cayman can be tough as well, given they only import about 5,000 per year. In any case, I test drove it and was surprisingly happy with the car as is for a base model. While an older S model would be cool, the power is punchy throughout the entire RPM range on the newer turbo 4, and probably more fun on the street than the flat 6 because of that, and 300hp is more than enough for a car of this weight for track days. This one kind of just hit all the wickets for what I was looking for with a newer CPO model, so I jumped on it. For instance, I wanted the sport package but not PASM......and I specifically wanted 18" wheels to not only ensure ride compliance for weekend trips with my wife, but also because 18" tires are significantly cheaper than 19" and especially 20"....the latter also being more susceptible to damage. IMO, too many people buy cars and put big ass rims on them, which are worse in pretty much every way except looks.

The handling of this car is fucking gnarly. It's tough to describe how well balanced it is and how it points into corners. The best way I can put it, is if any of you have ever driven a Lotus Elise....it's like driving an Elise but with way more torque, a more compliant ride, and a little bit less steering feel since it's electric instead of a manual rack. It's really a perfect sports car.

Thanks Doc. I'll try to get more pictures as time goes on using my wife's iPhone. My Moto G Power takes shit pictures compared to hers. I just figured someone had to post a picture of a new Porsche to keep the spirit of @RJs thread alive
    Thanks for the details, and congrats. Have been bitten by the 911 bug lately, particularly in AWD. Having a front engine, RWD car with 600+ HP, tends to give one traction envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Thanks for the details, and congrats. Have been bitten by the 911 bug lately, particularly in AWD. Having a front engine, RWD car with 600+ HP, tends to give one traction envy.
    I can see that! The 911 4S is pretty awesome.

We're certainly in a golden age of performance vehicles. What are you driving?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Given this is P-F.com and it'd be heresy to buy something and not put in a respectable amount of training, I'm allocating money for the 2-day performance course at Porsche's school in Birmingham. I'm not sure if it's a site error, but they show them being fully booked for the rest of the year and the schedule stops at January.

I've got about 2.5 weeks of high performance driving school under my belt as is, but I'd rather not learn a mid-engine platform on my own, sans instruction, and pay for running it 8/10s by putting it into a wall.

I also just joined the Porsche Club of America with the idea of getting to some driver education events. Haven't done a deep dive into the chapter's activities yet, though.
    You’ll have a blast at the school, Barber’s is just down the road from me and is an awesome track and the premier motorcycle museum in the country, (iirc largest collection in the world) if you come in a day early or late it’s definitely worth the price of admission if you have an interest in motorcycles. The Bohemian Hotel is one of the nicest hotels in the city, they’ve got a cool little elevated patio/bar in addition to the banquet hall and the scenery in the area ain’t bad at all. Plus, there’s several other restaurants and shops a 3 minute walk from the hotel door. It’s also right across the street from the botanical gardens and zoo.

Hit me up with a PM if you have any other questions about the area.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

My wife and I have done both the 2 and 3 day (masters) school there and the instructors are top notch.

You’ll be impressed with the capabilities of even stock cars!

They do book out way in advance so unfortunately not a typo. They’ll have the next year’s schedule later in the year so call and ask them when they’re about to open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

Name:  A014D0EF-70E9-4399-B3A7-4F649AFB2507.jpeg
Views: 267
Size:  90.4 KB

User Tag List