Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk grips....

Let's talk grips....

I'm on the hunt for stocks on my 2.5" Model 19 that's due back from Robar in June. At this point I'm down to the Pachmayr Compacs (which are also on my other 2.5" 19-5), Karl Nill SW039, or a set of ALTAI grips from Altamont Company. The Pachmayr's are a known quality to me, but wood looks really nice. The Karl Nills look the most aesthetically pleasing but have finger grooves and are crazy expensive compared to the Altamonts. Whatever I get, they'll be fitted to the Combat Magnum with a matte black frame/barrel and NP3 cylinder. As you might have noticed from these 3 choices, I'm looking for something functional but compact in-between full size grips and boot grips, and I tend to dislike finger grooves because they are uncomfortable pressure points if they don't like up perfectly with my hands, which given the odds and vast differences between peoples' hands and gripping styles, they probably wont.

Thoughts on these particular choices? I didn't see anything from Ahrend or Hogue that caught my eye, not to mention Ahrend's ordering process apparently hasn't advanced to the 21st century.

What are your favorite grips, and why? I see that smooth grips are fairly popular, which strikes me as odd because I would think they'd be slippery. My prior 4" 19-4 had smoothed out coke bottles, which were very pretty but also slippery when I started sweating.

I searched but didn't see a general revolver stocks thread, so let's go ahead and open this up to anything about grips for any revolver....
    Last edited by TGS; 04-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I found a world of difference to the good when I replaced the old 'splinter' grips on my Model 36 with Uncle Mike's Boot grips.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

If you don't care for finger grooves, check out the Retro Banana and the Concealed Carry Boot Grip from Ahrends. High quality and reasonably priced.

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Sounds like you should at least take a look at Jerry's grips:

http://miculek.com/product-category/grips/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAxbrWYlJuI

(I know how to embed the video, but thought I'd see if using just the link keeps Google from demonetizing this thread and killing it in search results.)

Seeing how it mates up to the square butt, it may be a little longer than you want. He explains that they are the size they are so the K and N frame grips will be the same.

I have pretty big hands. The Pachmayr Presentation I tuned up for a square butt K is shorter than that and gives me all I need for three fingers on the front strap. I'd be interested in a "concealable" variant of the Herrett Custom Shooting Master or Jordan Trooper.

What to do about rubber grips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cVujoRccnk
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I really like Ahrends retro bananna grip for a round butt snubby.

Nill’s
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    The Nills or Herretts.

I’m fond of the Herret shooting star stocks with checkering.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/cshtstar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I really like Ahrends retro bananna grip for a round butt snubby.
    How secure are they in your hand given they have a smooth finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Nill’s
    Anything in particular you enjoy about the Nills over other grips?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I never had any slippage with the smooth grips.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If they made them with a filled in wraparound backstrap like this, I'd spend the money with a quickness.

Name:  DB's Nills mod.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  47.0 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List