Page 46 of 78 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How much driving time did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    How much driving time did you get?
    My wife and I each got 90 minutes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I each got 90 minutes.
    That’s not bad. I’m going to have to find a reason to go through there.

Hammertime
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...rs-car-winner/

Nicely done Carerra S

"The Porsche blitzes the competition in terms of creating a cohesive, beautifully resolved driver's car," Head 2 Head co-host Jethro Bovingdon gushed after he spent some time behind the wheel of the 911 on the back roads of Southern and Central California, on our demanding closed-course road test on State Route 198, and on WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. "It melds every control and input until the experience feels seamless and utterly intuitive, polished to such an extent that every other car appears rough around the edges. It's easy to drive yet rewarding to push and prod, fluid but keyed right into the road surface. It's another bloody brilliant 911.""

However:

"These and other options brought our as-tested tab to $143,350."
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-24-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...rs-car-winner/

Nicely done Carerra S

"The Porsche blitzes the competition in terms of creating a cohesive, beautifully resolved driver's car," Head 2 Head co-host Jethro Bovingdon gushed after he spent some time behind the wheel of the 911 on the back roads of Southern and Central California, on our demanding closed-course road test on State Route 198, and on WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. "It melds every control and input until the experience feels seamless and utterly intuitive, polished to such an extent that every other car appears rough around the edges. It's easy to drive yet rewarding to push and prod, fluid but keyed right into the road surface. It's another bloody brilliant 911.""

However:

"These and other options brought our as-tested tab to $143,350."
    Way out of my price range. But I can dream.

Way out of my price range. But I can dream.
    You can get a well-optioned ‘17 or ‘18 base Carrera for half that or around 70/80. CPO might be a bit more.

The 991s especially the 991.2s (from 2017) don’t seem to have major issues. The twin turbo motor has a lot of grunt, making it a very satisfactory daily driver.

As 992s continue to be bought, Is expect downward pressure on 991.2 prices, as everyone wants the new hotness.

And unless you are a track junky, I’m not sure the ‘S’ is a much different experience on public roads, at legal speeds anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    You can get a well-optioned ‘17 or ‘18 base Carrera for half that or around 70/80. CPO might be a bit more.

The 991s especially the 991.2s (from 2017) don’t seem to have major issues. The twin turbo motor has a lot of grunt, making it a very satisfactory daily driver.

As 992s continue to be bought, Is expect downward pressure on 991.2 prices, as everyone wants the new hotness.

And unless you are a track junky, I’m not sure the ‘S’ is a much different experience on public roads, at legal speeds anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been looking, but 60-65k is my max. CPO 718s are where my search is now, with prices averaging in the low 50s and S models at the top. Although I think a base maybe the best choice. Most of the 911s in that price range aren’t as appealing a car for the money spent (mileage, dated, options, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    And on racetracks with curves, the lap time depends much more on the driver than on the car. Only if the drivers are on the same level, then the car decides.

I have experienced this many times with my motorbike on Grand Prix tracks. A great rider on a 125 cc bike is faster than an average Joe on a 1000 cc 200 hp bike.
    Last edited by P30; 10-26-2019 at 11:53 AM.

I have been looking, but 60-65k is my max. CPO 718s are where my search is now, with prices averaging in the low 50s and S models at the top. Although I think a base maybe the best choice. Most of the 911s in that price range aren’t as appealing a car for the money spent (mileage, dated, options, etc)
    Gotcha, and totally respect the price guidance.

Ok, so maybe a dumb question but have you driven a 981, a 718, and/or a 911 (991 or 991.2)?

They are pretty different beasts.

My '14 981 was an S, and had the NA 3.4L motor. Much fun was to be had but it was all north of 4,000 RPM. The car was nimble and light on it's feet, but had zero for interior room aside for you and your passenger. The hatch in the rear was pretty useful, and the frunk swallowed everything else.

A 718 is going to be generally with either the 2.0 or 2.5 Turbo 4 pot. The noise factor is what you make of it; you either are ok with it sounding a lot like a Subaru (the purist view) or are happy with the grunt of the T and don't, really, care about the engine sound. (I think this seems to be a generational thing; aging baby boomers like me prefer the 6, younger drivers like the T motor. But the line is pretty gray.) Interior wise, though, a 718 is almost identical to the 981, with upgraded tech commensurate with year.

In either car, you tend to be invisible. Caymans sell at such a low rate, that hardly anyone I ran into knew it was a Porsche without looking at the badge. It's just not that common.

A 911 is a different animal, altogether. Features and layout are fundamentally different than the Caymans. It's a bigger, more "adult" (?) sized car. As a top of the line model, even the Carrera has more things than the 981/718 cars. There's also the 2+2 factor (the +2 is only for Hobbit sized humans, though) but the rear deck offers a lot of interior room. The motor (NA in the 2012-2016 991, 3.0l T in the 2017-2019 991.2 is usefully powerful. In particular, the T motor in my car is very satisfactory as a daily driver. It is huge fun to commute in 5th or 6th and just breathe on the throttle to zip past other cars, rapidly, very rapidly indeed (cough).

My 911 is only the second car I've ever owned where people routinely move to the right as I approach (the other was my Melbourne Red DINAN tuned S65 powered E92 M3. ) It's like Moses parting the Red Sea lol. You also tend to get every A hole in a ricer cutting you off and swerving past. This happens on a fairly regular basis. I'm usually like, what the hell, I'm just driving to work (as unlikely as it sounds, I am a pretty laid back commuter.)

So if you have a mind for a Cayman, that is cool. But I would not, really, cross shop a Cayman and a 911 given they are so different cars, fundamentally.

At 65K, you are looking at a fairly recent 718, possibly an S, that could be a one or two year old CPO. CPOs seem to pop up at 2 year, off lease cars, but not 1 year old due to the CPO cost the dealer incurs to CPO a car; since a 1 year old car will have 3 years of OEM warranty left.

Hope this helps. They are amazing cars; once you start driving them, it's really hard to drive anything else.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-26-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Here's a 718 example:

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...allic+24317397

In MN: $65K CPO 17 718S with MT in Saphire Blue.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-26-2019 at 10:50 PM.

User Tag List