Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Left the brand last May when a P car dealer in SA made me a VG offer on my CGTS but may rejoin the flock when the E mac comes online, enjoy the new ride.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Love this car so far.

In addition to fun driving on fun roads, I've done a 600 mile road trip and lots of regular, routine driving in the DC metro area. The car is amazingly fun in sport mode; the exhaust is burbly like an older air-cooled German 4-cyl, the programming keeps the RPMs high/gear low, the car is incredibly response and ready to rumble. Get onto the highway and switch it into normal mode and the car is still fun, but the engine is much more quiet. On the 600 mile road trip, I was able to get 29mpg overall including the couple miles on local roads at each end of the trip.

If you keep it in normal mode, it's easy to drive the car leisurely on the highway without going into boost. Yes, it's a 2.0l 4-cyl that is tuned for performance and not efficiency, but it's still only a 2.0l 4-cyl, so the gas mileage isn't terrible considering what the car is (as long as you stay out of boost). It's perfectly comfortable for regular commuting and long distance drives; spacious interior regardless of the cockpit-like feel, and tons of storage capacity. In the frunk I can fit a medium sized hardsided checked luggage (24"? 28"? I didn't measure) on top of a carry-on hard-sided roller, with a satchel behind stored vertically behind the top luggage between the luggage and wall. In the rear, I can put the same medium sized hard-side luggage in the trunk and the same carry-on on the shelf....or, two stuffed-full backpacks on the shelf. The ride is compliant, so much so that I've had people tell me that it's actually more comfortable to ride in than their Ford Focus or other econo-commuter.

The performance of this car in turns is fucking ridiculous. I've done enough high performance driving schools to not attempt to find the car's limits on public roads, but from what spirited driving I've done I can assert that it's limits are not-approachable on public roads in any reasonable way, even if you have a trust fund just to bail you out when the Virginia Troopers put your ass in jail. Not only are the cornering limits insane, but the feedback and sensitivity to driver inputs is just plain phenomenal. This car really is the mature, street-friendly version of a Lotus Elise.

Reflecting on the purchase:

At first I was second guessing my purchase. Not the 718, but having gotten a base model. I purposely bought a base model with nearly no extras, as there's a chance I may want to keep the car long term and I think the base model with a punchy 300hp motor is a better road car than a car which dramatically exceeds the speed limit as soon as you tap the gas pedal. The Porsche dynamic suspension is incredible in its capabilities, but also excessive to my use; the stock suspension is more than capable in the performance world while keeping the complexity/cost down, and still being perfectly comfortable and high enough that the car doesn't scrape on any speedbumps, driveway ramps, etc. Another example: I didn't realize this until afterwards, but there's actually a fair number of people trying to no-cost swap their 14 or 18 way adjustable power seats for the base manual seats. They're comfortable enough for most people, you don't need power seats in a sports car, and the base manual seats actually seat you lower in the car than the power seats which is an advantage. Hmm....most people would think, "why the fuck would you pay that much for a car with manual seats!?", but these are the things you don't think about.

No remorse about getting a PDK transmission. It's simply incredible, and the way the car behaves while driving it is much more reminiscent of a manual transmission as opposed to a traditional automatic. If this was strictly a weekend car, or I didn't live in a heavy traffic area, then sure I'd get the manual. All I'm sayin' is don't knock it until you try it.

I'm going to stick with the 18" boxster wheels. Their 5-spoke design is growing on me, and besides looks everything about going to a larger wheel is 100% a disadvantage for my use case; dramatically more expensive tires for track days, more prone to breakage/bending for routine use, etc.

The Bad:

Every single middle-aged dude in a lower-tier Charger acts like a jerkoff and wants to race me. Dudes in SRTs, Scat Packs, Hellcats, Shelby GT-whatever, LT1s....no. They're not jackwads. Dudes who wanted a muscle car but could only afford the Charger SXT or GT? Dear god, it's like my mere existence driving normally in traffic is an affront to their manhood. That's it for the bad thus far.

My phone takes shitty pictures, but check out the mirror like finish. It has a no-name ceramic coating from the dealership, and I added the Meguiars liquid wax just to make it pop. Washed and waxed, my 2019 718 Cayman in midnight blue with 18" Boxster wheels:

Attachment 76102

@JRB @JSGlock34 @RJ @noguns

@TGS Just like you, I purchased a CPO 2017 Cayman-S in December. The car hit the local dealer in November, and after watching it for a month, I went to look at it after they lowered the price by $3000. I’m glad I went to the showroom that day and told them to shut up, and take my money.

