Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This thing was at my workplace the other day. Looked like a bunch of fun. I wouldn’t fit in it, but looked fun.
    I used to look at those and say "cool". Now I say "I'd hit my head on the roof when getting in every damn time. " Refer back to there's cars I really wanted until I drove one. First time I tried to get in a Jaguar I thought I took the top half of my ear off....
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-18-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I can see your points Rob, but what you're missing is the cool factor which is the only factor that matters. And the GT simply just rates higher on the cool factor than a Porsche.

Sorry bro it's just science.
    The GT is actually pretty lame, overall, in my opinion. Mostly, because Ford won't sell them to anyone. And because 450k price tag. At 450k, you can get a fully loaded 911 GT2 RS and have cash left over for a modest house or at least for several sets of tires and oil changes.

Plus, unlike the Ford - it will probably run forever and not break down every ten minutes (Road and Track has already broken two in basic reviews, not even substantial testing).

Also, the GT2 RS has 50 horsepower and weighs 100 pounds less than the GT. It's gonna suck when your 450k supercar gets roasted by a squished beetle...

Don't get me wrong, I love Fords (hell my dog's name is Ford), but the GT is lame compared to doing it like Porsche does.

Nobody (NOBODY I SAY) uses clutch pedals anymore, they're a relic of the ancient age of racing. Compooters do it all faster than the humans in a marginal effort to take over the world.
    Most sequential gearboxes in race cars still have clutch pedals, man. Like probably 90% of race cars at all levels of racing are clutch equipped. Only F1, Prototype, and drag cars don't have clutch pedals and that's pretty much the boring'est racing there is....

I refuse to entertain buying cars without clutch pedals. I own three cars currently, all have clutch pedals. And the last three cars I owned had clutch pedals too.

I had an instructor at one of the HPDE's I attended that was a Cayman S owner. I used his "trick" to get around this one particular corner, and it worked REALLY well (snap off throttle to induce oversteer); surprised him and another instructor since I was driving a FWD vehicle (Dodge Neon SRT-4). Said Cayman S owner was also only slightly put out that I was faster than him. The Cayman R might be a little bit more of a challenge, but I'd be up for it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

@RevolverRob... I waited/hunted for 14 months to find a stick equipped version of the last vehicle I bought... and it was a Jeep!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Since I am a big Toyota fan and I never should have sold my 1988 Supra, I looked at used Supra's online. Holy Cow, they are expensive for old cars.
    You sir are a man of culture. The value seems to be going up every year. But I was referring to the new Supra they are coming out with next year in my original post. I need one of those in my life and Toyota hasn't even unveiled the car yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm 34 and three pedals is proper.
    I’m 32 and I concur. For the fun of driving a real manual is where it’s at. For people concerned with tenths on lap times the computers are better. I’ll keep my clutch. #getoffmylawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shouldn't offer an opinion. My wife just yelled at me for buying new summer tires for my Pontiac G8 GT. "How can anyone be so stupid as to buy tires you can't use in winter?"
    If your wife is OK with it, go for it. Lease it though; buying is overindulgence and financially ill-advised. You can always lease a new one in three years.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The GT is actually pretty lame
    See, I get you, and I'mma let you finish, but a Porsche looks like a butt.

Counter that, I dare you.

ETA: also, NOBODY I SAY
    Last edited by Peally; 04-18-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Nobody (NOBODY I SAY) uses clutch pedals anymore, they're a relic of the ancient age of racing. Compooters do it all faster than the humans in a marginal effort to take over the world.
    Houston is the third largest market in the country. Apparently, I'm the only person here who wanted a manual Genesis Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    An early 90's Toyota MR2 turbo will mop the floor with a base model Cayman and a really nice example of those starts around $8k.
    The hard thing about MR2s is the obsolete tire package. OD and widths that fit are hard to hit with modern rubber.

I actually saw the 1993 Turbo with a solid roof in Steel Mist Grey once. It had been an employee lease car, then ended up with some kid in Palmdale who riced it out. It is literally the unicorn of the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This thing was at my workplace the other day. Looked like a bunch of fun. I wouldn’t fit in it, but looked fun.
    I'm 6'4" and can drive a Boxster or Cayman all day. Do some stretches.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Rich - I had a 2005 BMW 330i ZHP - rearended in ATL traffic and totaled in ATL traffic on commute home. Took the money and bought a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG - rearended in ATL traffic on commute home. My "new" 335i is doomed or I just quit coming home from work.

As far as the Supra discussions - I bought a 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo as my "home from deployment" gift - my son and his "Fast and Furious" school crowd were so jealous.

Course I still have my car from college.

Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  100.8 KB

User Tag List