Page 17 of 78 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Boom.

So......50lbs of Texas Steak Rub qualifies for Wheel time?

Enjoy the ride man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    So......50lbs of Texas Steak Rub qualifies for Wheel time?
    No rub needed - come on by if you ever find yourself in Tampa.

Third day of daily driving to work and I'm still in love. Or lust. Not sure. Both maybe.

The seating position, view, and ergonomics really suit me. I'm 5'6" so not a big guy. I have no problem seeing out the front. The back, not so much. I ordered an aftermarket backup camera (no camera in '14) and will see if I can wireless it to my Garmin Nuvi.

The flat six is...sweet. Spins right up; seems to have just the right amount of torque relative to the weight of the car (3,300??). Handling and roadholding are pretty neutral, as you would expect given a mid-engine layout and fairly fat sticky Goodyear F1s (they would not be my choice but they work and have decent tread.) Car feels very planted through corners and steering is extremely precise. Obviously I'm no where near the limit, or even under power very much in turns, in rush hour traffic.

A positive discovery is the Porsche Communication System. I linked my phone via BT and discovered that Pandora will stream through the car, enabling me to take advantage of the Bose system. Very nice.

Going to dinner last night, my wife said "hey, it sounds like a VW". LOL. She's right, there is a very characteristic and mechanical sound from flat engines. Both of us had time in Germany growing up and we are very very used to the sound of VW Beetles. I thought that was kind of funny.

I have yet to select the "sport" button. I'm guessing it just remaps the (electronic) throttle to a quicker mapping, but we'll see. In the PDK (cough automatic cough) cars, it also changes the shift points I gather. With a 6MT, I'm not too worried exactly what it does. I'll experiment with this this weekend.

I've generally been driving sedately back and forth to work, learning the shift points and gearbox and brake combinations for smooth driving. Of course, today was early dismissal at work...so I was out on the road at 2PM, the sun was shining, I was on the causeway on Tampa Bay...the water was blue...and I have to admit, I let my inner Porsche asshole out just a little bit. Man this thing can carve through traffic.

Only thing I need to adjust is the cold tire pressure - Factory setting is 29/30 and PO set them to 39/40. I'm like, wtf, no wonder my fillings are jarring loose. I just haven't a chance to set them cold. I'll take care of that Saturday morning, as well as run down to the local Dealer in St Pete for a paint stick just in case.

Love love love the car. Hell I should have bought one of these 10 years ago.

Third day of daily driving to work and I'm still in love. Or lust. Not sure. Both maybe.

The seating position, view, and ergonomics really suit me. I'm 5'6" so not a big guy. I have no problem seeing out the front. The back, not so much. I ordered an aftermarket backup camera (no camera in '14) and will see if I can wireless it to my Garmin Nuvi.

The flat six is...sweet. Spins right up; seems to have just the right amount of torque relative to the weight of the car (3,300??). Handling and roadholding are pretty neutral, as you would expect given a mid-engine layout and fairly fat sticky Goodyear F1s (they would not be my choice but they work and have decent tread.) Car feels very planted through corners and steering is extremely precise. Obviously I'm no where near the limit, or even under power very much in turns, in rush hour traffic.

A positive discovery is the Porsche Communication System. I linked my phone via BT and discovered that Pandora will stream through the car, enabling me to take advantage of the Bose system. Very nice.

Going to dinner last night, my wife said "hey, it sounds like a VW". LOL. She's right, there is a very characteristic and mechanical sound from flat engines. Both of us had time in Germany growing up and we are very very used to the sound of VW Beetles. I thought that was kind of funny.

I have yet to select the "sport" button. I'm guessing it just remaps the (electronic) throttle to a quicker mapping, but we'll see. In the PDK (cough automatic cough) cars, it also changes the shift points I gather. With a 6MT, I'm not too worried exactly what it does. I'll experiment with this this weekend.

I've generally been driving sedately back and forth to work, learning the shift points and gearbox and brake combinations for smooth driving. Of course, today was early dismissal at work...so I was out on the road at 2PM, the sun was shining, I was on the causeway on Tampa Bay...the water was blue...and I have to admit, I let my inner Porsche asshole out just a little bit. Man this thing can carve through traffic.

Only thing I need to adjust is the cold tire pressure - Factory setting is 29/30 and PO set them to 39/40. I'm like, wtf, no wonder my fillings are jarring loose. I just haven't a chance to set them cold. I'll take care of that Saturday morning, as well as run down to the local Dealer in St Pete for a paint stick just in case.

Congrats, Rich!

You've recalibrated my vision as to what I should aspire towards (when both my girls are out of college)!

When you get ready for tires, in my opinion, nothing beats Michelin Pilot Sports. This seems to be the opinion of Porsche, too, because that's all they use as OEM.

Consistently, they have been the best >180 treadwear tires for One Lap of America (http://www.onelapofamerica.com/).

According to Car & Drive, curb weight should be just a tick over 2900 pounds (2910 is "official"). So, with you in it and a tank full of gas I'd be surprised if you're over 3200, unless you're hauling around some bricks or lots of ammo...

Enjoy man! I admit, I'm jealous! I had a dream last night that I bought a Cayman S in black and was carving up the road to my new faculty job. Now...if I only had the faculty job...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    When you get ready for tires, in my opinion, nothing beats Michelin Pilot Sports. This seems to be the opinion of Porsche, too, because that's all they use as OEM.
    Ditto.

Yeah I have no idea on the weight. 2,900 sounds right too but I’ll check.

Good luck on the job.

Hell I should have bought one of these 10 years ago.
    A bunch of fellow retirees and I, all 60+, get together once a month or so for lunch. Recently, one of them drove up in a shiny Corvette. I asked him why he bought it, given he'd been driving a little Ford or his old Jeep. His reply: "Hey, we're in the fourth quarter. It's now or never."

Good timing, Rich. Drive on!!

I ordered an aftermarket backup camera (no camera in '14) and will see if I can wireless it to my Garmin Nuvi.
    Garmin makes one, that would probably take the drama out of connecting it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-BC-Wir...70_&dpSrc=srch
    I keep meaning to buy one for my truck (also a 2014), since I already spent $750 getting the tailgate repaired once...

Car feels very planted through corners
    Thought you were living in Florida?

I have yet to select the "sport" button. I'm guessing it just remaps the (electronic) throttle to a quicker mapping, but we'll see. With a 6MT, I'm not too worried exactly what it does.
    Probably less traction control? That is what it does in my lowly Focus. Hit the button and you get no traction control, press and hold and you get less stability control as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Enjoy man! I admit, I'm jealous!
    This...
    Yeah, this, a lot...

I had a Supra with a sport button. It tightened up the suspension.

User Tag List