Page 37 of 78 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Service cost is running you ~42 cents/mile in year one. But I concur that the tires and brakes are not annual service items, my last set of Michelin summer tires lasted 35k of...uhh...right foot generous miles and that was in a 3300 pound station wagon. The all season Michelin Defenders we put on the 2200 pound hatchback last four winters and 40k miles and really went down due to rot from the shitty salt.

Brake pads vary, based on your braking habits, but the Porterfield R4S pads I use on my cars are usually good for about 20-25k miles.

So, you could probably average your tire and brake budget across 2-3 years in your projections.

Hammertime
    Love this car and have decided on a Cayman for the next sporty vehicle. Won’t be soon.

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Battery Replacement
    27 April 2019 53,732 miles $219.99

Swapped out the original (Sep '13 build) OEM battery for a new Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 48 battery today from Batteries Plus.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli48agm

Took about 2.5 hours, including the trip to the store to drop off the core and pick up the new one, and grab breakfast for The Boss at Chick-Fil-A.

Removal is fairly straightforward; Tools needed are a T20, 10mm socket, 10mm box end, and 13 mm socket on a 3" extension. I bought a small Craftsman 1/2" metric set at Lowe's that had everything I needed.

The battery in these cars is in the frunk. You just remove the front interior cover, loosen two torx screws and take out the power inflator and tray, then undo four nuts on two hold-down straps. Then two 10mm nuts on the battery posts. Swap in new and install is the reverse of removal, as they say. I kept it on a CTEK charger while the battery was out, car didn't seem to know the difference:

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-158-A.../dp/B000FQBWCY

Turn over on cranking seems a bit more vigorous, which is good. The OEM battery has been in there almost six years. I treat batteries as consumables; I don't, really, enjoy calling my wife from Tampa Airport at 8PM on a return business trip to say "honey my battery died can you come get me."

Anyway.

DIY is fairly easy on these cars, there's nothing super complicated about this. Quotes I've seen online from the dealer range from $600 to $800 for a new OEM battery.

Which now I am in a garage situation, I can do this kind of stuff now much easier.

Old:

New:

Happy car:

The new workshop:

Last edited by RJ; 04-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I seriously don’t want to read about you paying someone to swap brake parts again.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I seriously don’t want to read about you paying someone to swap brake parts again.
    You should have seen my tool set before I moved to Atlanta.

I gave most of the better stuff to my son and stepson.

I do miss the low profile aluminum jack and stands. That’d be nice to have.

Creeper would be good.

And some nice box end ratchets.

And some deep well 12 points.

And a 3/4” breaker.

Sigh. Not sure how much of this I can sneak past the boss but we’ll see lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Cabin Filter
    28 April 2019 53,732 miles $53.65

Replaced Pollen Particle Filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is fairly easy; three plastic tree screws come off the lower under cover, then the lower under cover is slid out revealing the tray of the heater/AC core assembly passenger side footwell. You pop the door open, remove the old filter, and slide the new one in and snap the door shut. Took longer to find a stubby screw driver to get the inner most plastic screw than to swap the filter.

Old vs. New: (last changed Jan 18)

Last edited by RJ; 04-28-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Site Supporter

Cool

I did the same "fix" with the Mann OEM manufactured cabin Air Filter on my 17 Jetta as the dealer wanted 70.00. The "book" it as a .5 hr job. Even the pamphlet that comes with the filter from the company itself says it is 12 minute job. I did it in 11:30 to include a quick youtube check. was out 20 max via Amazon.

I tip my hat to you for doing your work on such a fine car. You inspire me to do the same while I have mine under lease. Heck you have saved 500.00 plus on just these last 2 jobs. More than enough to cover you augmenting your tool set.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

More than enough to cover you augmenting your tool set.
    I like how you think.

My chief has one and I give him shit about it. Anyway, can’t give you a reason not to buy one but this clip is funny as hell.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and the great service and enjoyment you've gotten with this vehicle. I've successfully avoided the Siren's Song of a Porsche Cayenne for years and love to see your success!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List