Like @TGS I went with the PDK, because it’s that sweet of a transmission. After driving my friend’s 911 PDK, I was smitten with the PDK, and finally admitted I’d never out drive it. As a mere mortal in a manual, I am no match for a PDK.

The S had almost all of the features I wanted, minus the Sport Chrono. But she had a good color, the wheels, and other interior features that worked for me. My buddy and I compared his 911 to my Cayman extensively, and we concluded that his base Carrera will beat the S in a straight away, we both felt that the Cayman did better on the windy roads of PA. We are still trying to figure out the answer to that question.

The Porsche Community has been outstanding, and the outpouring of advice and camaraderie has been awesome. I thank Rich for this thread, as it’s been a tremendous help in my own journey. Now for some pics.

Name:  41827F93-7F90-46E8-8CDF-65739DDBF903.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  9502C615-DDAC-4445-ACB7-A1512AABABE0.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  77.2 KB
    Name:  E8DE05B3-4900-403F-BF81-94C2ACD5A56C.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  92.9 KB

@Guinnessman, congrats! That's a beautiful Cayman. I think they look great in white, and those wheels are awesome.

Sometimes I think, "maybe I should splurge for the bigger rims", but then it's my only car and I am reminded once every two weeks why the smaller 18" wheel with fatter tires is good for a daily driver in this area. By now I would have curb-rashed the crap out of those beautiful wheels you have!

What's the interior? I really like the tan interiors, and honestly I'm not a fan of black interiors.....but beggars can't be choosers, and getting one spec'd out exactly how I'd like it would take buying across entire regions, which isn't something I had the time for. So, I bought my example with the black interior and just enjoy it for what it is, and imagine that one day I might have the interior reupholstered. The jury is still out on whether I'll keep this long term, or switch it out for a 6-cyl model when I have the room/need to have a 2nd car and allow this to be a weekend car. I think the 4-cyl has some specific advantages for a daily driver, but the scream of that 6-cyl is just....beautiful.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Guinnessman, congrats! That's a beautiful Cayman. I think they look great in white, and those wheels are awesome.

Sometimes I think, "maybe I should splurge for the bigger rims", but then it's my only car and I am reminded once every two weeks why the smaller 18" wheel with fatter tires is good for a daily driver in this area. By now I would have curb-rashed the crap out of those beautiful wheels you have!

What's the interior? I really like the tan interiors, and honestly I'm not a fan of black interiors.....but beggars can't be choosers, and getting one spec'd out exactly how I'd like it would take buying across entire regions, which isn't something I had the time for. So, I bought my example with the black interior and just enjoy it for what it is, and imagine that one day I might have the interior reupholstered. The jury is still out on whether I'll keep this long term, or switch it out for a 6-cyl model when I have the room/need to have a 2nd car and allow this to be a weekend car. I think the 4-cyl has some specific advantages for a daily driver, but the scream of that 6-cyl is just....beautiful.
    @TGS Thank you for the kind words! I have the Black Interior, which is what I preferred. I have grown fond of black interiors after having kids. The tan interior that Porsche offers is beautiful, but they seem hard to find.

There is nothing like the sound of a flat 6, but the 4 Cylinder will have to do for now. The prices on 2014-2016 Caymans seems to be holding steady, but I have seen some good deals on say 2016 911’s. I lucked out with this car being at my local dealer, and was ready to start traveling to find what I wanted. Here are some interior pics:

Name:  82641979-1A3F-4CA6-91D1-EBC9B8455D2B.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  34.9 KB
    Name:  BDDF96FE-63F2-4E0D-BD10-E297CF76D0BD.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  42.0 KB

Plus a Porsche Headlight shot………just like a well worn 1911

Name:  ED6DDFB7-F88A-41E1-8030-FA60BBD4647C.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  42.0 KB

Just saying

Name:  32D6096B-13A5-4364-80BE-A138FBA2AB2B.jpeg
Views: 502
Size:  78.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I got to drive a 918 GT4 today, and was blown away. This coming from a person who regularly drives a 992 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I got to drive a 918 GT4 today, and was blown away. This coming from a person who regularly drives a 992 4S.
    GTs are fun.

One of our previous GT3s

I would love a GT4RS (same engine). There’s something haunting about the wailing flat six at 9k rpms.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-23-2022 at 11:48 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I didn't realize you had a 4S: IMO that explains a lot about the difference you felt.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    GTs are fun.

