Page 45 of 78 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Der Blick pendelt weit voraus
    Don't know how to say this in English. Trial: Your vision focus should swing far ahead.
    New trial, I suppose it's not bad:

The point where you are looking to oscillates far ahead.

It shall mean: You look to a point far ahead, then to a closer point, then to a point far ahead, ...*

I have some questions:

1. What's the best English word for what a pendulum does? I mean: It swings in one direction, then in the other and then it repeats. Is it "to oscillate"?
    In German:
    Pendel = pendulum
    pendeln = the verb for what a pendulum does

2. Is there an English word for the point where you are looking to?

____
    * The faster you go, the farer you should look ahead, so that you are not surprised and have enough time to react. But you also have to verify where you are and this takes a look into your proximity (and sometimes you want to check what's going on close to you, e.g. whether the road is clean or not).
    Last edited by P30; 10-20-2019 at 03:36 AM.

A pendulum reciprocates in an arc, which is weird. Obviously it pendelns.

In English I would say your focus should shuttle out and back, with range proportional to speed.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    A pendulum reciprocates in an arc, which is weird.
    Yes, the comparison with a pendulum is not perfect. My focus does not cover the whole range in every iteration. It rather jumps to different points (sometimes during a blink of the eyes). On a race track or twisty road, it jumps from one reference point to the other (reference points are especially the corner entrance, apex, and corner exit). And then I and the vehicle nearly automatically go where I'm looking at.

I've read the advice in a book about motorcyle riding techniques, which is very highly regarded in Germany. Its title is "Die obere Hälfte des Motorrads" which means "The upper half of the motorbike". The title expresses the unity of rider and bike, they should become one. The Japanese call it "Jinba ittai". I think, it's an important concept, useful for pistol shooting, too (muscle memory and such things come to mind). I understood what the advice means and find such little useful sentences... well, very useful... and essential. They point to core techniques.

PS:
    mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/engineers/jinba-ittai-ideology:
    “There was a moment when I was driving that I suddenly no longer felt the existence of the car. I didn’t feel any ‘strangeness’. I thought, this is it.“

@RJ Are you jinba-ittaing with your Porsche, too?
    Last edited by P30; 10-20-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Back to buying cars...with the 718s coming off lease falling into my budget it has opened up more options for me. I was looking at a 1le Camaro ss, C7 grand sport , Audi S3/RS3 and BMW M2. After a day in Germany with a 718 GTS, Porsche moved to the top.

What should I be looking for (since pricing is pretty close) a 718 base Cayman with a few options? A prior gen S? Or for a little more a basic 718 S?

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Back to buying cars...with the 718s coming off lease falling into my budget it has opened up more options for me. I was looking at a 1le Camaro ss, C7 grand sport , Audi S3/RS3 and BMW M2. After a day in Germany with a 718 GTS, Porsche moved to the top.

What should I be looking for (since pricing is pretty close) a 718 base Cayman with a few options? A prior gen S? Or for a little more a basic 718 S?
    If you go to porscheusa.com and do a nationwide search for your model, you’ll get a good idea of dealer prices at the top end.

That’s how I found my 911.

Private sales are less. I’d also peruse the Porsche Club of America sales site. There are some nice cars there if you want to go that route.

Mileage and condition are important of course. But if you find one with the options you like, don’t hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    If you go to porscheusa.com and do a nationwide search for your model, you’ll get a good idea of dealer prices at the top end.

That’s how I found my 911.

Private sales are less. I’d also peruse the Porsche Club of America sales site. There are some nice cars there if you want to go that route.

Mileage and condition are important of course. But if you find one with the options you like, don’t hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m definitely searching those places already. A CPO is my first choice, so I mostly look at Porsche’s site. It’s pretty hard to find the manual sport Chrono cars though. If I could just sell my boat I’d have one in the garage already.

Still trying to decide if the sound of the older cars is worth more than the performance improvement from the 718.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Still trying to decide if the sound of the older cars is worth more than the performance improvement from the 718.
    My two cents; the joy of the Cayman is in the precise steering and sublime handling, vice the incremental acceleration boosts from the different engine variants. I'm not sure the juice of a half-second 0-60 gain from the S is worth the $12,000 squeeze over the base model.

The sound of the six doesn't move the needle for me, but there's something to be said for the linear power delivery. At the end of the day I give the edge to the 718.

Supposedly a non-GT4 six cylinder version of the Cayman is coming back; I suspect Porsche is sensitive to the performance of the new mid-engine Corvette and is looking to keep the Cayman fresh.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Name:  A52BDF89-636A-4FA4-8786-9E9E04D0F83A.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  96.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Name:  3152F0E4-8E6D-49A3-8E73-5B31E4B34EDC.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  46.2 KB

At the Porsche Experience Center in Carson, CA, they also have some off road terrain. We got demoed in their Cayenne, and my wife and I came away surprised by the Cayenne’s off-road capability.

User Tag List