Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk grips....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    For me, he hard plastic Rogers are my go to working gun grips.
    Isn't there some technique for rubbing some catalyst on the Rogers and then gripping them (hand in a nitrile glove) for a little bit that does a reasonable job of turning them into grips that fit one's hand?

I can't recall where I saw that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    As I mentioned here, I bought a set of the Thai combat grips from eBay ("jaruwan" was the seller?) They seem nice. Shot pretty well, too.
    They are a little proud at the top.

I might sand it down and finish it with something.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Caseys True Oil is usually a workable finish on grips. Last coat can be gloss or not.

Isn't there some technique for rubbing some catalyst on the Rogers and then gripping them (hand in a nitrile glove) for a little bit that does a reasonable job of turning them into grips that fit one's hand?

I can't recall where I saw that.
    Don’t know about adherence to plastic but I used JB Weld putty on some Hogue wood grips I got as seconds off their website store.

After I got them shaped I painted them with the regular JB Weld thinned with acetone and coated them with silicon carbide grit. Then a couple coats of black duracoat.

This was for competition guns only, you really really don’t want to carry with that grit unless your wardrobe budget is huge. But I suspect the epoxy putty would work just fine on plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried BluMagnum's grips?

Boiled linseed oil works great. I usually apply it with my finger. You can shape the grips as needed then rub on a little linseed oil till it matches. It will soak in till it fills the wood grain, then let it dry overnight and repeat as necessary. The Thai grips look like they have an oil finish.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Heard nothing but good things, but never held them. I find most of the Jordan Style Trooper grips to be too big for me.

On the Rogers...never heard of the catalyst thing. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, but in my time with them since the mid 80’s using them, selling them, and spending a lot of time at Safariland, never heard of it. I ll see if GJM can call Bill and find out.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

For those prices, I'd take a look at John Culina's grips. I have a half-dozen or so of John's grips in both walnut and micarta and the workmanship is flawless. And his communication via email is fast and thorough--practices many gripmakers have not yet embraced.

This didn't feel like it deserved a new thread, but I'd just like to say how impressed I am with herrett's customer service. I picked up a set of older shooting stars in a box of stuff at an estate sale, and they were missing a ferrule. I called them up to see if I could buy one, and they sent a set of both ferrules and another screw for free, even though they're an old style that's out of production.

Nill-Griffe always gets my vote.

Name:  hvxI3fxl.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  40.6 KB
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

User Tag List