Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

Setting up an AR as my primary home defense tool ASAP. I’m doing research but wanted to know what this group has found as the best rail/light combo.
    The AR is a Colt- and I’m leaning towards Magpul M-Lock but would appreciate some more input. Also- any accessories I would need to purchase. I believe my best option would be a streamlight, but definitely need help.

I can do a better thread search when I’m not at work, as I’m sure there has been more than one discussion on this already. But sometimes the old threads could use some updating!

Thank you.
    Last edited by holmes168; 04-17-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Scout light mounted with an Arisaka inline mount on a 45* rail hole works fantastic for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    Scout light mounted with an Arisaka inline mount on a 45* rail hole works fantastic for me.

Currently I have a mlok with arisaka offset light mount and a g2x light. Works good and is light weight. Clicky switch is okay but a dual tape switch is easier in my opinion to use after trying both extensively.

I am moving to a streamlight with the dual switch. Just need a offset scout mount. Really would like baby surefire, too much moola for me currently.

Basically what above poster said.

Last edited by Trukinjp13; 04-17-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Setting up an AR as my primary home defense tool ASAP. I’m doing research but wanted to know what this group has found as the best rail/light combo.
    The AR is a Colt- and I’m leaning towards Magpul M-Lock but would appreciate some more input. Also- any accessories I would need to purchase. I believe my best option would be a streamlight, but definitely need help.
    What kind of Colt do you have? Does it have a fixed front sight post, or does it have a low profile gas block with a 13”-15” rail?

Depending on how your gun is set up depends on what options are available to you.

Plenty of very viable options, to the point of over load. For a light that will remain permanently attached I would roll with something as light and compact as possible, such as the Arisaka 600 Series.

I decided to go with a Vltor QD mount that allows me to quickly attach/detach any of my Malkoff or SF hand held lights. This results in more weight but a light doesn't live on the rifle, I only install it as needed. Below is a photo of a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 installed on my BCM;

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    What kind of Colt do you have? Does it have a fixed front sight post, or does it have a low profile gas block with a 13”-15” rail?

Depending on how your gun is set up depends on what options are available to you.
    LE6920- sorry guess that helps.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I just started to set up a Colt for a family member-kept it simple.
    Not as “sexy”, but Bill Rogers has designed the “Tri-Rail”, which is a bolt on piece of the hand guard. Maybe not heavy duty, but very economical and efficient; Holsterops.com.
    I put that with a Streamlight dedicated light. One could go with a SUREFIRE(highest quality), or Inforce(which I don’t have a lot of experience with. Streamlight has a 2 battery version, and SUREFIRE the same.
    Make your choice, pay the money.

Site Supporter
    Timely thread as I just decided to do the same and set up my rifle to be more home defense and low light capable.

Can't say that it's the best but it's an M Lok rail with a BCM 1 inch ring light mount. I looked hard at the Arisaka and Surefire scout lights but I had the P2X lying around and decided that it was more prudent to snag the mount for 40 bucks rather than 200+ for a new light. I also looked at the Arisaka ring mount but ended up going with the BCM as I was concerned that the scallops in the light body might lend to poor purchase by a single ring and decided that two points of contact would be more solid and likely hold up better to abuse.

Overall I'm pleased but I'm going to play around with placement and front sight clearance to support mounting at 10-11 o'clock on the rail to better fit natural hand/thumb placement for intuitive activation. The Arisaka inline mount looks to be more capable from a tuneability perspective and may be worth the price to experiment but for now this setup gives me more capability than I previously had to deal with darkness so I'm a happy camper.

Name:  IMG_0774.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  30.4 KB
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

@holmes168, I don't know what your home looks like or what kind of capability you need for that home, but here's MY 6920: Centurion rail that preserves the factory, pinned FSB, haley mount for the scout light, VFG, and an aimpoint. my sling is normally wrapped up tight with the shock cord so it's not flapping around

I do believe that for a "house" gun, the money should be spent on the red dot, and the light. Unless you need alot of accuracy, a magpul MOE handguard will do everything a bedroom-to-kitchen gun needs.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 04-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.

IWC SMC and MLok mounts for G2X/P2X at 10:30 or so.

User Tag List