Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    150m isn’t really far. I think he’s referring to the fact that the barrel is not free floated with those hand guards and therefore, it will typically be a less accurate platform as it is more vulnerable to barrel flexing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While it's true that a floated barrel wont have POI shift like a non FF setup, it's still an accurate platform. Especially shooting with irons or a red dot, it's adequate. I've shot out to 500 and 600 yards many times with a plane jane 20" A2 rifle with good success, even with a sling. Bipods are a different story though

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    While it's true that a floated barrel wont have POI shift like a non FF setup, it's still an accurate platform. Especially shooting with irons or a red dot, it's adequate. I've shot out to 500 and 600 yards many times with a plane jane 20" A2 rifle with good success, even with a sling. Bipods are a different story though
    Agreed, which is why I said “less accurate” and not “inaccurate.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    150m isn’t really far.
    It is when compared to the bedroom to kitchen distances mentioned in the post I replied to.

(I do agree it's not that much of a distance for a rifle. But until the local range completes its renovation that's the furthest distance available locally.)

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I've been using a Mossie Tactical Midnight Mount with a Surefire 300 for a few years and it's always worked great!
    I believe Arisaka carries them now
    Attachment 25617
    I have copied this style light attachment method on my carbine length AR, with Magpul MOE hand guard, F marked front sight post, Mossie FSB mount, and X300U 600 lumen model. I'm still trying to get comfortable with carbine handling, but i find my index and middle fingers get awfully close to slipping off the front of the hand guard and touching the FSB to reach the tail of the X300U for activation. I am thinking about getting a Magpul SL handguard to cover the bottom of the FSB like so (not my picture):

Any thoughts/experience with this? Should I just shut up and rotate my wrist more to reach the light?

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H View Post
    ..I am thinking about getting a Magpul SL handguard to cover the bottom of the FSB...Any thoughts/experience with this? Should I just shut up and get the MagPul Slimline handguard?
    Fixed it for ya!

All kidding aside, the Midnight Mount is better with the Magpul Slimline handguard.

I think the Slimline is the best non-freefloat handguard out there, unless your rail estate needs are measured by the linear yard.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Great! I'm probably going to pick one up this weekend. As fashionable as bigger free floated hand guards are, I can't justify the cost to change over yet. I gotta prioritize more ammo buying!

I've been running the Slimline handguard almost as soon as they became available. In all that time, I've never found myself wishing I had a free float handguard.

I have carbon fiber free float handguards, which I like very much, on two of my ARs. Those ARs are set up for precision shooting and are a different story.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Name:  wml-1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  wml-2.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  29.4 KB

Fixed it for ya!

All kidding aside, the Midnight Mount is better with the Magpul Slimline handguard.

I think the Slimline is the best non-freefloat handguard out there, unless your rail estate needs are measured by the linear yard.
    I've been running the Slimline handguard almost as soon as they became available. In all that time, I've never found myself wishing I had a free float handguard.

I have carbon fiber free float handguards, which I like very much, on two of my ARs. Those ARs are set up for precision shooting and are a different story.
    I'm running the original MOE carbine handguards.

Name:  IMG_0750.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  36.4 KB
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

A short piece of universal plastic rail from magpul, drilled and screwed to the ribbed handguard at about 10-11:00, spare weaver 1" ring on a Surefire G2 nitrolon light works pretty well for those of us on a budget. I think the rail piece was about $7 at the local dicks gun smut emporium, the ring I had in the parts box, and already had the nice yellow G2. It required a little file work on the light to get the ring around it, but not difficult.

User Tag List