Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

This thread made me look up what used 993s ('95-'98 911, last gen with air-cooled engines) go for now. Unfortunately for me and anyone else who once dreamed of owning one, it looks like they've started to appreciate. Low-to-mid miles examples appear to range from 50K-90K, with some 993TTs listing for more than base price on a *new* 911 Turbo. I guess I'm not the only one with nostalgia for the era of air-cooled Porsches.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    This thread made me look up what used 993s ('95-'98 911, last gen with air-cooled engines) go for now. Unfortunately for me and anyone else who once dreamed of owning one, it looks like they've started to appreciate. Low-to-mid miles examples appear to range from 50K-90K, with some 993TTs listing for more than base price on a *new* 911 Turbo. I guess I'm not the only one with nostalgia for the era of air-cooled Porsches.
    964s and 993s are the new collectible hotness, have been for several years. The prices have actually stabilized some, two years ago clean 993 Carreras were bringing 80k+. They're now back down to ~60k or so.

If one wants an aircooled 911, the car(s) to look for are '76-89 era 911s (particularly SCs). Rubber bumper cars still aren't super collectible, though the value on them has risen steadily for the last few years. You can still get into a nicely optioned, 1 or 2 owner car for <$35k, but I wouldn't expect that to hold out much longer.

In my opinion, the best deals in collectible Porsches are actually in late 356s, currently. Driver quality cars have dropped from their highs of 100-120k down to 60-70k. You can sometimes find a '63/64 356 in need of minor work to be driveable down at 45-50k. They're usually numbers mis-matched cars or even VW motor swapped cars. But really, who cares? That's a 356 you wouldn't mind driving regularly.

My buddy has a '74 911E that he has offered me at a steal, I just can't swing it currently. It's a nice, driver quality resto, with Bilsteins and a short shifter, but it still has the original 2.7 and is pretty...lackadaisical to drive. But for the price offered, I doubt I could find another like it. I'm just not crazy about short hood/rubber bumper cars. I think I'd almost rather have a 356.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My buddy is on the list for a GT3. You should get one of those. Does that help?
    Wonder if we have the same pal......British Racing Green with a 6 speed?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Nope. White. 6MT. Carbon brakes. Buckets. He almost settled for a gray one that showed up a couple weeks ago, but decided to wait for the one he wants

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    964s and 993s are the new collectible hotness, have been for several years. The prices have actually stabilized some, two years ago clean 993 Carreras were bringing 80k+. They're now back down to ~60k or so.

If one wants an aircooled 911, the car(s) to look for are '76-89 era 911s (particularly SCs). Rubber bumper cars still aren't super collectible, though the value on them has risen steadily for the last few years. You can still get into a nicely optioned, 1 or 2 owner car for <$35k, but I wouldn't expect that to hold out much longer.
    Unfortunately, I'm kind of stuck on the 993. I turned 16 in late 1994; I'm sure that's not a difficult equation to solve. That's not to say that if finances and opportunity ever come together the right way, I couldn't be happy with a 1980s Carrera or Turbo, but ever since I first saw it in the pages of my dad's Car and Driver magazine, I've loved the 993.

Phenomenal sports car.

EXPENSIVE to maintain and absolutely expensive to repair. Less so than, say, a Ferrari but unless you have done well financially... [emoji51]

Now, if I won the PowerBall I'd have:

Cayman GT4
    GT3 Manual

A GT3RS would be nice but probably next to impossible to obtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Buy an Accuracy International with Nightforce BEAST optics, Spuhr mount, SOCOM suppressor and twenty magazines instead.

[emoji41]

Last edited by Mjolnir; 04-18-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Buy an Accuracy International with Nightforce BEAST optics, Spuhr mount, SOCOM suppressor and twenty magazines instead.

[emoji41]
    Furiously smashing the Like button
    #RESIST

Rich, here are my reasons to say no.

1-Just because you bought an HK doesn't mean you should buy a German car.

2-If you really want a German car, buy a http://wiesmann.com/#home

3-IMO old guy in a sports car is so cliché.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Furiously smashing the Like button
    LOL!!!

If I had a PowerBall win, brother, I'd have the Porsches & the Accuracy International plus the Leupold Spotting scope with matching TREMOR3 reticles.

LOL!!!

User Tag List