Thread: Things I learned today at the range...

Things I learned today at the range...

I haven't taken any of my .308 guns to the range for while. Today I took my old custom Remington PSS, PTR-91GI-R, and my Tikka T3x Lite. I was shooting steel from 147 yds to 815 yds. I tried to shoot out farther but my rangefinder (and probably my rifle and me) couldn't reach out that far. Some things I learned:

1. I should probably get formal instruction on how to shoot a rifle. I know my form and handling could be a lot better. Who am I kidding, everything could be better.
    2. Don't shoot prone while carrying AIWB. It was okay until hour 4 of shooting. I just had to take it off.
    3. I never really used my spotting scope (Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 mm) at all. I just needed my Swarovski 8x40 binoculars to see everything.
    4. I think I need a new rangefinder. My old Leica LR900 works but past its 900 yd range it would not spit any numbers out. This was true with smaller IPSC steel and the distant mirage. Some shots were 30 degrees up or down and it does not calculate for this. Switching from binoculars to the rangefinder was kinda annoying (I shot alone, no spotter). Maybe it's time to get one of those bino-RF combos.
    5. The MidwayUSA shooting mat is a great deal for the price.
    6. I need to look into one of those Atlas bipods. The Harris is okay but I wish I could turret the rifle without moving the legs.
    7. The PTR-91GI (G3) is not a fun gun to shoot. It is heavy. The trigger is heavy (>10 lbs). It launches brass 10 yards away. It kicks a lot. Shooting off-hand was tough (maybe I'm just wimpy). How the hell those Germans were expected to fight with this is a mystery to me. My 16 inch FAL is much easier to shoot. Maximum range from me with this gun was about 350 yards sitting.
    8. It is pretty hard to hit a RC airplane with a shotgun. A guy a couple of platforms away was hosting a party of shooters. They were on line over looking a small gorge and he was fly a flat bottomed airplane in a constant loop. As it flew by with its bottom facing the shooters about 40 yds away, they would blast at it. It think the hit rate was less than 25%. It looked fun though.
    9. The Tikka is a great rifle. It was handy, accurate and the trigger was nice. From 0-500 yards was no problem for it. The Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 mm scope was okay. The rangefinding reticle worked but clarity was could have been better. But hey, it's a $300 scope. In retrospect, I should have gotten the 6.5 CM. This was my "Scout Rifle" and shooting .308 in such a light rifle got annoying after a while.

Name:  IMG_20180415_114828375.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20180415_114939510_HDR.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  85.8 KB

By the way, this was the outfit running those aerial target drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I haven't taken any of my .308 guns to the range for while. Today I took my old custom Remington PSS, PTR-91GI-R, and my Tikka T3x Lite. I was shooting steel from 147 yds to 815 yds. I tried to shoot out farther but my rangefinder (and probably my rifle and me) couldn't reach out that far. Some things I learned:

1. I should probably get formal instruction on how to shoot a rifle. I know my form and handling could be a lot better. Who am I kidding, everything could be better.
    2. Don't shoot prone while carrying AIWB. It was okay until hour 4 of shooting. I just had to take it off.
    3. I never really used my spotting scope (Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 mm) at all. I just needed my Swarovski 8x40 binoculars to see everything.
    4. I think I need a new rangefinder. My old Leica LR900 works but past its 900 yd range it would not spit any numbers out. This was true with smaller IPSC steel and the distant mirage. Some shots were 30 degrees up or down and it does not calculate for this. Switching from binoculars to the rangefinder was kinda annoying (I shot alone, no spotter). Maybe it's time to get one of those bino-RF combos.
    5. The MidwayUSA shooting mat is a great deal for the price.
    6. I need to look into one of those Atlas bipods. The Harris is okay but I wish I could turret the rifle without moving the legs.
    7. The PTR-91GI (G3) is not a fun gun to shoot. It is heavy. The trigger is heavy (>10 lbs). It launches brass 10 yards away. It kicks a lot. Shooting off-hand was tough (maybe I'm just wimpy). How the hell those Germans were expected to fight with this is a mystery to me. My 16 inch FAL is much easier to shoot. Maximum range from me with this gun was about 350 yards sitting.
    8. It is pretty hard to hit a RC airplane with a shotgun. A guy a couple of platforms away was hosting a party of shooters. They were on line over looking a small gorge and he was fly a flat bottomed airplane in a constant loop. As it flew by with its bottom facing the shooters about 40 yds away, they would blast at it. It think the hit rate was less than 25%. It looked fun though.
    9. The Tikka is a great rifle. It was handy, accurate and the trigger was nice. From 0-500 yards was no problem for it. The Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 mm scope was okay. The rangefinding reticle worked but clarity was could have been better. But hey, it's a $300 scope. In retrospect, I should have gotten the 6.5 CM. This was my "Scout Rifle" and shooting .308 in such a light rifle got annoying after a while.

Name:  IMG_20180415_114828375.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20180415_114939510_HDR.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  85.8 KB
    Good points! Concealed carry in general doesn't work with precision shooting because no matter what you end up modifying your position around the gun. An OWB string side holster is the only way I can carry and not have the handgun affect my shooting.

Brass ejected from a G3 is an anti-personnel weapon in it's own right. I'd hate to get hit with it!

User Tag List