Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad situation in Las Vegas...

Bad situation in Las Vegas...

I don't know how to begin commenting on this...too little information.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/video-shows...138901274.html
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Point of Information: at the beginning of the recording, the officer approaches the vehicle with, and maintains, a Weaver stance.

On a more serious note.

what. the. frak.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I don't know how to begin commenting on this...too little information.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/video-shows...138901274.html
    5 guys piled on one, yelling 'Stop resisting, motherfucker' as another kicks him in the face? That's enough information for me...

Multiple kicks to the face was excessive force for what was at worst passive resistance.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Just for clarification the thread title should be changed to Henderson, NV. The officers involved were from HPD and NHP, not LV Metro, although it doesn't change the actions of the officers involved.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    "Henderson police said a sergeant involved was disciplined. The sergeant remains employed with the department."

Oh yes what a delightful use of taxpayer's funds: keeping a psychopath on city payroll.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Any of you guys ever dealt with somebody who has gone into a hypoglycemic state? I have on multiple occasions. The symptoms can range from an almost catatonic state to behaving like a raging drunk. I was in a class several years ago where one of my classmates had gotten his insulin dosage wrong and he fell off his chair in the middle of a lecture. I went over to him and checked the ABC's and they were there, but he was non-responsive and semi-conscious. A friend of his in the class mentioned he was diabetic.

When the paramedics got there they tried to get some glucose into him and that's when the fight started. He got violent as hell, screamed unintelligibly, and ended up headbutting me in the face. It hurt, and it opened my nose like a faucet. With four of us on him we finally managed to get the tube of glucose into his mouth and not too long after that they managed to get an IV into him and get him back to normal.

Police are many things...but omniscient isn't one of them. When they're dealing with somebody who is uncooperative they could be uncooperative for any number of reasons that the officer can't determine when dealing with a dude who is in control of a ton + of angry steel.

If they had cause to take the guy into custody...and they did by the sound of it...then they had cause to use some level of force to accomplish it. It sounds to me like they had no idea what the heck was going on with the guy until they found the insulin, and that was only after they'd managed to wrangle him into custody. Then they sought to get him the appropriate help. The kicks were probably out of line, but remember that at the time they don't know why this guy is resisting.

The kicks were clearly of malicious intent.
    #RESIST

I have dealt with diabetics at various levels of responsiveness, and folks with seizure disorders. They can be combative, and it can certainly feel like a fight even when you know there's a medical issue.(picture three medics rolling around on the floor with the patient yelling "Sir! Please calm down! we're trying to (OW!) help!) It is hard not to get angry and fight back.

But I've never seen kicking taught as a restraint or compliance technique.

I know police work is very different than EMS, but with the numbers they had available our protocol for restraint would be one person on each limb and one for the head.

Couldn't see the video. Wouldn't work on my iPad. Anyway, ironic that one of the (if not THE) cardinal use of force cases decided by SCOTUS dealt with a diabetic. Graham v. Connor. I am not surprised they settled, from what the article said and what apparently was in the video. They (Defendants, not plaintiffs) would have lost had it gone anywhere.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List