Page 40 of 78 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Props on getting the multi-function steering wheel & sport chrono, you WILL enjoy those options.

Are those seats also heated/cooled? Asking as I see the perfs. that would allow the cooling function which I had on another P car & used often here in Tejas.
    Yes, the seats are heated/cooled. Which, was another reason to buy this car.

And yes on Sport Chrono. Those that know, know.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Well what the hell. I'll keep this going.

Misc. Log Update
    9 June 2019 54,442 Miles - Cayman S out of service. Ad placed on PCA.org. I hope it will go to a good home.

Misc. Log Update
    9 June 2019 20,140 Miles - 2017 911 991.2 in service. Purchased from Porsche of South Shore, Long Island NY.

We are home after the drive back from NYC.

Trip down was rainy and unpleasant. Car had no issues aside from a engine check light that I need to resolve. This appeared out of the blue on the NJ turnpike in 7th under light acceleration. It has persisted through stop/starts. I contacted the dealer and left a message that I will leave the car at my local dealer Monday. Research online now that we are home points to a faulty oxygen sensor. It will be addressed under the new car warranty, I am sure.

On the Long Island Beltway approaching the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, from Brooklyn to Staten Island:

On I95 near Springfield Interchange in Northern Virginia, South of Washington DC (I went to High School less than two miles from this photo, '74-'77)

The car is quite economical at speed, returning an average of 31.7 mpg, overall, with travelling at cough cough interstate speed. Acceleration is, ah, brisk. Braking is phenomenal. The 7th gear allows for relaxed cruising and retains enough punch to adequately pass slow-moving semis on I95.

The Pirelli's the dealer put on the car for the CPO certification SUCK OUT LOUD. They have a slight shimmy from 60-65 mph, are noisy, and grip is a bit sketchy, especially in the rain. I measured approx 9mm on the fronts and 5 and 6 mm on the rear. Will have to start working on The Boss for a set of Pilot Sport 4S as soon as the rears get to a suitable replacement tread depth.

We took two days to go the 1,142 miles from LI to TPA, split into a 500+ miles day and a 600+ mile day. Sightlines are excellent; it has extremely good visibility all around for a low-slung coupe. In Sport mode, the auto-rev matching is quite a treat lol; I am not sure I will turn it on or not but it is pretty cool to have the car rev-match perfectly (and I mean, perfectly) on downshifts. The Auto-Start-Stop function is something I will ask to have coded off as soon as I can. It drives me nuts to have the engine completely halt at a stop light. Very unnerving.

The car is filthy from the trip, but I did snap a couple pictures in the garage. The GT Silver is slightly darker, with the Rhodium Silver having a Blue-ish tint that I'd not noticed before. I spent some time this afternoon configuring both keys, after resetting the PCM to factory via the "handover" function (which nukes every personalized setting as well as all previous data.)

I emptied the Cayman S of all my usual bits and pieces I carry on board and am transferring them, as well as the ROAV dash cam, over to the 911.

So aside from the engine fault, we are beyond pleased with the car. The room, and technology, of the '17 as well as the overall presence of the car is much more suited to what we are/were looking for from a longer distance cruiser. It's like a grown up car.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-09-2019 at 04:20 PM.

I really enjoy your write ups and would greatly appreciate if you kept this thread going. Also, congrats on the new car! I think it’s a nice step up.

Good to see you've chosen to let this thread continue as I'm sure others will be stopping by later to concur on this choice.

It *appears* you may have also gotten PDLS which I miss in my CGTS, did you get nav. or more likely Connect Plus which yields CarPlay?

That new avatar says you did so ......
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 06-09-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post

That new avatar says you did so ......
    Well spotted.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for continuing the thread, Rich.
    I’m still a Bimmer guy (Z4 M Coupe), but enjoy looking at the Caymans and 911s.

Keep it up and let us experience it vicariously through you.

Misc Log Update

Just a note that the Check Engine Light was resolved by...waiting.

This morning on startup it didn’t recur. We went to have a talk with our local SA anyway. He theorized the gas cap might not have been on securely when fueled at the dealer last Thursday? Apparently the way the ECU works it requires three ‘full driving cycles’ to clear. Meaning cooling all the way down. Which would be three days I e this morning.

Phew.

Getting the TTL taken care of today at the Tax Collector.

I also took some pressure out of the tires, to 34F/38R (was 36F/45R) and then set the TPMS to 20” Summer / Comfort setting. Ride is more compliant now. Which limits me to 165 mph; but I think I can live with that ahem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misc Log Update

21 June 2019 20,417 miles

Well just to log in a few updates / changes on the 911.

