Page 41 of 78 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Thx for the log update & props again to Reeves for the loaner, even if it was a base Mac. b/c as you said your's wasn't from there.

I miss the pano. roof on my Mac. S & we'll have to agree to disagree re. debadging. Had the S built badgeless w/
    P done in flat black & have too much now IMO w/ 718 Cayman CGTS below the P but @ least it's all in flat black plus we're both in GT silver.

In a perfect world we cross paths & swap cars on some twisties etc. for comparison, your rear engine 370HP @ 3200 lbs. vs. my mid w/ 365HP & 3098 lbs., would be interesting.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 06-22-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Hammertime
    I didn’t realize your new ride had a twin turbo!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Cayman S Behind Front Seat:

911 Behind Front Seats:

Big plus interior room. Rear seats fold down to make a ‘shelf’ apparently, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congrats on the new ride, Rich!

On a completely different aside, I was at a crash last week in which it took quite a while for the FD to cut a guy out of a single-cab Ford pickup. I resolved to not have a vehicle with no rear seat room for that reason alone. Besides, as you said, Miss Sunnydays needs room to ride.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-22-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Thx for the log update & props again to Reeves for the loaner, even if it was a base Mac. b/c as you said your's wasn't from there.

I miss the pano. roof on my Mac. S & we'll have to agree to disagree re. debadging. Had the S built badgeless w/
    P done in flat black & have too much now IMO w/ 718 Cayman CGTS below the P but @ least it's all in flat black plus we're both in GT silver.

In a perfect world we cross paths & swap cars on some twisties etc. for comparison, your rear engine 370HP @ 3200 lbs. vs. my mid w/ 365HP & 3098 lbs., would be interesting.
    Ah. No worries.

I was coming from the point of view of someone ordering a base Carrera, then powder coating the calipers red (S standard), specifying sport quad exhaust (S standard) and then removing the badging. If so, I think it’s a personal taste decision, but not something I would do.

Still, you don’t get to specify every option when buying used. In the main, the car is probably 98% the way I would have ordered one. But since factory production is now halted to switch over to the 992, and the configurator isn’t available yet for the base 992 911, I opted to search for a used CPO one. And I spent a hella less money than new and got a four year unlimited mileage factory warranty buying CPO.

Heh, on the track I suspect my base 911 butt would be smoked by any P car with ‘GTS’ in the name. That 718 with the added grunt of the T motor must be a hoot to drive. For lap times that PDK they offer is an amazing gearbox.

To help me get a bit more education on driving this beast, my local PCA chapter has a Drivers Education / Autocross session coming up in September in Brooksville FL I may audit. I am also musing registering for one of the Porsche Experiences in Atlanta at the PEC in the fall. Maybe ‘Mastering the Manual’.

Ah. No worries.

I was coming from the point of view of someone ordering a base Carrera, then powder coating the calipers red (S standard), specifying sport quad exhaust (S standard) and then removing the badging. If so, I think it’s a personal taste decision, but not something I would do.

Still, you don’t get to specify every option when buying used. In the main, the car is probably 98% the way I would have ordered one. But since factory production is now halted to switch over to the 992, and the configurator isn’t available yet for the base 992 911, I opted to search for a used CPO one. And I spent a hella less money than new and got a four year unlimited mileage factory warranty buying CPO.

Heh, on the track I suspect my base 911 butt would be smoked by any P car with ‘GTS’ in the name. That 718 with the added grunt of the T motor must be a hoot to drive. For lap times that PDK they offer is an amazing gearbox.

To help me get a bit more education on driving this beast, my local PCA chapter has a Drivers Education / Autocross session coming up in September in Brooksville FL I may audit. I am also musing registering for one of the Porsche Experiences in Atlanta at the PEC in the fall. Maybe ‘Mastering the Manual’.
    Back later, got a USPSA match to shoot/SO but that painted caliper douchtardery plus buying CPO vs. new, well we're on the same page mi amigo.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 06-23-2019 at 06:34 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just to share in the new-car-stuff with a slight threadjack. Finally got the minus-one upgrade wheels and tires squared away on my Hyundai. Went from 19s to 18s, 20mm wider rubber, 1 in wider front wheel and 1.5 in wider rear wheel, and dropped 45 lb of weight in total. Transformational. And Brembo painted the calipers red the first time.

Now, to contribute a little. I used to do things like drive Boxsters and 911s back to back on the track, in another life. The big difference for me was in how they moved their weight around. When you get them balancing with all four tires near the limit with higher slip angles, you can feel how they rotate. Having the c.g. closer to the driver gives it a different feel as it moves on its tires. I happen to like the mid-engine feel.

But so much of the rest of it depends on engineering execution and setup of the individual car that it's questionable to make broad generalizations about handling just based on where the engine is. I've driven an Audi S4 (turbo V-6 era) that steered like a BMW. I've seen a pro race engineer make 911s faster by raising the ride height, due to details of the geometry changes. It's certainly the case that any modern (993 or newer) 911 with a decent setup (factory original or better) will handle very smoothly and predictably, and someone who is generally competent and takes a little time to explore the car's handling before going too fast into the first turn can have a good time.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-29-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Misc. Log Update

14 July 2019 21,136 Miles

Well about a month in and I am still loving the car.

