Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Can't do much to talk ya out of the Cayman. They're a killer looking car that checks most of the boxes and their GT4 or GTS are pretty slick cars at a reasonable price. I'm years from ever considering one but I can still want.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Can you afford the maintenance? Call a dealership and ask costs of oil change, replacing busted head light, or water pump or starter replacement.
    Oil and light are easy as hell, FWIW.

German cars aren't some mythical beast that requires mjolnir and the guy who can swing it to work on them.
    Last edited by orionz06; 04-18-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

New Mazda MX-5 would be my choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I guess I'm not the only one with nostalgia for the era of air-cooled Porsches.
    I had a 914 in high school that I still miss. It cost $1500, had no intact weather stripping, and a lot of rust. I'd like to get another one some day now that I make more than $4.75 per hour.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I heard a certified Porsche nut say "There is nothing as expensive as a cheap Porsche".

He usually has 4 of them in his barn/garage at a time.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

After leasing an Audi A6, I would never purchase a used luxury German sports car/sedan. Within the first six months, that $60k car had been in service for non-regular scheduled maintenance three separate times, one of which was an electrical ghost that was never fixed but just happened to go away some months later. On that third visit, I may have shown a bit of frustration, and the service manager commented "I would never buy a German luxury brand outside of the manufacturers warranty". My experience through the three year lease, along with that comment, was good enough for me. I'm back to Toyota's.

I guess my suggestion would be, if you want a fun weekend German sports car, look into leasing one with all the scheduled maintenance covered. You'll get to experience the latest and greatest (fun), have a worry-free experience (fun), and you can walk away from it when done (fun).

somehow I figured Rich as one of these guys...

Yea, I want one of them too.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    So...I got permission to look at getting a ‘fun’ car for basic weekend duties, date night, etc. I’ve always liked the Boxter, and when they made the Cayman I really liked the hardtop styling.
    The Wife just rolled her eyes when I mentioned the ‘P’ word. So I thought I’d ask here, in case there was some info available from you guys. Y’all gotta talk me out of this if I’m nuts.
    Mid-life crisis? I've been there, and no one should try to talk you out of scratching that itch. Mine was a British Racing Green Jaguar. Maintenance costs over the next several years cured the itch, but the Jaguar sure was fun while it lasted. Go buy that Cayman and scratch away!

You will be looking for excuses to take a drive. Grocery run, you're on it. Forget one unnecessary item at the grocery store? You happily drive back to get it. Forget one unnecessary item at the store on purpose? Then, you're really having fun with the Porsche and you know you purchased the right "fun" car.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    After leasing an Audi A6, I would never purchase a used luxury German sports car/sedan. Within the first six months, that $60k car had been in service for non-regular scheduled maintenance three separate times...
    Agree—at least with respect to Audis and VWs. Never again.

I still lust after a BMW M3 though.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    After leasing an Audi A6, I would never purchase a used luxury German sports car/sedan. Within the first six months, that $60k car had been in service for non-regular scheduled maintenance three separate times, one of which was an electrical ghost that was never fixed but just happened to go away some months later. On that third visit, I may have shown a bit of frustration, and the service manager commented "I would never buy a German luxury brand outside of the manufacturers warranty". My experience through the three year lease, along with that comment, was good enough for me. I'm back to Toyota's.

I guess my suggestion would be, if you want a fun weekend German sports car, look into leasing one with all the scheduled maintenance covered. You'll get to experience the latest and greatest (fun), have a worry-free experience (fun), and you can walk away from it when done (fun).
    This mirrors my personal experience.

Site Supporter

I like driving my Mercedes (E350 with sport suspension), and my wife really likes her Mercedes mid-size SUV. But because of the maintenance costs post-warranty we will probably not go that route again.

User Tag List