Page 57 of 78 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

We flew up to NYC to take look at this one-owner CPO ‘17 991.2 yesterday.

The numbers just worked, so we bought it, and are in the process of driving it back to Tampa. 500 miles today and we are overnighting in Rocky Mount NC.

Been looking at 911’s for a while, but finding the right car (silver/black interior, 7MT, Sport Chrono) at the right price point in the right condition with the right history has been tricky.
    Time to wrap up the thread as I'm now two years in to ownership of the 991.2.

Still absolutely love the car.

The most recent service took place today, swapping out two struts that hold the rear deck lid up, no charge at Suncoast Porsche here in Sarasota.

Some facts and figures from my tracking spreadsheet:

- Average Service and Repair cost - $1,090 per year
    - Biggest service expense: Four tires @ $1,962
    - Depreciation - nil
    - Actual miles / actual gallons - 24.5 mpg

Starting in August, I begin the two years of the "certified pre-owned", as the four year OEM warranty ends. I'll keep the car through that; whether I continue to run it out of warranty probably depends on how reliable it ends up. So far, I don't see any reason to change it for something else, as it meets almost every need I have for a fast, fun, capable touring car with a standard transmission, which is pretty hard to find these days.

This has been a fun thread, but I'll probably go ahead and stop posting any further updates, less if someone wants to ask a question, or if something really interesting happens. I've really enjoyed the experience, and genuinely appreciate all the comments.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    - Actual miles / actual gallons - 24.5 mpg

The lack of depreciation and gas mileage are pretty epic for a car with that performance.

A yearly update would be nice, let us know how she is holding up.

I am getting ready for my once-a-year oil change, 2 jugs of Castrol from Wally World and new filter from FCP. And then need to either do the brake fluid myself (and buy a vacuum pump) or pay a local shop to probably screw it up (each caliper has 2 nipples, which is not normal) .

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I am getting ready for my once-a-year oil change, 2 jugs of Castrol from Wally World and new filter from FCP. And then need to either do the brake fluid myself (and buy a vacuum pump) or pay a local shop to probably screw it up (each caliper has 2 nipples, which is not normal).
    I've heard great things about ordering from FCP.

Probably not telling you anything you don't know already, but from what I recall from reading 991 threads on rennlist, the general procedure for using e.g. a Motive Power Bleeder is to attach it to the MC and bleed cylinders in turn. As in, from farthest to closest, and I don't recall if they said to do outer then inner on each WC. I can't imagine it being too different between a 987/981/991. I will look in the Factory Service Manual and see if there's a guide.

EDIT Looks like for a 991 at least you do the outer first?

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  67.7 KB

I sold my Motive after I moved to Atlanta, but I did use it a few times on my E46. I'd suck out the fluid from the MC with a turkey baster, refill it with fresh, then do the WCs in turn until good clean fluid came out. The Motive really made the job easy.

Thanks. Yup, looking at the Motive.

And boom, your back in this thread! Haha

I thought the 986 said inside then outside bleeder, per caliper. This guy on YouTube is also a member of 986forum and has great videos.

Used to have a red 911 and LOVED it. Man I wish I still had that car. Would buy one in a heartbeat if wife would go for it.

Uh oh....

I did a thing.

Name:  IMG_20210623_130905834_HDR.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  96.9 KB

@JRB
    Last edited by TGS; 06-23-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Uh oh....

I did a thing.

@JRB
    Congrats. That thing is amazing moar pics please!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Uh oh....

I did a thing.

@JRB
    Details please!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Details please!
    Nothing special in terms of what Porsche offers, actually! Just a solid base car. 2019 718 Cayman in Midnight Blue with PDK and sport package, with 13000 miles. I was indifferent towards PDK vs manual since it will be my only car. I went into the dealership for a 2018 718 Cayman in Agate Grey with a manual, but it had already sold and the website hadn't updated. Likewise, they were actually kind of upset (but not at me) when I told them I wanted to see the 2019 midnight blue model as was listed in their inventory with pictures, because the dealership had taken in the car yesterday and "the picture guy" wasn't supposed to list it on the website yet since they hadn't even had enough time to do the CPO inspection/maintenance.

The other route I was thinking of going is with a 2014 Cayman S, which would allow me to get a larger displacement NA engine that could "grow" with me as I got mo'betta at track days. However, sitting in the 2019 718, I really enjoyed the fact it's basically new condition and low mileage. Finding the right Cayman can be tough as well, given they only import about 5,000 per year. In any case, I test drove it and was surprisingly happy with the car as is for a base model. While an older S model would be cool, the power is punchy throughout the entire RPM range on the newer turbo 4, and probably more fun on the street than the flat 6 because of that, and 300hp is more than enough for a car of this weight for track days. This one kind of just hit all the wickets for what I was looking for with a newer CPO model, so I jumped on it. For instance, I wanted the sport package but not PASM......and I specifically wanted 18" wheels to not only ensure ride compliance for weekend trips with my wife, but also because 18" tires are significantly cheaper than 19" and especially 20"....the latter also being more susceptible to damage. IMO, too many people buy cars and put big ass rims on them, which are worse in pretty much every way except looks.

The handling of this car is fucking gnarly. It's tough to describe how well balanced it is and how it points into corners. The best way I can put it, is if any of you have ever driven a Lotus Elise....it's like driving an Elise but with way more torque, a more compliant ride, and a little bit less steering feel since it's electric instead of a manual rack. It's really a perfect sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Congrats. That thing is amazing moar pics please!
    Thanks Doc. I'll try to get more pictures as time goes on using my wife's iPhone. My Moto G Power takes shit pictures compared to hers. I just figured someone had to post a picture of a new Porsche to keep the spirit of @RJs thread alive
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List