Thread: Beretta M9A3 Convert G to FS Help

Hammertime

Beretta M9A3 Convert G to FS Help

I have an M9A3 which is currently in G configuration. It came that way from the factory. I would like to convert it to FS, simply to get some experience working with a Beretta in that pattern.

I can find lots of information on FS to G conversions, but none on G to FS.

Do I need parts or a kit for this, or should everything needed be in the Beretta box somewhere? It looks like I need to remove the circular spring, but I am not sure if I need a certain detent or different FS style levers to get it to lock into the safe position.

You need a FS safety... set up. Its a different part since it does not require the G return spring. Should be cheap...

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa....aspx?psize=96

Note: M9A3 safety is different than standard 92FS...

I can say from having done the FS to G conversion a few times, WATCH A COUPLE OF VIDEOS first before you do it. Plenty of You tube videos out there to pick from. It is not difficult, but here are some tricks to not losing the spring loaded detentes. Putting the whole slide in a gallon Zip Lock bag during detent install and removal will save you a lot of cussing and crawling around on the ground searching fro the detente...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Hammertime
    Updating my own thread. There are no parts needed to convert the M9A3 (or any of the newer Beretta Convertible levers) G levers to FS function. All you have to do is remove the circular right sided return spring. One small punch to remove the right sided lever and some fiddling. I did order the above part from Brownells after calling BUSA and Brownells, and on the recommendation above, however that safety lever does nothing the original minus the circular return spring can't do and will be returned.

I am only extremely lucky I didn't lose springs and plungers. Be careful, wear safety goggles and doing it inside a ziplock is a great idea if you are messing with Beretta levers.

I would think the conversion least likely to result in flying springs and colorful language would be to find a used 92FS or M9 slide, and swap it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    doing it inside a ziplock is a great idea if you are messing with Beretta levers.
    I have found working in a plastic bag to be a total PITA. In the karmic way of the world, if you have extra parts you will never launch a spring or detent.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have found working in a plastic bag to be a total PITA. In the karmic way of the world, if you have extra parts you will never launch a spring or detent.
    Well I didn’t actually use the bag, but I was luckily able to find various plungers and springs that launched five times or so. [emoji41]

Well I didn’t actually use the bag, but I was luckily able to find various plungers and springs that launched five times or so. [emoji41]
    Once you've done it you know what to expect and can keep the launches to a minimum.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

You don't need the bag, just set a cup full of your best coffee anywhere on the workbench. Pretty much any part you launch will end up in the cup, as long as its full of beverage.

Or so I'm told.

User Tag List