Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Speaking of Bring a Trailer

Missed a perfectly good 911 Dakar substitute:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mx-5-miata-87/

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Missed a perfectly good 911 Dakar substitute:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mx-5-miata-87/

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

They seem to like it

Had an epic Porsche day today. Aviated over to the Long Beach Airport, adjacent to the Porsche Experience Center. Lots of snow in Southern California higher terrain, and appropriately we were routed over the DSNEE5 arrival. SoCal always amazes me how going just a few miles by car can take so long.

Walking into the PEC, the first thing that caught our attention was the new Dakar.

Name:  A3EC51EE-FFA1-42C1-8E6B-5375A0822B6B.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  74.5 KB

How cool would it be to show up at a uspsa match with your cart strapped to the roof rack. Maybe you would have to ditch the recovery boards.

Name:  3DABE464-8C39-488E-B14B-0E7D00687068.jpg
Size:  47.4 KB

Moving further in the building, was this, a 918 Spyder.

Name:  7F1FDA41-F907-4789-A54E-0823782ADCCC.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  55.4 KB

They cost a cool $998k when they debuted in 2015, and only, you guessed it, 918 units were made. If you did buy one of the first ones, you were guaranteed right of first refusal on any Porsche specialty car released.

My wife and I split 90 minutes on the track in a Taycan Turbo. On the drift pad, there was a 911 ahead of us, and we had to keep slowing down for it, as the combination of the technology, smooth power application and low center of gravity made the Taycan brilliant there. After the skid plate pad, it was laps, following our instructor in another Taycan Turbo. Acceleration was incredible, although the weight of the Taycan made braking a longer proposition than on lighter machines. Going from normal, to Sport and then Sport Plus completely changed the character of the car.

While my wife drove, I cruised the parking area, and spied two GT4 RS machines waiting for their PEC delivery experience.

Name:  39BB23C6-2EF6-4314-B903-CFB1F40C8375.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  AFABA0BD-7073-402A-B678-239FFB35E19D.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB

We ran out of time and couldn't get into the simulators, which was a disappointment. Departing out of KLGB, we got vectored over the Pacific, nearly over Catalina Island. All looked good from the air. Near Palm Springs, heard a jet with a call sign, Crypto ___. Didn't they get the message crypto ain't cool any more.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend visiting the Porsche Experience Center, in Georgia or California.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you get a chance, I highly recommend visiting the Porsche Experience Center, in Georgia or California.
    Great timing on this post. I just started looking into visiting the one in Georgia. The web site isn’t very clear, but it seems like an A La Cart menu. I’m more accustomed to structured programs like Ron Fellows.

How many days would you allow to get the most out of it? I’m thinking at least 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Great timing on this post. I just started looking into visiting the one in Georgia. The web site isn’t very clear, but it seems like an A La Cart menu. I’m more accustomed to structured programs like Ron Fellows.

How many days would you allow to get the most out of it? I’m thinking at least 2?
    I have done most of a day, but never had enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We ran out of time and couldn't get into the simulators, which was a disappointment. Departing out of KLGB, we got vectored over the Pacific, nearly over Catalina Island. All looked good from the air. Near Palm Springs, heard a jet with a call sign, Crypto ___. Didn't they get the message crypto ain't cool any more.
    I have heard it too and wondered who would use that call sign. The only thing I could find was on Reddit -

"NXT Jet, Inc DBA Wing Aviation Group, LLC.

It's actually Krypto. No, I don't work for them."

Also with this reply -

"Not sure but they’re definitely gonna crash soon. Edit: for real it’s a bubble"

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/co...pto_call_sign/

The Porsche Experience Center in ATL is on short final for 26R. They just added an expansion to the track that I have seen from the road but I go south mostly now so have not seen it from the air. I really hope to be able to justify buying a Cayman GTS (one of the last naturally aspirated engine/manual transmission cars around) next year and taking delivery there...
    Last edited by DC_P; 01-19-2023 at 08:58 AM.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I like the Porsche's. Considered them. Always felt that if I did wander over to the euro lane a Porsche would be it. But my Muscle Car roots just wouldn't let me do it. Considered the C8...but it just seems a bit underpowered and quickly starting to see them virtually everywhere. So I went with a Ford! It did have some interesting company while it waited for me to pick it up, thus the relevance to this thread.

Name:  20221217_165207.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  50.0 KB

For those that might think that the Ford has no business in that lineup, you might find this link a bit interesting :

https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/20...-battle-video/

User Tag List