Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    $200 an hour shop rate
    Ugh, perils of going to the P-car dealership, I guess.

Remove turbocharger(s)
    You just sent me down a google image search hole for 991.2 engine pictures. I guess they really did put the turbos and the intercoolers right there in the way. Not exactly friendly, service-wise. You'd think something which is not designed to be replaced at intervals would not be placed such that it obstructs access to something which *is* designed to be replaced at intervals. And I thought Audis were sometimes a pain to work on...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post

You just sent me down a google image search hole for 991.2 engine pictures. I guess they really did put the turbos and the intercoolers right there in the way. Not exactly friendly, service-wise. You'd think something which is not designed to be replaced at intervals would not be placed such that it obstructs access to something which *is* designed to be replaced at intervals. And I thought Audis were sometimes a pain to work on...
    It gets better. At 40K, I need two engine air filters. You have to take off the whole rear bumper.

The good thing though is that these cars are put together by no nonsense, beer-drinking hard nosed assembly workers. Here’s typical factory 991.2 engine tasks being performed.

Last edited by RJ; 03-10-2021 at 08:42 PM.

I am going to continue being poor with my wife's 2017 Mustang GT. So far, the only maintenance at 48,000 miles has been ten oil changes, two air filters, two sets of windshield wipers, ten tire rotations, two four-wheel alignments, one set of tires, two cabin air filters, a 12V battery, and two key fob batteries. I figure over 4.5 years we have spent about $2500 total on maintenance.

The plugs are not scheduled for replacement until 100,000 miles, but they will be replaced when the fuel economy starts to drop. Next scheduled service is a coolant replacement at 50,000 miles.

FIFY:
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Anytime I can get out of the dealer for less than $100K, I am happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    two key fob batteries
    I always have some spares handy for the Trijicom MROs...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    FIFY:

I always have some spares handy for the Trijicom MROs...
    The Ford key fob uses two CR2025 batteries. I have tons of CR2032 batteries, but had to make a special trip for CR2025. The battery replacement is simple once I figured out how the key fob comes apart. The real issue is that you should not ignore the "low battery" warning unless you know where the emergency lock is. The key fob can be opened to expose a real mechanical key. To use it, the cover of the driver's side lock has to be removed. That unlocks the door and gets you into the vehicle, but there is no mechanical ignition switch. The vehicle can be started with a dead key fob battery by removing the driver's cup holder's liner and placing the fob in the exposed recess. That forms an air-gap transformer that allows enough energy to flow into the fob for the fob to function and allow the vehicle to start.

I have 2032s in both the F-150 key and the Focus ST fob, I guess I am just lucky. I knew about the mechanical key inside my fob, but good to know abut the cupholder deal, it might be the same. But... I think right now imma gonna go grab one of the spare batteries and put it in the car!

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Ford key fob uses two CR2025 batteries. I have tons of CR2032 batteries, but had to make a special trip for CR2025. The battery replacement is simple once I figured out how the key fob comes apart. The real issue is that you should not ignore the "low battery" warning unless you know where the emergency lock is. The key fob can be opened to expose a real mechanical key. To use it, the cover of the driver's side lock has to be removed. That unlocks the door and gets you into the vehicle, but there is no mechanical ignition switch. The vehicle can be started with a dead key fob battery by removing the driver's cup holder's liner and placing the fob in the exposed recess. That forms an air-gap transformer that allows enough energy to flow into the fob for the fob to function and allow the vehicle to start.

Unscheduled Repair - Sunshade Roller Blind

28,930 miles

Drove home after my 30K service last week and went to close the roller sunblind as usual. I heard a few click clack noises then CRRRaackk and looked up to see this:

Name:  IMG_8401.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  68.5 KB

Ruh-Roh Raggy. I called to make a follow up appointment today to have this seen to. They replaced 9P1-898-520-OA3 "Roller Blind", no charge under Porsche OEM 4 year warranty. (I have a CPO, which adds two years to *that*).

The roller blind is a cool thing; it travels "under" the glass sunroof in roll up fashion and offers some shade (it's mostly opaque) from the sun. I generally have it closed. It's never, really, been very quiet in operation, but it sounds much smoother now that it's been replaced. I probably have used this maybe 5-7 times since I bought the car; either the sunroof is open, or it's closed, there's not a lot of in between for me. To be honest, I'd have skipped the sunroof on a build car, but since I bought CPO, it came that way.

Anyway, glad its fixed. This could have been pricey out of warranty; the part lists at $544 at Sunset Porsche, and they took every bit of 4 hours. At $200 an hour shop rate, I am sure this would have been over a $K.

In other news, it seems my dealer does free tech inspections, which are needed before Porsche Club of America "Driving Events". Said event might or might not be scheduled for 26-27 June, at Sebring, which might or might not be my first DE event. So now I may or may not be shopping for a helmet...
    Last edited by RJ; 03-16-2021 at 12:47 PM.

The little carbon fiber trim part by the center ashtray on our GT3 cracked... warranty covered it, but I think it was $2700 or something like that, lol.

You'll have a lot of fun at the DE. Driving on track is very much like shooting. Feel it, rather than think it or force it.

I used to instruct for DEs, it's fun to see people really enjoy their cars and it adds extra appreciation to just what wonderful cars 911s are!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Back in the '90s, I knew a guy with a really clean 928. He sold it because every couple of months, another little interior piece broke and cost $350 to replace so the thing wouldn't turn into a hooptie.

That's one reason why most of my E46 bad ideas involve no interior.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Thought this was really cool. The GT3 is my dream car. Automotive perfection.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...iles-straight/

User Tag List