Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Few days ago I had the windows down and a clear on-ramp. I went past Wow! almost up to OMG! on the tach in 2nd gear, with the yowl of that flat six reverberating in my ears. It was fun.
    Yeah, I followed another USPSA shooter's 911 on an on-ramp as we were both leaving a match a few weeks back. Knew what I was in for, shut off my radio, rolled down the windows, and enjoyed the beautiful music his car was making. Flat sixes are just pure awesomeness to listen to, and it still sounded good even mixed with the much lamer sound of my 4-cylinder turbo VW engine.

Congratulations! What is the most frivolous errand you have run so far?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Here’s the best one I found, not my car but the sound is identical:

https://youtu.be/BM0HLOboyBU
    Love it! Enjoy the car, Porsche is on my bucket list of car companies to own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Congratulations! What is the most frivolous errand you have run so far?
    Welllll...Sunday after a wash, I zipped up the 4 lane to uh...dust off the brakes.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

So...after almost two months of daily driving, back and forth to work, a total of 32 miles a day, I just wanted to reflect on how the car is measuring up as a daily commuter.

I love it.

I’m getting an average of 22 mpg on Costco 93 octane. I’ve seen a high of 28 mpg, after a relaxed highway drive.

No problems to report. The Idle is a bit erratic at first, with a few bumbles when the engine is cold; this may eventually need looking at as it’s possible the coil packs are on their way out. Once oil is above 100° no problem. Or it might just be how these flat sixes are. I dunno. Otherwise, not a single problem.

There are a few quirks. The meep-meep locking sound from the VAG-sourced horn sounds like a Road Runner cartoon. The bright red central dash “doors are locked” LED is inexplicably on 100% of time. I have the base manual seats, and no automatic AC. Just minor quibbles.

The daily livability of the car has been a big surprise. It is very practical and extremely un-fussy. No issues driving over speed bumps, as in my BMW E92 M3. The dual trunk spaces front (9 cu ft) and back (15 cu ft) offer useful storage; we routinely use the car to get groceries or go to Lowes. The strong AC cools off the cabin quickly in 95° Florida days. The wipers front and rear work very well in the rain. It makes a surprisingly easy daily driver.

The chassis is fantastic; extremely stiff but with a very compliant feeling over bumps. The overall balance and precision of the “right now” steering is not unlike a go kart. There is a huge connection to the road which even a talent-less geezer like me can appreciate.

The way the rear wing automatically extends above a certain point is totally cool. Super discrete and really seems to help reduce lift at...uh...highway speeds. The ‘Sport’ button crisps up the throttle response, but I also discovered it also enables the oil coolers in the side panels, lowering Oil temps from 217°F to around 194°.

From a design standpoint, I love the integrated form and overall proportion. The body seems to have just the right shape, front, rear or side.

On the drivetrain: the combination of the short but mechanical throw of the 6MT and the engine “revability” generates a spine tingling flat 6 Yowl. 325 HP and 273 lb-ft of torque with a car weight of 2,900 lbs, generates a very satisfactory and robust sub 0-60 time of just under 5.0 seconds. It’s not a Corvette but it is reasonably quick, especially if kept on the boil. And damn it sounds good.

I visited the local Porsche Dealer to ask about a Paint stick, and made a great discovery - this is actually a CPO car, with a full Porsche factory warranty through November 2019. Cool.

Overall, this is the best, most enjoyable car I’ve ever owned.

Last edited by RJ; 06-23-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    I spend enough money on gun threads of P-F , I do not need this temptation!

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I spend enough money on gun threads of P-F , I do not need this temptation!
    You totally need one of these.

https://youtu.be/6MJiUAsJA9w

Site Supporter
    You totally need one of these.

https://youtu.be/6MJiUAsJA9w
    Get thee behind me Satan! I have the G19 of two doors anyway - a 2011 BMW 335.

Well done from the owner of a 70 built to 73 RS Specs! Sadly I can only afford one P CAR, and though I would love a daily driver, I will stand pat with the one below. That said it is sitting in the garage waiting for more time on my part while you are enjoying yours!
    Name:  5837323lg1060015322.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by 60Driver; 06-25-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Silver is to Porsche what Red is to Ferrari.
    correct!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...racing_colours

But, that doesn't change the fact that I still want a Miata in "British" racing green...

User Tag List