Page 54 of 78 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Porsche Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Major Detail - Exterior

28,796 miles

Did my first major detail on the paint today. I am a little bit familiar with cleaning cars for show; I had a '67 Austin Cooper S that was restored by a previous owner I took to a whole bunch of events when I lived in the UK in the mid-90s. I did the London to Brighton run in it a couple times, which was an awful lot of fun.

Anyway, this GT Silver on my car is easy to keep looking clean. For whatever reason the dirt doesn't show up almost at all, even though I know it's got stuff on it. I knew when I was putting the brakes on I'd need to get to the finish to clean it up.

For this detail, I washed with Dawn dishwashing soap, to try and degrease the car and get most of the previous wax off. I then did a clay bar treatment, lubing with water+a drop of Dawn in a spray bottle. The paint was pretty smooth at this point. I had ordered a Griot's Garage G9 orbital polisher and a 5.5" backing plate and pads from Lake Country:

Attachment 68019

This worked well. I ended up just using the black waxing pad and the all in one product I chose, HD Speed. This is basically a cleaner wax. After a hand application of the curves and fiddly parts I knew I could not get wiht the buffer. I applied the HD Speed in even passes until I got around the car all the way. This product cures fairly fast, after about a minute, and some light buffing, the finish is super smooth and glossy.

After about 6 hours work, I'm pretty happy with my first use of a buffer. It's definitely a more effective way to apply a product than a hand polish job. The Griot's buffer is soooo nice to work with; I'm very glad I upped my budget to buy this one. I can see why it's popular.

I finished up with some Rejex synthetic wax on the rims, and my usual low-sheen Chemical Guys Tire Dressing on the Michelins. Plus polishing the windows.

Attachment 68020

The finish "pops" a bit more now. The paint was in decent shape, for a four year old daily driver. I could probably have gone to use the slightly harsher blue polishing pad I'd ordered, but in the end, being a noobie, stuck with the black wax pad. I was more interested in seeing how this product worked for what was essentially a wax job. I really like this HD Speed stuff, the finish ended being very very squeaky and durable feeling; whether this was the product, or the claybar, or both, I'm not sure, but it definitely looks better.
    Nice work rich. Just an FYI, HD speed has very mild abrasives, therefore you shouldn’t have any concerns with using a nice finishing or medium pad. Using a waxing pad is basically just machine waxing vs actually polishing, you should see much better results in clarity and defect removal with a more aggressive pad the next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Nice work rich. Just an FYI, HD speed has very mild abrasives, therefore you shouldn’t have any concerns with using a nice finishing or medium pad. Using a waxing pad is basically just machine waxing vs actually polishing, you should see much better results in clarity and defect removal with a more aggressive pad the next time around.
    Thanks; that makes total sense.

I was just a little hesitant to use the blue (the next up in cutting level) Lake Country CCS pad due to my inexperience and all. Being as how it was my first time using one of these "real" DA machines. The finish on the 911 is "not bad", but obviously is not in the show car category, by a long shot. I'll try the light cutting blue pad next time, for sure.

Misc. Service

28,817 miles

I replaced the four anti-theft "security" wheel bolts with normal hex bolts.

Name:  IMG_8376.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  54.1 KB

This should end the game of "where is the damned adapter" that I often have to play. Seriously. For my situation,, these things are more of a PITA than anything else.

And, of course, I managed to MISPLACE THE FREAKING ADAPTER just after torquing the final bolt to 118 lb ft after the brake service. It could have been in the pile of dirty rags, or maybe I left it on the wheel and it fell off on the short test drive...but it's gone.

So: I had to learn about how many different type splined anti-theft wheel bolt options Porsche uses (take a wild guess; answer below *), and figure out which one was on my car. Then I had to determine corresponding part number, source it, order it, then return THAT one because I had miscounted the splines, source the correct one, return the first one and finally wait for USPS to deliver a 2 day "priority" package from Sunset Porsche in Beaverton Oregon with the right part. In 11 days. Geez.

* answer: 10.

Took about 15 minutes to swap them out one at a time using my 20V cordless impact wrench. For whatever reason, when I went to check torque, my Gear Wrench battery powered 1/2" torque wrench I'd bought last May didn't want to power up. So I had to revert to Plan B and use my HF 1/2" wrench. Which doesn't need batteries. Harumph.

Cost was $33 for the four new bolts and another $23 for the replacement adapter.

On the finish: I did another complete pass using the Blue light cutting pad and the HD Speed with the polisher. The surface pops up even more; I'm more than pleased with it as 4 year old daily driver. I'll need to get it out in the sunlight soon.