Item A

Unscheduled Service at my local dealer, Reeves Tampa. So it emerged that the engine fault returned, necessitating a return trip to the dealer. Dx showed a faulty "AS Tank Ventilation" valve. This was replaced under warranty Friday. Afterwards I have no codes, and the car drives well. I was given a Macan to drive for the day; which I thought was a class act, since I had not bought this car there, and their normal policy was no loaners unless you bought it there. I spent the drive in the four-cylinder Macan trying to work out why the handbrake was stuck on.

Item B

Tint at a local shop. Being a NY car, I was not surprised that it only had the factory tint. They did tell me it had some kind of tint on the rear window and side rears. They put a ceramic XPel Prime XR Plus film at 35% shade on the side windows and put a 70% version on the sunroof. (the car has a glass sunroof, which has only an interior fabric roller sun-blind cover.) Should help a lot with the constant sun we get here in FL. I also like the darker shade on the windows as a theft deterrent.

https://www.xpel.com/shop/window-fil...ve-window-tint

Item C

Also at Reeves: I had the rear emblems replaced. When we saw the car it had had all the rear emblems removed. I am not, really, a "debadge look" kind of guy, so I had them replace the P O R S C H E and "911" and "Carerra" emblems. Not cheap, but these are factory parts and they use a template to ensure it is an accurate replacement. (Me thinks the Previous Owner wanted people to "think" it was a 911S, since he had the calipers powder coated Red (S Calipers come factory red) and removed all the badging. Who knows. The base Carerra with 370HP is plenty fast. Plenty. I think it looks a million times better with the emblems anyway.)

Item D

This is pretty OCD but I aligned all the coloured Porsche crests in the wheel centers to point to the valve stems. I'm reliably informed you will be drummed out of the Corps otherwise. Snapped a quick garage picture after the regular Saturday morning wash.

I am totally satisfied with the purchase of the 911. Hell I should have bought one of these 25 years ago. There is nothing, really, I've ever owned or driven which measures up to this car. It is not that fancy to look at, honestly, but the design and implementation of the car is quite something to be experienced. I love it.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-22-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am totally satisfied with the purchase of the 911. Hell I should have bought one of these 25 years ago. There is nothing, really, I've ever owned or driven which measures up to this car. It is not that fancy to look at, honestly, but the design and implementation of the car is quite something to be experienced. I love it.
    That is really good to hear Rich. They obviously have an incredible reputation amongst automotive journalists, racers and enthusiasts. I remember Paul Frere always had a 911 as a daily driver.

Still: do you notice the weight over the rear coming from front and mid engine cars? I only had one short drive in a 12 yo 911, and I honestly was super bugged with how light and resolutely understeering the front was under acceleration. This vehicle needed shocks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

Still: do you notice the weight over the rear coming from front and mid engine cars? I only had one short drive in a 12 yo 911, and I honestly was super bugged with how light and resolutely understeering the front was under acceleration. This vehicle needed shocks though.
    I am not remotely qualified to answer this question. My driving experience consists of 40 years of avoiding being in an accident. My wife says I drive like a grand ma when she is in the car.

When no one is in the car but me cough I occasionally safely explore the limits, notwithstanding that my talent runs out way before the car does. Nothing stupid of course, and within the legal speed limit.

Having said that:

Absolutely. Driving the Cayman S (NA 3.8 flat six, 325 HP 2,900 lbs ish) vs. the 991.2 911 (Turbo 3.0 flat six, 370 HP 3,200 lbs ish IIRC) back to back on hand over day last week (we traded the Cayman S as part of a deal for a new car for my wife) was quite interesting.

The Cayman S feels ‘immediate’, reflecting the mid engine layout. The NA engine felt great but you do need to keep it on the boil to make progress, which of course is a lot of fun. As a pure track car? Probably would prefer the Cayman, by a slight margin. Front and rear slip angles are probably closer to neutral, on the limit than the 911, but I’m not sure. Since mine was an S there was more power to steer on the throttle than a base Cayman. My guess is a base Cayman would not be really satisfying to drive. To me anyway.

On the other hand the 911 rear engine and twin turbo 3.0 just digs out of corners. Turn in is crisp; maybe not pin sharp like the Cayman, but it is a very very competent and well sorted sports car.

Plus you get all the other 911 features; more room, better sight lines for everyday driving; plus more bells and whistles of course.

If all I did was scream around a track, probably the Cayman, even though the track time would be higher than the 911, it would probably not feel like it.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by RJ; 06-22-2019 at 06:41 PM.

User Tag List