Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Pileated peckers are amazing. Huge bird. The flickers peck holes in our siding and hammer the gutters. I figure that’s a small price to pay for being close to nature.
    I had to have hardware cloth fit into the ends of our gutters to keep the titmice, phoebes and friends out of them. (They have leaf guards over the main sections.) Otherwise they'll try to build nests in there and screw up the downspouts. Mostly the phoebes try to build nests under the deck. We have a cardinal getting ready to build a nest in a bush right outside a window. My wife loves watching them and the hatchlings annually.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post

What species? They are usually pretty spot-on when looking for food so I would examine a probable food source.
    A friend had a woodpecker that was pecking on her house because the noise a clock made through the wall sounded like insects to it. She moved the clock and it solved the problem.

Pretty sure it's a flicker. Only does it in the am a few times and flys away when I walk out. I think it's a mating thing. I'll try the owl pics on my window and see I'd that helps. Maybe I'll get some food to put out and see if that keeps them off the house.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We have flickers here that hammer on the rain gutters and chimney caps. I am also guessing it is part of a mating ritual as it is much worse in the spring around here. Just making noise to score a babe...

Seems to be prevalent at daybreak on Sundays.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 04-15-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    We have flickers here that hammer on the rain gutters and chimney caps. I am also guessing it is part of a mating ritual as it is much worse in the spring around here. Just making noise to score a babe...
    Pretty much like all of us.

Seems to be prevalent at daybreak on Sundays.
    Is he dressed in his Sunday-go-to-meeting suet?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Tough to say for sure. I am usually too blinded by rage to tell. Lol.

hahah, I laughed out loud about the suet. I think my mode will be to feed the bastards, I love the bird, they are HUGE and are beautiful. I'll just keep an eye out for damage to repair as necessary. The biggest PITA is that they do it when I want to sleep... Saw two of them foraging in my yard today.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Pileated peckers are amazing. Huge bird. The flickers peck holes in our siding and hammer the gutters. I figure that’s a small price to pay for being close to nature.
    I’ll never forget the first time I saw one in the woods. Truly amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That deserves a maniacal laugh!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    We used to refer to the inmate cemetery in Huntsville as the peckerwood cemetery. Oddly, it was formally named after the last "state electrician" who so ably operated the electric chair.

User Tag List