Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

11-16-18 49,328 mi

...aaaand have my first issue: Not sure if due to the recent cold (50°F) snap in Tampa, but on the way to work yesterday, I noticed about 4” of the drivers forward headliner had come out of the tuck-in. It’s just cosmetic for now.

It seems from researching the forums that headliner issues are not uncommon on German cars and 981s in particular.

Looking at options to address this now.

Also: the Roav Dash Cam ($140) arrived, as well as a new pair of Porsche OEM wiper blades ($50). Will install this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 11-17-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I noticed about 4” of the drivers forward headliner had come out of the tuck-in.
    That looks like a minor, $400-$600 repair...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Had that happen with my E36. Could never match the OE liner, but found some 1/4" thick stuff at the fabric store and did the job myself. Good enough for a beater, but that would not be an acceptable solution on your car.

______

Finally got the Bilsteins in for my car. Installed them and aligned it last weekend (yes, I do that myself - not a fan of air impacts used to tighten adjusters, or anything else, really), and it's a vast improvement. Kept the stock springs.

Am going for a minus-1 upgrade on the wheels with 20mm wider tires (Pilot Sport 4S). Neverminding an 8mm custom spacer, extended studs and the pressure sensors, the front wheel/tire combo is 13 lb, 9 oz lighter per side than the stock 18s.

Hurry up, spacer dude!!!!
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    That looks like a minor, $400-$600 repair...
    Would you believe I've seen reports of Dealer costs for headliner replacement...on the order of $2,500...yikes.

(But, thank God, same forum thread includes mention of after market auto repair/upholstery shop estimates in the $200-$250 range, labor and material included.)
    Last edited by RJ; 11-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Had that happen with my E36. Could never match the OE liner, but found some 1/4" thick stuff at the fabric store and did the job myself. Good enough for a beater, but that would not be an acceptable solution on your car.
    Aye. My E46 ZHP at around 100K started sagging above the rear deck, as well as the A and B pillar. It was unsightly but did not impress my date at the time (now wife ).

Still miss that car.

Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  74.2 KB

Congrats on the Bilsteins. I''ll bet that is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    (But, thank God, same forum thread includes mention of after market auto repair/upholstery shop estimates in the $200-$250 range, labor and material included.)
    Be sure to check the material before they glue it into your car. The OE material in my BMW was ~1/8" ~3mm thick, with a very consistent nap. I could never find replacement material that looked the same or had thinner than 1/4" foam. I would expect the $200-250 job to use whatever is available and cheap locally - perfectly good enough for a beater.
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ______

Finally got the Bilsteins in for my car. Installed them and aligned it last weekend (yes, I do that myself - not a fan of air impacts used to tighten adjusters, or anything else, really), and it's a vast improvement. Kept the stock springs.
    Bilsteins plus PilotSport 4s plus stock springs has been an amazing combination on the Z3. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Bilsteins plus PilotSport 4s plus stock springs has been an amazing combination on the Z3. Love it
    Now get some light wheels. Going from 12.5 lb to 9 lb on my Miata was night and day.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I miss my ZHP - RIP due to Atlanta traffic and collision.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I miss my ZHP - RIP due to Atlanta traffic and collision.
    Damn.

User Tag List