Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

When did the switch to electric steering happen on the Boxster/Cayman?

And is that a reason to find that last production year of hydraulic steering or have they figured out the electrics by now?

I mourned the last real 911, the 993, when the water pumpers came out. No doubt they had to for power reasons and the new cars are nice I am sure. I mentioned in the past that I tried real hard to buy an 04 GT3 in 2010 but just couldn't afford it. Hence the Z06... even though I am a Ford guy... mama mia it was a strange time! Not sure why I didn't go Cayman S. Hell, I even looked at the Exige S.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 04-22-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Wouldn’t you rather have a Boat?
    Airplane

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    No worries.

I was wondering whether a (turbo?) boxer 4 was much different from a flat (NA?) six in terms of “Porsche-ness”.

I’ll probably have a look at the torque curves.

After a few YouTube videos yesterday, I got SWMBO to give me permission to go test drive a new one. Obviously it will be PDK (there are no new 6MT to be had, as far as I can tell, locally) but still.

Plus she picked a color, which is also a good sign.
    Big difference in Sound Quality. And that's where I worked my last seven years at Ford, for whatever that's worth.

I'd opt for the naturally aspirated car though it would not be the faster of the two on a road course - though I don't get paid for fast laps. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    When did the switch to electric steering happen on the Boxster/Cayman?

And is that a reason to find that last production year of hydraulic steering or have they figured out the electrics by now?

I mourned the last real 911, the 993, when the water pumpers came out. No doubt they had to for power reasons and the new cars are nice I am sure. I mentioned in the past that I tried real hard to buy an 04 GT3 in 2010 but just couldn't afford it. Hence the Z06... even though I am a Ford guy... mama mia it was a strange time! Not sure why I didn't go Cayman S. Hell, I even looked at the Exige S.
    The 991 (current car) ditched the hydraulic assisted power steering. Yeah, it does not rob horsepower but it cannot communicate to you in the same manner... [emoji37][emoji31][emoji30][emoji36]

Hammertime
    I’m just going to leave this here.

I love all cars and engines, but nothing sounds as good IMO. Listen with headphones. It raises the hair on my arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I love all cars and engines, but nothing sounds as good IMO. Listen with headphones. It raises the hair on my arms.
    That is a matter of opinion on which I will have to disagree with you. The Corvette V8 undeniably sounds good, but it's got nothing on the high-rpm scream of a Porsche flat 6 or the music a Ferrari flat-plane crank V8 makes, to say nothing of V10 and V12 engines.

Nothing will ever compete, to my mind, with the ear drum popping sound of a big-block Cobra at full tilt on a race course. I've heard a lot of vintage and modern race cars. And the snarl, spitting, growling sound of a solid lifter 427 through side-pipes is awe-inspiring. It basically sounds like what I imagine the anguished cries of a God who has lost his only son sounds like.

To my mind a V12 Ferrari screaming at full tilt is like the sound of a Cheetah compared to a Tiger.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

You guys are not exactly doing your job.

Last edited by RJ; 04-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.

We're not the bosses of you!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I know! All reading this did was make me go buy a sports car!

User Tag List