Page 30 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Great car choice 👍

How would you compare ownership costs vs your M3?

I have the v8 sedan 6mt. In the past I had a z06 I tracked and autcrossed, but I have kids now. Other than an Evo or still, not many cars can do it all.

Now that my warranty expires this year I'm considering buying a Toyota SUV or truck and another car just to play with. The m3 "rod bearing issue" makes me nervous with no warranty.
    4D M3 - Nice.

I liked my E92 Here's me on Tail of the Dragon one year:

Attachment 34612

I'd say ownership costs are "less" for the Porsche. At least for my sample of one, ymmv greatly of course.

The 981 Cayman, for whatever reason, seems to not have, really, any systemic issues, at least from browsing the P-car forums (Rennlist, Planet 9, etc.) The most common issues are door panel warping (not on mine yet), headliner droop (not mine, either; although my A-pillar seems sketchy, see above a few dozen posts - it's been fine since I tucked it back.) Oh and the headlights polymer seems to craze over time.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-26-2019 at 02:42 PM.

@rob_s and anyone else interested in routine service, I found this service cost guide, for everything from the initial 10K service all the way through 100K, plus, at the end, a few a la carte items.

Hopefully this will help answer the question of what to expect, for routine service costs, at least for a 981 Cayman or Boxter, at the approximately 2018 time frame, for a Kentucky Dealer:

Attachment 34620
    Last edited by RJ; 01-26-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It doesn't drive quite like a Porsche, but it's still ~350 hp, RWD with LSD, six speed manual, big brakes, sport suspension, leather, no sunroof. It's good enough that my boss upgraded his BMW about two months after I got it. His BMW basically hit all the same marks, plus some annoying stuff you couldn't turn off, for three times the price. Not saying correlation equals causation, but he sure did seem happy with the BMW up until then.
    Welp, that’s a little different than the cherry red used 2007 Elantra I bought my daughter when she got accepted into college, that I was picturing in my head when you said Hyundai.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Welp, that’s a little different than the cherry red used 2007 Elantra I bought my daughter when she got accepted into college, that I was picturing in my head when you said Hyundai.
    Today’s Hyundai is a different animal. The company has come a long way in the last ten years.

On the other hand, we were thoroughly disappointed with our 2018 Honda Accord 1.5t. Noisy, tinny, vibration, unexplained rattles; we gave up after a year.

Mrs. traded it for a Lexus RX350 and is much much happier. That thing is solid as a rock. She loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Appointment made with the local dealer on Wednesday. Price quote is 4 figures for both axles, less my PCA 10% Discount, plus tax. Sigh. It is what it is.

Couple pics, pre-work. AFAIK these are the original rotors and pads.

Front left:

Rear left:

Curious the rears are noticeably more worn than the front. The rear rotors have a distinctive lip. The front is not as bad, but still.

I made a solemn promise to my wife I would drop off the car at the Service Bay AND I WOULD NOT EVEN LOOK AT THE NEW 911s IN THE SHOWROOM. NOT EVEN A PEEK.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-03-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I WOULD NOT EVEN LOOK AT THE NEW 911s IN THE SHOWROOM. NOT EVEN A PEEK.
    I don’t see the appeal of an engine behind the rear axle. They are pretty, but handle weird. There is probably a reason no one else on earth puts the engine there (to my knowledge.) I only drove one (2006 model) once and it was ten years old with a decent amount of miles, I was completely underwhelmed.

My drive in a newish Boxster in a mountain road back in 2001 was amazing! It completely lived up the the hype Porsche had in my mind at the time.

The Cayman is a superior design in most ways.

Well Rich you could come over to Toyota and get the new Supra....it’s completely a rebadged BMW Z4. I was very disappointed (Supra heritage) when I was reading up on it.

I’ll stick with my RCF and may look into a 2020 RCF Track Package in the future.

By the way, stop driving like a grandma and burn through the front brakes and not the rears. I kid...I kid, well maybe not!

AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post

By the way, stop driving like a grandma and burn through the front brakes and not the rears. I kid...I kid, well maybe not!
    Yeah, don't you think that is kind of odd?

The front rotor lip must be 1mm or so; the rear at least 2 maybe 3mm.

Assuming they are OEM and original to the car (50K), I've never heard of rears wearing before fronts; unless it is some odd Porsche thing. I'm thinking maybe the fronts got at least pads at some point, but I dunno.

EDIT: Found this; interesting:

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...-and-bearings/

"Another factor that has accelerated brake wear (especially rear brake wear) in certain late model vehicles is the change to electronic brake proportioning. The proportioning valve that normally reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has been eliminated so the rear brakes will handle a higher percentage of the brake load and be more aggressive. The antilock brake system performs the job of brake proportioning by keeping an eye on how the rear brakes are behaving. If the rear brakes start to lock up when braking hard, the ABS system kicks in and cycles pressure to the rear wheels to prevent them from skidding.

This approach helps the vehicle stop in a shorter distance, but also increases rear brake wear dramatically. This means the rear brakes will often wear out before the front brakes."
    Last edited by RJ; 02-03-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Yeah, don't you think that is kind of odd?

The front rotor lip must be 1mm or so; the rear at least 2 maybe 3mm.

Assuming they are OEM and original to the car (50K), I've never heard of rears wearing before fronts; unless it is some odd Porsche thing. I'm thinking maybe the fronts got at least pads at some point, but I dunno.
    Nope not weird, common with cautious drivers that brake slowly way before needing to. My wife does that and always wears the pads/rotors in the rear first. Now me on the other hand hits the brakes fairly hard during spirited driving.

AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Nope not weird, common with cautious drivers that brake slowly way before needing to. My wife does that and always wears the pads/rotors in the rear first. Now me on the other hand hits the brakes fairly hard during spirited driving.

Well (cough) to be fair, I’ve only driven it 9k miles and at my first service, the guy tells me I need new brakes...

User Tag List