Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

Here’s my setup. 11.5” BCM lite fluted w/Keymod handguard and TLR-1 HL.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-17-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    LE6920- sorry guess that helps.
    With the fixed front sight post of your Colt 6920, you can't use the same setup as many have posted as using on their rifle, unless you get a cutout rail like the Centurion rail shown below. These rails are nice, but they tend to be heavy and expensive.

I still own a Colt 6920, and have gifted each of my children and step-children a Colt 6920 to get them started in life. While the factory furniture is functional, I greatly prefer the feel of the MagPUl MOE-sl furniture on the 6920's. The MagPul MOE-sl hand guard also gives you the option of having M-LOK attachment points. All in a light and cost effective manner.

Depending on the light to be used, I've used two different methods to attach a white light with good results.

First is to get the MagPul polymer Cantilever Rail and attach it to the left side of the hand guard. The Inforce WMLX light works well in this position and it puts the light at about 9 O'Clock. If you use a VFG, this works really well. If you hold the gun in a beer can or C grip then you have to rotate the hand to the left to activate the light. The latest generation of the Inforce light, especially the WMLX is more sturdy than the original light and is a good option for a HD gun.

Another option is the SMCXL mount by IWC. This is a gooseneck type of mount that puts the light at around the 10-11 O'Clock position and forward so that the light is next to the front sight post. This works really well with a light such as the Surefire Scout series or the Streetlight copies of the scout lights.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...-mount-n-slot/

All of the Colt 6920's that I had gifted my kids were set up with MagPul MOE-sl furniture with a cantilever rail attached, a VCAS sling, an Inforce WMLX and a Trijicon MRO optic along with a fist full of PMAG's. This is what I consider to be a basic setup.

AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Currently I have a mlok with arisaka offset light mount and a g2x light. Works good and is light weight. Clicky switch is okay but a dual tape switch is easier in my opinion to use after trying both extensively.

I am moving to a streamlight with the dual switch.
    I am using the Streamlight scout light, smaller one. It’s not too bright for inside the house. It’s on an SBR with a 7” rail, so space is limited. At first I had it on right side with the supplied tape switch at 12 o’ clock. I just couldn’t get down with the remote switch, seems flimsy, prone to fail at the wrong time, and always got pushed inadvertently during travel. YMMV. Ended up moving it back to the left side, coupled with a stubby VFG. It’s a more natural angle for me to reach up and push the clicky tailcap with my thumb.

To the OP: nothing wrong with a FSB and a Magpul handguard. Plenty useable and affordable. If it’s a possibility, having a low pro gas block and a longer rail gives you better options IMO.

Below picture is pretty crappy, but might help. My rail ought to be similar in length to a carbine handguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 04-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I am using the Streamlight scout light, smaller one. It’s not too bright for inside the house. It’s on an SBR with a 7” rail, so space is limited. At first I had it on right side with the supplied tape switch at 12 o’ clock. I just couldn’t get down with the remote switch, seems flimsy, prone to fail at the wrong time, and always got pushed inadvertently during travel. YMMV. Ended up moving it back to the left side, coupled with a stubby VFG. It’s a more natural angle for me to reach up and push the clicky tailcap with my thumb.

To the OP: nothing wrong with a FSB and a Magpul handguard. Plenty useable and affordable. If it’s a possibility, having a low pro gas block and a longer rail gives you better options IMO.

Below picture is pretty crappy, but might help. My rail ought to be similar in length to a carbine handguard.

Thank you for the info. I have only used one streamlight with tape switch. Put a lot of rounds through it. But that is only a sample of one. The surefire and the streamlight I used had the tape switch at the upper 45* on the left side of the gun with the lights on the right.

If the tape switch is sketchy I might as well just throw a upgraded g2x in my current mount.

The front sight post on the 6920 does present a problem with some rails, but guess I’m just an AR-15 originalist .
    My thought is to get a Surefire 600U and the arisaka inline mount for now. I want to upgrade my rails in the future. Seems like there are a million options to choose from. I like the BCM carbine rails but BCM on a Colt- just doesn’t seem right!
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I have to agree with @Beat Trash - The IWC and MOE combo works well enough that I wonder why my latest Colt is sporting a Geissele mk 8.

Name:  IMG_0333.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  48.5 KB
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Scout 600u in a Arisaka Inline.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Unless you need alot of accuracy, a magpul MOE handguard will do everything a bedroom-to-kitchen gun needs.
    Your statement sounds like you were implying there is some sort of accuracy issue with Magpul handguards at longer ranges. If so, I have to disagree with you. The 6920's we have shoot just fine out to 150 meters with the Magpul handguards that are on the guns.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I've been using a Mossie Tactical Midnight Mount with a Surefire 300 for a few years and it's always worked great!
    I believe Arisaka carries them now
    Name:  CarbineSurefire002.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  CarbineSurefire003.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  CarbineSurfire001.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  52.2 KB
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Your statement sounds like you were implying there is some sort of accuracy issue with Magpul handguards at longer ranges. If so, I have to disagree with you. The 6920's we have shoot just fine out to 150 meters with the Magpul handguards that are on the guns.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    150m isn’t really far. I think he’s referring to the fact that the barrel is not free floated with those hand guards and therefore, it will typically be a less accurate platform as it is more vulnerable to barrel flexing.

User Tag List