Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M1A worth any time?

M1A worth any time?

Given the lack of pistol grip, unscary wood stock and common ten round mags, the M1A is starting to look like a reasonable option for all but the most restrictive ban states. Obviously ammo is heavy and we're not talking great accuracy, but there are threads about social bolt guns and lever guns at this point.

What would one need to know before looking in this direction? Is there anything here worth the time and money?

Site Supporter
    With proper massaging, the M1A can be very accurate.

And is always a cool, tempting option.

Site Supporter
    It’s worth it. A friend routinely shoots his at 900-1100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only for ban states in my opinion.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    and we're not talking great accuracy
    Really? What's expected accuracy on an M1A?

I've always sorta-kinda wanted one but never enough to actually pursue one.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Really? What's expected accuracy on an M1A?

I've always sorta-kinda wanted one but never enough to actually pursue one.
    I'm not any kind of expert, but I'm pretty sure most folks consider accuracy to go Bolt -> AR -> M1a. Without unitized gasblock and glass bedding I think most folks expect 1.5 MOA from a M1A on the better end of accuracy. But I'm not positive as I don't own one, I just enjoy reading about them.

-Cory

M1As are money pits but worthy of consideration in ban states. A large frame AR will be cheaper, easier to modify, and more accurate. A 6.5 Grendel AR is even better. M1As are finicky on accuracy modifications unless you get an expensive chassis and hard to mount optics on (chinweld).
    #RESIST

The first rifle I shot expert on after getting commissioned in 1986 was an M14. Back when I shot Hi-Power, I had a lot of match grade McMillan stocked M1A's, both iron sighted and with optics (they were heavy beasts)--I have sold all of them.

M1 rifles tended to be more reliable than M14/M1A's.

The safety on an M14/M1A is MOST definitely an issue in a LE setting, especially for entries/CQB--in fact, it pretty much makes it a non-starter.

I've seen more M1A and M14 clones break recently than I care to contemplate--particularly the SA M1A SOCOM's; I've NEVER seen a SA 16" SOCOM16 successfully complete a multi-day carbine class. If you do decide to get an M1A/M14 clone, make sure you send it to someone like Smith Enterprise or Fulton to have all the current manufactured poor quality parts replaced.

If you have no other options, M1A's work OK as simple, rugged iron sighted rifles of limited long term accuracy potential. For mounting optics or any other precision role, there are far better choices, although the Ultimak mount works OK for an Aimpoint.

The M1A/M14 leaves much to be desired for LE use--it is time to let it retire to the land of myth and lore.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

if the concern is potential coming bans, it still retains a detachable box mag; yes, you can go with a ten rounder, but why? Are there no 10 round magazines for AR10 clones?

It also retains the weakest feature of the M1 Garand, the external operating rod with all kinds of odd bends to it. (See also: Overrated guns of history: the M1 Garand – Gun Nuts Media)

Mind you, the first firearm I purchased was an M1 Garand, and I love it, but unless you have a specific role or niche you are looking to fill, or are just looking to fill out your collection of US Martial rifles, I don't see the point.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

How does the M1A compare to the M1 internally? My M1 is a fun historical piece but next to an AR-15 there's no comparison, it's a heavy and comparatively complex and finnicky rifle.

I say compare a lot.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List