Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. “Gunny”

RIP, Gunny.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

You didn't have to be a Marine to recognize the greatness in The Gunny. I never met him, but he was a hell of an icon for the military, and the Marine Corps in particular.

Rest in peace.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    RIP, Gunny.

Is/was Gunny left handed?
    What a great clip to watch first thing in the morning, before coffee mind you; otherwise said coffee would have been all over the laptop.
    eta: guessing he wasn't, even though he raised his left. I see the watch on the left now.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 04-16-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I had the pleasure of being around him during a couple of GSSF matches and he was the nicest guy you could imagine and gave everyone who interacted with him great consideration and humor.

RIP
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I always loved this:

His role in Se7en was minimal, but memorable. Dude could act.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Fair winds and following seas, Gunny. R.I.P.

I recall talking with him at SHOT several years ago. I commented on how great he was in Saving Silverman and how he should do more comedies. He said that he tries to work in some comedic elements on Mail Call. He said that The History Channel wasn't too keen on that at first. He said they told him "Mr. Ermey, this is THE HISTORY CHANNEL, not Comedy Central". He told me that he told them "If you want it all straight and serious, get goddamned Ollie North to host it".

Rosco

He was pretty awesome in Saving Silverman.

Site Supporter
    He was an inspiration to me, particularly in my own career as an NCO. He always demonstrated how to strike the balance between hard-ass, compassion, and light-heartedness and that's a tough thing to explain to a lot of folks these days.

Til Valhalla, Gunny. RIP.

Site Supporter
    One of my favorites:

The Gunny was saying to the Lieutenant one day. “You know, I know everyone there is to know. Just name someone, anyone, and I know them.”
    Not believing him, the Lieutenant called his bluff. “Okay, Gunny, how about Tom Cruise?”

“Sure, yes, Tom and I are old friends and I can prove it.” So they fly out to Hollywood and knock on Tom Cruise's door and sure enough, Tom Cruise, shouts, “Gunny! Great to see you! You and your friend come right in and join me for lunch!” Although impressed, the Lieutenant is still skeptical. After they leave Cruise's house, the Lieutenant tells The Gunny that he thinks his knowing Cruise was just lucky. “No, no, just name anyone else,” The Gunny says.

“President Trump.” The Lieutenant quickly retorts. “Yep I know him, let's fly out to Washington.” So, off they go. At the White House, President Trump spots them on the tour and motions them over, saying, “Gunny, what a surprise. I was just on my way to a meeting, but you and that Lieutenant come on in and let's catch up.”

Well, the Lieutenant is much shaken by now, but still not totally convinced. After they leave the White House grounds, he expresses his doubts to The Gunny, who again implores him to name anyone else. “The Pope.” The Lieutenant replies. “Sure, I've known the Pope a long time.”

So, off they fly to Rome. They're assembled with the masses in Vatican Square when The Gunny says, “This will never work. I can't catch the Pope's eye among all these people. Tell you what, I know all the guards, so let me just go upstairs and I'll come out on the balcony with the Pope.”

He disappears into the crowd headed toward St. Peter's. Sure enough, half an hour later, The Gunny emerges with the Pope on the balcony.

By the time he returns, he finds that the Lieutenant has had a heart attack and is surrounded by paramedics. Working his way to his side, The Gunny asks the Lieutenant, “What happened?” The Lieutenant looks up and says, “I was doing fine until you and The Pope came out on the balcony and the tourist next to me asked, who’s that on the balcony next to The Gunny?”

User Tag List