One of our previous GT3s
    Nice run!

Hold onto your hats:

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

We just concluded a deal on a new car order for a BMW 540i, with Performance Center Delivery. We will get a new car and a good bit of money out of the deal, plus save thousands in taxes. Whoever gets this car will have a well-maintained vehicle with sheaves of paperwork, dealer service history and virtually nothing to do except drive and enjoy it.

It's been fun.
    Right, so I guess I could add a post-script to this post.

We picked up the new Bimmer 4/1, at the PCD in South Carolina. This is my sixth BMW, and second PCD experience, after my 2011 E90/6MT. We stayed at the Marriott Greenville, the night before, and enjoyed a very nice steak dinner, all compliments of BMW. Pickup day included an hour tour of the BMW Factory (all X production is made here), demonstrations rides in a new M4 (fun!), a lap of the "X" rough road course out back to demonstrate the AWD SUV's impressive off-road capability and (the highlight for me) three segments of driving control/experiences. Since I was picking up a 5 series, they gave me a M550i for the 90 minutes of seat time.

The car control segments included a stopping distance exercise, at faster and faster speeds, to demonstrate the capabilities of modern ABS and sticky tires (amazingly short stop, these cars). Second was a few circuits of the handling circle, wet, with DSC on and off to showcase the car's ability to control power oversteer (very impressive; I spun out immediately with throttle on opposite lock with DSC off. With DSC back on, I lasted maybe 1/3 of the circle with the throttle mashed to the floor). Lastly were hot laps on the short handling circuit with a mix of turns. I kept catching up to the SUVs (of course haha) but it was fun to get on the throttle of the big V8 5 series. Transitions in the slaloms, not so much. I felt the car was really heavy in the front end and pushed quite a bit in the corners with handfuls of steering being needed. Obviously not a 911 (ahem) but it was quick, no doubt.

They did a fantastic job of prepping our car, we received a complete in-brief with all features demonstrated, phones linked, etc. etc. from our BMW Genius guy.

I would heartily recommend anyone that can to do a BMW Performance Center Delivery. The only down side was the wait for the car to ship from Germany after our order mid-December, it was about 14 weeks, all in. We had no impact from the various stop-sale issues due to lack of electronic gizmos that are happening these days. You do have to get yourself to Greenville SC, and drive home; you still pay the normal Destination Charge, but otherwise, it costs nothing extra.

We've had the car about a month now, not too many miles but it is very pleasant to drive. The 3.0 twin turbo in mine is a good match for the chassis, and feels much, much lighter than the 550. It's odd, it drives like a smaller car; turn in is so so but I'd chalk that up to the Goodyear Eagle run-flats that are standard. I will not miss them when I burn through them to put some performance rubber on. I am personally very glad the G30 5 series does not have the new corporate Bucky Beaver grille. Phew.

There are not as many options available as on the P-cars, but one in particular we ordered was the Driving Assistant Professional. This is an all-singing, all-dancing active cruise control, with lane keeping, auto stop, traffic jam functions, auto lane change, etc. etc. It is very weird after 40 years of driving to turn things over to the car at freeway speeds, but it works amazingly well.

So well in fact, it saved our bacon on the way to Orlando yesterday: I was steaming along at 70+ (cough) and traffic stopped suddenly near the Ellenton Outlets. I wasn't minding the distance and the car sensed a stop as soon as I did, while we approached. This all happened in about 100 milliseconds: I got a red, then a red and white, then a red and white and a VERY LOUD BEEP and ABS activation of the brakes as my foot was mashing the brake pedal. Bottom line we stopped in plenty of space but it was a near-underwear changing moment for us.

It's sobering to realize that cars these days react quicker than I do, but frankly I am ok with that at this stage of my life.

I still miss the 911, a little; but it's kinda like you miss that date with the hawt chick you had in College: Very enjoyable for a while, but you start to slowly realize you couldn't afford the maintenance. But seriously, we are glad we traded in the 991.2: getting a brand new car, three year warranty and bag of money is a major plus.

As to the car...I was wondering: does BMW still have that certain "something" in their DNA, something that they do, where they take a 4D sedan and make it fun and engaging to drive?

I was pleasantly surprised to find out: yes, yes they do.

Name:  IMG_1975u2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  66.2 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 05-01-2022 at 12:35 PM.

User Tag List