Page 27 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

[QUOTE=Rich_Jenkins;824773]1-19-19. 50,512 mi

Saturday morning wash and fuel.

Bought a bottle of techroline and dumped it in. I usually run some through for peace of mind before an oil change.

Speaking of, I scheduled one at a local Indy garage near me next week. Estimate is $217 out the door w 9 quarts of synthetic plus filter plus crush washer, and OCI reset. I tried the two dealers in town but frustratingly could not get a human being to answer the phone for a simple question of how much an Oil Service costs at a Porsche Dealer. Oh well.

Car running well, no issues. Still lots of fun.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.

[QUOTE=Rich_Jenkins;835395]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    1-19-19. 50,512 mi

Saturday morning wash and fuel.

Bought a bottle of techroline and dumped it in. I usually run some through for peace of mind before an oil change.

Speaking of, I scheduled one at a local Indy garage near me next week. Estimate is $217 out the door w 9 quarts of synthetic plus filter plus crush washer, and OCI reset. I tried the two dealers in town but frustratingly could not get a human being to answer the phone for a simple question of how much an Oil Service costs at a Porsche Dealer. Oh well.

Car running well, no issues. Still lots of fun.
    Looks good Rich & indy’s no doubt vs. a P car dealer. Used one that I’ve been doing bus. w/ for 35yrs. for 2 OC’s in the Macan S & would use them again but my first oil change in the CGTS is on PCNA now as standard equipment, who knew?

1-24-19 50,930

Oil service. $236 out the door, including tax at my local independent German car garage. Filter was $27.32, oil (7.5) was $87.66, rest was labor and tax.

The bad new was he reported soon to need brake pads, front and rear. So I have that going for me. :|
    Last edited by RJ; 01-24-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Tell us about insurance cost.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Tell us about insurance cost.
    Willie, I apologize, I don’t understand what you are asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie, I apologize, I don’t understand what you are asking?

I think he is just wondering about insurance costs. As it varies state to state, county to county, address to address, carrier to carrier, person to person... I’m not sure how useful it is.

Site Supporter
    I seem to remember when we were talking you out of buying the car, expense to own and maintain may have been pointed out. So I notice that oil change cost was given. I read that figure and said wow. This baby does cost a lot to drive. I've owned 8 vehicles in 56 years and will trade my 18 year old Tacoma after I get all the good out of it. I still have the same pair of bull balls hanging from the rear bumper. No joke. After writing the explanation, I realize that I asked a personal question. Please overlook it. 🙂

So: Brake estimate is around $7xx front. $5xx rears all in (can’t remember exact numbers) including aftermarket pads (Pagid or Texar I believe), and rotors.

He said Porsche OEM parts would add $600-$800 to that, yikes. And I have an ‘S’, with the bigger brakes.

Still, 50k+ miles out of a set of pads is pretty good for a sports car I reckon. It’s a light car and the brakes are stupid effective. Some brake dust as per usual with these soft pads, but nothing like the BMW brake dust I’ve seen.

Having to pay for this simple service is mildly irritating because brakes are such an easy job on German cars. I did my E46, twice. Unfortunately I sold all my real tools when I moved to the Condo in Atlanta in ‘15, and there’s just no place to work on the car at my current place. Plus, honestly, I just don’t really want to wrench on cars anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I seem to remember when we were talking you out of buying the car, expense to own and maintain may have been pointed out. So I notice that oil change cost was given. I read that figure and said wow. This baby does cost a lot to drive. I've owned 8 vehicles in 56 years and will trade my 18 year old Tacoma after I get all the good out of it. I still have the same pair of bull balls hanging from the rear bumper. No joke. After writing the explanation, I realize that I asked a personal question. Please overlook it. [emoji846]
    It’s all good Willie.

So: Brake estimate is around $7xx front. $5xx rears all in (can’t remember exact numbers) including aftermarket pads (Pagid or Texar I believe), and rotors.

He said Porsche OEM parts would add $600-$800 to that, yikes. And I have an ‘S’, with the bigger brakes.

Still, 50k+ miles out of a set of pads is pretty good for a sports car I reckon. It’s a light car and the brakes are stupid effective. Some brake dust as per usual with these soft pads, but nothing like the BMW brake dust I’ve seen.

Having to pay for this simple service is mildly irritating because brakes are such an easy job on German cars. I did my E46, twice. Unfortunately I sold all my real tools when I moved to the Condo in Atlanta in ‘15, and there’s just no place to work on the car at my current place. Plus, honestly, I just don’t really want to wrench on cars anymore.
    Are they carbon ceramic?

User Tag List