Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diagnostic help: PX4 trigger drag in single action

Diagnostic help: PX4 trigger drag in single action

Howdy, all:

Just picked up the Compact today. Happy to have it and to begin squaring it away.

I hope some of you could help answer a question. I noticed (what is for me) a strange, gritty "drag" or "rub" on the initial SA takeup. Below are some short videos of the phenomenon.

With the slide off, it seems to have something to do with the trigger bar, the trigger bar spring, and the frame.

Normal?

I suppose this could be right as rain, but it seems a little oddball to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    Howdy, all:

Just picked up the Compact today. Happy to have it and to begin squaring it away.

I hope some of you could help answer a question. I noticed (what is for me) a strange, gritty "drag" or "rub" on the initial SA takeup. Below are some short videos of the phenomenon.

With the slide off, it seems to have something to do with the trigger bar, the trigger bar spring, and the frame.

Normal?

I suppose this could be right as rain, but it seems a little oddball to me...

Not normal. Your trigger bar is getting stuck and should not be down. This can happen more after cycling the slide, which pushes the trigger bar down.

You might try lubricating by the method mentioned in https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page13 post #124. If this is not enough, other avenues of trigger bar stuck could be explored, such as sticking on the hammer pin spring. Might give this a try first.

You might also drop oil on the trigger to trigger bar connection.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 04-14-2018 at 04:24 PM.

I just tested our PX4 Compact to duplicate your issue. It has 12,000 rounds on it and is currently quite dirty. I could not duplicate the problem. The trigger bar never lowered, as your did.

Also, I would suggest checking that the trigger bar spring is securely in its slot https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page3 post #21 Sometimes during cleaning it can pop out.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 04-14-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Just a WAG: Did you perform a full cleaning before trying the pistol? The protective liquid that Beretta applies before shipping is somewhat sticky and can cause malfunctions. A little bit of scrubbing with a good solvent and some lubricant are definitely required for any NIB Beretta.

Normal. My PX4CC and full size both do that. Unless you push the trigger forward or start to shoot in SA after racking the slide you would never feel this. I messed around with mine after I first got it and while annoying I've never noticed when shooting, which is what really matters.

Site Supporter
    My PX4C does that too. I was curious about it, but I'm not convinced it's a problem.

Is the pin for the trigger, completely through both sides, with both legs of the trigger spring behind the trigger? (two separate things, same sentence)
    Is the trigger bar spring, behind the trigger bar, between it and the frame? (it looks like it moves more then mine, as it did when I had it rubbing once)

I've had to mess with the trigger pin before and on the advice/paste performance of another forum, I turned the pin around, which made me wonder if it is really one size or slightly tapered. This was for a sticky trigger.
    Last edited by beenalongtime; 04-14-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks for the thoughts, fellas. So far "Normal" is ahead 2-1. Paging Ernest @LangdonTactical!

The gun has been cleaned but has not been detail stripped. (Have to get some punches.) Alas, none of the cleaning suggestions above worked.

I did shoot a few more seconds of video.

Clearly the aft end of the trigger bar stays above the level of the frame throughout the DA pull.

It then is driven down below the level of the frame (emitting the grating squeak) as the hammer is cocked for SA. (And squeaks again as it comes back above.)

In this wider shot (so you can see the trigger) I repeated the squeak an extra few times for emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Is the pin for the trigger, completely through both sides, with both legs of the trigger spring behind the trigger? (two separate things, same sentence)
    Think I'm good on this. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Is the trigger bar spring, behind the trigger bar, between it and the frame? (it looks like it moves more then mine, as it did when I had it rubbing once)
    Not so sure here. I've taken the tension off it and put it back twice, but I don't have much control (or visibility) when it goes back under the bar, so it could be going back to the same (wrong) place.

User Tag List