Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk grips....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Okay, now I'm digging around the Nills site.

Everyone who bothers to read this thread should download the catalog and geek out on it. Cool and interesting stuff inside.

I noted they can get permission from the EU to make grips out of ivory, but exporting them to the US is not possible.

Their catalog states:
    Heckler & Koch P30
    One main criteria for the development of the successful Heckler & Koch P30 was to invent
    an ergonomic grip to fit many shooters hands. Due to his knowledge Wilfried Nill was
    significantly involved to this project giving the P30 an optimal ergonomic grip concept.
    The same page shows an old P210-like pistol with Nills' personal grips, apparently, which seem to be the prototype for the P210 American pistol. Interesting.

The more of his designs I look at, the more obvious is the connection to H&K's "Spiderman" grip concept. I'm more of a USP guy. Just to blue sky a little bit, I wonder whether the differences in competitive shooting disciplines popular in Europe vs. the US, and the way that people like GJM train with their pistols, is a significant contributor to the variations in form that we see. "Mission drives the gear train."

I'm also realizing that the Hogue NFG grip for the GP100 has a lot of Nills influence, and remembering that removing the Nills-like hump from the backstrap of my GP100's rubber grip was the single biggest improvement I made to it. Night and day with a very small change that most people wouldn't even immediately visually notice.

More and more, I'm headed toward starting to make my own from scratch.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If they made them with a filled in wraparound backstrap like this, I'd spend the money with a quickness.

Attachment 25483
    You mean like Fuzzy Farants.....yea, those old LAPD guys knew something about stocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I just subscribed to this thread, in the hope pf learning something new. Up to the mid-Nineties, I never found anything that actually works better, for me, than the Uncle Mike’s rubber Boot Grips, for squared-K-Frames, and I have tried quite a few. (By the end of the century, I was using all-Ruger for any DA revolver larger than J-Snub, with any cartridge larger than .22 LR.)

I have a set of hand-made BluMagnum stocks, made in a Roper-like style, but I have not installed them on a weapon, because they are round-to-square conversion, and I have yet to obtain a suitable-configuration weapon. (I shoot square-grip-frame K-Frames better than the rounded ones.)

I have a set of relatively early non-custom Ahrends, bought from Brownells, for K-Frame square, that I like on my Model 17-4, but hurt when used on my Model 19, with any Magnum load, no matter how mild.

One of my problems is that I tried to make N-Frames work for me, for so long, even though my hands are not large enough for N-Frames, unless the grip/stock panels are cut VERY thin, which lets powerful big-bore recoil make hash of my hand. So, most of my grip/stock experimentation was doomed to fail.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Rex, I have the same problem, N Frame Square butts too large for my hand to get optimum performance with DA work. Purchased a Model 69 4.2" in 2014 in 44 Magnum and it is a sweetheart to shoot in either configuration. K/L Frame grip dimensions and 44 capability. Looking for a reasonably priced 69 2.75" model now.

Last edited by Zeke38; 04-17-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add photo

Craig Spegel
    Name:  6E96592B-2445-489F-9E8E-10FC1D562D05.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  57.8 KB

A big secret to all of this is like sights, grips are very personal, and they can change over time. For me, he hard plastic Rogers are my go to working gun grips. Once I started buying older guns and getting era specific stocks for them, I found out how smart the old stock makers were and knew how important individual fit is. It is one of those big revolver benefits. A lot of the stocks were also fit for single hand shooting and I think some of that translated well to the street for getting hits because the guns set up well right from the holster.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Once I started buying older guns and getting era specific stocks for them, I found out how smart the old stock makers were and knew how important individual fit is.
    As a technologist, this is something I'm painfully aware of in our economy - the loss of hard-won knowledge. Profitability does not always lead to technical excellence.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I have VZ 320s https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/smi...d-bottoms/320s on my S&W round butt K frames. A knife-maker friend used a belt grinder to eliminate the finger grooves. These work well for me. Best, ELN.

Name:  S&W 66 w VZ Grips.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  S&W 66 w Modified VZ Grips.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  100.0 KB

Site Supporter
    I just ordered the Nills for a recently acquired 13-3 3 inch barreled k frame I just picked up. Will post up some pics when they get here.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    As I mentioned here, I bought a set of the Thai combat grips from eBay ("jaruwan" was the seller?) They seem nice. Shot pretty well, too.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List