Thread: P99c sight advice

P99c sight advice

I have 1000 rounds through a P99c AS that I'm considering carrying but about 20% of my shots hit 3" high at 10yd from my tipping the muzzle up just as the trigger breaks. If I concentrate and slow-fire I can overcome this but it returns whenever I fire at 'realistic' speeds. I suspect the sight picture may be my problem. The rear notch is shallow enough to "occlude" part of the front dot when the sight tops are level, like this:

Name:  Sight_Image.png
Views: 338
Size:  2.4 KB

I suspect my brain wants to move the front sight up to align 3 full circles, ruining the shot. Is this a training issue or should I change the sights? Or am I overthinking it?

A really good reason to change the factory sights is the rear is held on by a small pin. I have two compacts, and one has Dawson and the other TFX Pro sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

and....if you don't mind my asking, which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    and....if you don't mind my asking, which do you prefer?
    Still deciding. The TFX Pro sights are big and gaudy, but more visible in certain situations. Dawson rear and front is lower profile, better for accuracy work, but the rear is prone to rust and they have less light versatility.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I changed all the sights on all three P99's to the 10-8 fibers. They are a U notch rear, and took a bit of practice to get acquainted, but they are very fast for target acqisition, and work well for me when I drive the dot.

http://www.10-8performance.com/walther-ppq-rear-sight/

http://www.10-8performance.com/walther-ppq-front-sight/

There's some fitting required for the rear sight, but it's fairly straight forward, and takes about 30-40 minutes of your patience.

So far on the compact, they are showing the same accuracy as the full size 99. I use the .140 rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I also have a P99 AS compact. Excellent handgun, but I did change the sights.

I had previously installed Dawsons with a fiber optic front sight on my PPQ classic. They are just OK and for me the front fiber optic is too small. The rear also did require a good bit of fitting. I will eventually replace them with something I like better, but not right now.

So when I bought a set of sights for the P99c I bought Trijicon HDs with the bright orange front sight. It is excellent and was easy to install. For a self-defense gun the size of the P99c the big orange front sight is about perfect for me. The only downside to the Trijicon is that the rear sight has square sharp sides which are a bit of an annoyance. They do shoot dead on for me at 10 yards using my preferred #2 sight picture.

For my most favorite all around replacement sights I like the Truglo TFOs. I have them on all five of my Glocks. The are a combination of fiber optic and tritium. The big green or yellow dots stand out brightly at night and brightly during the day as well. Many night sights are good at night but much less good during the day. TFOs are excellent day and night.

OP, good luck with your choice. Lots of good replacement sights out there to choose from. Enjoy you P99 compact in good health.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Have you thought about using a small file to make the notch deeper, i.e. allowing the entire center dot to be visible?

Dave
    ----
    PPQ 9mm M1, PPQ 9mm M1 5", PPQ 45, P99c 9mm

Some excellent advice in here, thanks very much! I hadn't thought of filing the rear but I'd rather replace the sights.

Do you all notice sights with different colors being faster to pick up? I think my dominant eye isn't quite dominant enough and when practicing with 3-identical-dots, I'll occasionally get "crossed up" for a moment. Happens with other guns too.

I wish it was easy to rent a whole bunch of sights to try, eh?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...but the rear is prone to rust and they have less light versatility.
    EEZOX for everything that may rust. I also use it as a CLP on my PCCs. Much easier to clean. Slowly changing over all my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Some excellent advice in here, thanks very much! I hadn't thought of filing the rear but I'd rather replace the sights.

Do you all notice sights with different colors being faster to pick up? I think my dominant eye isn't quite dominant enough and when practicing with 3-identical-dots, I'll occasionally get "crossed up" for a moment. Happens with other guns too.

I wish it was easy to rent a whole bunch of sights to try, eh?
    I used three dot, when all there was, was 3 dot.
    The 10-8 setup really pops for me when I use the supplied green fiber.
    The red fiber has always flared with my eyes.

Much faster than traditional 3 dot.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List