Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    My MPG is down below 20, on a tank. Which is ok as I'm getting on it a bit more (after the oil warms up) and there are a couple fun ramps on the way to and from work. [...] Still enjoying the hell out of the car, every day.

With my motorbike, I keep the throttle and revs low until I've ridden 10 km (6 miles). A car mechanic in my shooting club told me that's very important. He said: "People don't know, what they are doing to their engine, when they don't warm it up."

It works: Oil consumption of my motorbike is near zero. My car went 150,000 miles. Now, it only needs 0,4 gal of oil per 10,000 miles, power still like new (measured by top speed).
    Last edited by P30; 02-16-2020 at 09:50 AM.

If you even have to ask how much maintenance cost are, then you cannot afford one. Or you could just put the money into a Boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    If you even have to ask how much maintenance cost are, then you cannot afford one. Or you could just put the money into a Boat.
    If you have to ask how much anything costs, a boat is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Do they still do that?
    Back in the 2000’s, I kept receipts and UPC codes and sent them in... seems like either Mobile 1 themselves or some other source informed me that the rebate program was discontinued.

Edited to add:

This is all I could find at the Mobil 1 site:
    https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...a-prepaid-card

Only for individual 1 qt bottles purchased only at NAPA stores.

Bummer, as I’m a big Mobil 1 user, and would appreciate some rebate love.

Just last year I bought 20 quarts of mobil 1 0w40 full synthetic for $91 at Walmart. Emailed mobil my receipt and they emailed me my $48 rebate check a month later.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Misc. Log Update

2/23/20 25,431 miles

Jackstand Purchase

The JackPoint Jackstands arrived.

Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  56.9 KB

I plan to use these for a future brake service, etc.

I will likely buy a beefier jack, as the 1.5T unit I had for the Cayman is a bit under sized for the more heavy 991.2. The benefit of these stands is you can use a standard jack to lift using the factory jackpoints. You then slide the stand in and under the jack saddle, then lower the jack. The car is then supported on a very stable platform. There are not a lot of other alternative jacking points on a 911; for example the sump is polymer (no bueno), the suspension arms while beefy aren't really designed for 3,000 lb static load from that direction.

Plus these are designed by people familiar with German cars, so for example they are low profile, as well as having a rubber insert with aluminum nub which intersect into the factory jackpoint slot under the sill on each side (2 per side).

Around $360 shipped per pair.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

Oil Analysis

The oil analysis came back from Blackstone Laboratories.

If you aren’t familiar with Blackstone, this company based out of Fort Wayne Indiana offers commercial and private oil analysis.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

You package up a sample in the bottle they send you (they pay shipping) including some basic information about your sample, and for $28 they will email you the analysis and their thoughts on your oil. I’ve used them previously very regularly on my BMWs and always find it interesting.Here was my report:

17 911-redact.pdf

I was a little nervous about my 911, being purchased as a used car, but based on Blackstone’s analysis, looks like I am in good shape.

Playing Video

I had seen in the user manual where the system can play *.mp4 files. I loaded up one of my favorite movies onto the USB port in the glovebox, and, sure enough, after a few moments while PCM indexed the files on the thumb drive, the movie started and played fine.

Name:  IMG_6747.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  42.6 KB

Of course this was in the garage, when I moved off, the picture disabled, but the audio still was coming through the stereo. Which I guess is US law; I’ve seen I think where in other countries they do not restrict video when moving.

To be honest this was just kind of a bit of fun. I don't really plan to use this feature in any meaningful way, but I thought it was cool. Anyway, now at least I have something to do waiting in the car when The Boss goes to a towel sale at Target.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-23-2020 at 07:17 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Tell the Boss she can probably get better towels for cheaper at Marshall's any day of the week.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Those jack stands are dynamite.

If all USA made US Jack brand stands are 200 ish, those seem to be a real value given that they are optimized for your car.

Buy quality, cry once. Besides, they just ooze coolness in their appearance as well.

Drove up North to attend the 2020 Porsche Werks Reunion at Amelia Island FL today. We had a bit of rain the evening before so it was slightly nippy out. Lots of 911s in the parking area though.

Name:  E02E2456-4B70-40DB-AD60-472EEE82D737.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  65.4 KB

Loved the color on this GT3 Touring:

Name:  CF30424E-D495-4542-B515-3C7BC542206C.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  79.9 KB

Lots of cool cars, old and new:

Name:  0AD3B52B-0C22-40CE-A186-0E367DF97417.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  3740158C-1877-4148-8BA4-1D13D9133F58.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  72.2 KB

Fun fun day.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks, It's in my shopping cart.

I think I sorted out the creaking noise in the sunroof. Used my Gummi Pflege on the seals and a few rubs of genuine Silicone Spray I used to use for the RV on the runners. Seems much quieter now, there is only the noise of the motor when it opens and closes. No idea what the PO did on the sunroof to be honest but I've been using GF on the seals of my German cars for years; love the stuff.

Good stuff, I remember when it was called 1einset

FYI they make a wheel cleaner like the IronX but it truly smells like a skunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I know, First World problems, but I did say I'd keep a log of issues with the car:

Both passenger side heated and cooled seat buttons apparently were virtually unusable. The would make contact, but take up to 60s to "return". Sometimes they would not make contact at all. I was informed of this during a recent extended driving trip by Mrs. Rich.

I bought a can of CRC Electronic Cleaner from Amazon, here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took the can and affixed the spray tip, and squirted a shot into and between the buttons, then attempted to exercise them. I wiped the residue with a MF towel. There was absolutely no issue or problem or marks from using the CRC spray (we use this stuff at work - no issues.) After about 10 minutes, the right-most button started to "work", then I continued to exercise it up and down. Then about 5 minutes later, the left hand button was working. I started the car and confirmed normal operation of both heat and cool for the passenger seat.

Name:  spray.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  35.5 KB

For good measure I squirted a small amount on the HOME button, which on my car was also sticky. The stickiness cleared and the button is now like the others.

For sure I've never so much as carried a soft drink in the cup holders (the cup holders on a 991.2 are a fiendishly complex design that literally fold out of the dashboard behind a hinged cover), but I have no idea if the previous owner had an accident in that area. Or if these buttons just get sticky with age and disuse.

But I am pretty pleased this worked, and I avoided a dealer visit, and it only cost me $5.

User Tag List