Name:  IMG_8377.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  51.0 KB

Last item, I scheduled a service visit at the dealer next week. I tested the fluid in the brake MC and got 4% water.

Name:  IMG_8359.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  46.5 KB

I was going to wait until April to get that done (brake fluid last changed out April 2019, so far as I know) but I've scheduled it in next Wednesday at the local Porsche place here in Tampa. I am also going to have them do the 30K inspection and reset the service minder, and replace all 6 spark plugs. This is all part of the "30K" service, so after that work is completed I will be good until 2022.

I have done brake fluid lots of times on my BMWs but it can be a bit messy. And unfortunately my Motive fluid bleeder pump and bottles got sold when I got rid of all my car tools and stuff in Atlanta. Grrr. The plugs theoretically I could do myself, but there is a lot of weird stuff you have to drop like shrouds and the turbo inlets on both sides, plus the wheels of course. And you need extensions and wobble bits and frankly I'm just too old for that crap. The estimate from the dealer was acceptable ($2xx something for brakes and $6xx something for the plugs) I'm just going to use my PCA discount and get it done. I plan to stay in their lounge, drink lots of coffee and drool over the new 992s.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-03-2021 at 02:42 PM.

30K Service

28,874 miles

Completed the last remaining service items for the 30K service today at my local dealer. I did the required oil / filter and air filter(s) changes myself. They also reset the service counter, and gave me the "Inspection". I opted to add a brake fluid flush. The only other thing they had to do was new plugs. These are required by time at four years or 30K; I opted to have them done early so as to avoid going back while we are moving house this spring. Plus as mentioned, I'm not as spry as I used to be and lack a bunch of wobbly bits to do this dance with tight engine quarters on a coil-on-plug engine.

Total including my PCA discount was $869. Anytime I can get out of the dealer for less than $1K, I am happy. Since I did nothing but pass the time, I will post some photos.

I attempted to make significant dent in their fancy pants coffee supply.
    Name:  IMG_8397.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  37.6 KB

There were not many 911s to drool over, sadly. One white '18 Turbo, I didn't look at the price. This 2020 CPO 4S was the right color; shame the seats don't work. $152K, plus it was an automatic. Pfft; I'll keep my car.
    Name:  IMG_8394.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  87.1 KB

Car runs great. I got home and tested the brake fluid again, <1% moisture, as expected.
    Name:  IMG_8402.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  78.9 KB

Site Supporter
    What is this brake fluid moisture testing device you are using?
    The gadget-whore (or gadget hoarder, if you prefer) in me wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

Brake Fluid Tester Pen, Hydraulic Fluid Liquid Oil Moisture Analyzer with 5 LED Indicators, Auto Brake Diagnostic Testing Tool for DOT3 DOT4 Brake Fluid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ2LD1T...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/eOUTIL-Hydrau...dp/B07QZ2LD1T/
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Brake Fluid Tester Pen, Hydraulic Fluid Liquid Oil Moisture Analyzer with 5 LED Indicators, Auto Brake Diagnostic Testing Tool for DOT3 DOT4 Brake Fluid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ2LD1T...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Ordered!
    (Using @LittleLebowski ‘s link), so I presume P-F gets a little sumpin’.

$6xx something for the plugs
    911s haven't been twin plug since the 993, right, so you're only talking about 6 plugs? $100/plug sounds bonkers...unless they're giving you new coils at the same time or something?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    911s haven't been twin plug since the 993, right, so you're only talking about 6 plugs? $100/plug sounds bonkers...unless they're giving you new coils at the same time or something?
    Correct, 6 plugs. Coils are not typically replaced unless you are either unlucky to have a misfire (or an early 981S with the wrong coil type, Bosch vs. something else) or are REALLY OCD (I'm not)).

And yeah I get it. The breakdown is $150 for six plugs (what the dealer charged me; they are $17.60 at Sunset, each, so $25 retail is not bad I guess). The big cost is the labor, $481.91. That job probably books out at 2 and a bit hours, so at their $200 an hour shop rate, that makes sense, given what you have to do; below is a summary / task list based on the service manual I have access to:

Remove rear wheel(s)
    For ignition coils on cyl 1 and 4: Remove rear wheel housing liner(s) (at the rear).
    Remove intake manifold
    Remove turbocharger(s)
    Remove heat shield at the top
    Remove Ignition Coils
    Remove and reinstall spark plugs

Name:  plugs.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  34.6 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 03-10-2021 at 07:10 PM.

User Tag List