No unscheduled services. I am just driving it back and forth to work, and on the weekends.

MPG is ok; I averaged 31.7 actual on the trip down, but since then including daily use of the "sport" setting (which, really, is quite a lot of fun) I am getting 23.5. Not bad I suppose. The biggest enjoyable surprise has to be the rev-matching in Sport. It really works astonishingly well; so much so that I pretty much drive all the time in sport mode. Daily life with the car is manageable; I do miss the rear hatch of the Cayman for tossing the groceries in; the frunk works and of course I have an actual back seat if it is only suitable for those of Hobbit size.

Oil consumption has been nil. I check after each fill up. I did get a couple quarts of Mobil 1 to Porsche standard just in case but haven't cracked either one open.

I'm keeping an eye on the Pirelli Pzeros; which, based on the DOT month of manufacture might or might not be original to the car. The rears are down to 5.0 mm at the shallowest point, the fronts are about 8.0 mm. I decided to just leave the red calipers; people mod their Porsches all the time; I would not do it myself but it's per the car, so I'm not going to worry about it. I think replacing the rear lettering made a huge difference in the look of the car; it does have a big expanse of butt and with it being naked was not that attractive. Much much happier now.

I've been working on re-learning my fairly rudimentary car detailing skills. I have some new products that are working out.

The Chemical Guys line in particular has some decent stuff. Their wheel treatment especially, it gives very nice low gloss sheen that I prefer on the tires. Not sure about the Butter Wet Wax; I might need to do some more coats of the my cleaner wax, but the finish beads well. The Flitz is an old favorite; I like it for the exhaust tips which thankfully are black on this car; the chrome tips on the Cayman looked unsightly very quickly from the carbon.

The wheel barrel brush was a good addition; the wheels are much wider than I'm used to and getting the schmutz out from the wheel interior is quite a pita with out. This week I am trying product called "Rejex" to see if I can get the ubiquitous German Brake Dust not to stick; the wheels typically take me the most time in my weekly wash to get clean.

Still pretty happy with the car.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-14-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Misc. Log Update

14 July 2019 21,136 Miles

Well about a month in and I am still loving the car.

No unscheduled services. I am just driving it back and forth to work, and on the weekends.

MPG is ok; I averaged 31.7 actual on the trip down, but since then including daily use of the "sport" setting (which, really, is quite a lot of fun) I am getting 23.5. Not bad I suppose. The biggest enjoyable surprise has to be the rev-matching in Sport. It really works astonishingly well; so much so that I pretty much drive all the time in sport mode. Daily life with the car is manageable; I do miss the rear hatch of the Cayman for tossing the groceries in; the frunk works and of course I have an actual back seat if it is only suitable for those of Hobbit size.

Oil consumption has been nil. I check after each fill up. I did get a couple quarts of Mobil 1 to Porsche standard just in case but haven't cracked either one open.

I'm keeping an eye on the Pirelli Pzeros; which, based on the DOT month of manufacture might or might not be original to the car. The rears are down to 5.0 mm at the shallowest point, the fronts are about 8.0 mm. I decided to just leave the red calipers; people mod their Porsches all the time; I would not do it myself but it's per the car, so I'm not going to worry about it. I think replacing the rear lettering made a huge difference in the look of the car; it does have a big expanse of butt and with it being naked was not that attractive. Much much happier now.

I've been working on re-learning my fairly rudimentary car detailing skills. I have some new products that are working out.

The Chemical Guys line in particular has some decent stuff. Their wheel treatment especially, it gives very nice low gloss sheen that I prefer on the tires. Not sure about the Butter Wet Wax; I might need to do some more coats of the my cleaner wax, but the finish beads well. The Flitz is an old favorite; I like it for the exhaust tips which thankfully are black on this car; the chrome tips on the Cayman looked unsightly very quickly from the carbon.

The wheel barrel brush was a good addition; the wheels are much wider than I'm used to and getting the schmutz out from the wheel interior is quite a pita with out. This week I am trying product called "Rejex" to see if I can get the ubiquitous German Brake Dust not to stick; the wheels typically take me the most time in my weekly wash to get clean.

Still pretty happy with the car.
    Maybe I missed it in a prior post but did The Boss get a Macan? Asking as I spy the front end of a Mac or Cayenne in the garage so .......

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Maybe I missed it in a prior post but did The Boss get a Macan? Asking as I spy the front end of a Mac or Cayenne in the garage so .......
    Yep.

We traded our RX350 in on a 2019 Cayenne.

Yep.

We traded our RX350 in on a 2019 Cayenne.

Congrats on a double P car stable mi amigo, feel like sharing any details/pics of The Boss’s new ride?

User Tag List