Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newhall Incident Anniversary

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    That book and the old "Steet Survival" series are as tactically sound today as when they were written, minus, of course case law that came into effect after publication.
    Street Survival was the first book I read when I got hired.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Street Survival was the first book I read when I got hired.
    Same here. I was at a Caliber Press event last fall and they said there should be an updated Street Survival book release this summer

Newhall Incident Anniversary

Deleted duplicate
    Last edited by BobM; 05-31-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Just ordered both books. Another event I used in teaching and on patrol. Forget the past and at some point it will be relived. I have amassed a large collection of old shooting/gunfighting texts. I scour used bookshops and the internet for first editions, as I like the old book look and smell. It is astounding at how many of todays "revolutionary" or "cutting edge" techniques are in books that are going on 70 years or more.
    When still at my old agency, I would break out my copy of "Officer Down, Code 3" from motorola ( anybody have a link to the video? I cant seem to find one). That book and the old "Steet Survival" series are as tactically sound today as when they were written, minus, of course case law that came into effect after publication.
    Training is cyclic, like most other things. Techniques are introduced, then forgotten and rediscovered. Many of the supposedly new highspeed techniques that are being branded as revolutionary by that ex-special operations operator type instructor are anything but. Example: the support hand forward on the handguard, in C-clamp fashion actually dates from the early 20th century. It was taught as an early form of CQB technique with the 1903 Springfield, circa 1907.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I read "Officer Down! Code 3!" when I was in college. And "Police Tactics in Hazardous Situations" which was produced in cooperation with the San Diego PD.

"Street Survival" came out in the spring of 1980, just before I graduated college. I ordered my first edition after seeing an ad for it in "Police Marksman" Magazine. Back when they were storing the books in Chuck Remsberg's garage or basement or something.

(I miss "Police Marksman".)

I just got Ed Mirales' book on the FBI Miami Shootout of 1986 but I haven't read it yet.

The Newhall Incident of 1970 was something that was discussed a lot when I was in the police academy (1981) and I have both of the recent books on the incident.

Motorola Teleprograms produced a whole bunch of neat police training movies in the late 1970s. I wish somebody would bring those out on DVD.
    Last edited by Jeff22; 06-15-2018 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I read "Officer Down! Code 3!" when I was in college. And "Police Tactics in Hazardous Situations" which was produced in cooperation with the San Diego PD.

"Street Survival" came out in the spring of 1980, just before I graduated college. I ordered my first edition after seeing an ad for it in "Police Marksman" Magazine. Back when they were storing the books in Chuck Remsberg's garage or basement or something.

(I miss "Police Marksman".)

I just got Ed Mirales' book on the FBI Miami Shootout of 1986 but I haven't read it yet.

The Newhall Incident of 1970 was something that was discussed a lot when I was in the police academy (1981) and I have both of the recent books on the incident.

Motorola Teleprograms produced a whole bunch of neat police training movies in the late 1970s. I wish somebody would bring those out on DVD.
    I remember "Street Survival" getting a lot of play at FLETC in 1983. References may have been made to other books and depicted incidents but mostly I came upon those on my own.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I remember "Street Survival" getting a lot of play at FLETC in 1983. References may have been made to other books and depicted incidents but mostly I came upon those on my own.
    I got my first copy as a cadet in approx ‘90, and internalized it. Mutton cops, bell bottom uniform slacks, and campaign hats aside, there is still some good info in that book. If a patrolman memorized and actioned that book verbatim, they’d still be in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Street Survival was the first "professional" book I read after I switched to LE from .mil - and I still pull it off the shelf and re-read it every now and then...

Just ordered both books. Another event I used in teaching and on patrol. Forget the past and at some point it will be relived. I have amassed a large collection of old shooting/gunfighting texts. I scour used bookshops and the internet for first editions, as I like the old book look and smell. It is astounding at how many of todays "revolutionary" or "cutting edge" techniques are in books that are going on 70 years or more.
    When still at my old agency, I would break out my copy of "Officer Down, Code 3" from motorola ( anybody have a link to the video? I cant seem to find one). That book and the old "Steet Survival" series are as tactically sound today as when they were written, minus, of course case law that came into effect after publication.
    Calibre Press is re-writing Street Survival and will re=publish it this summer. CWM, a mutual friend of ours is discussing a redux of Officer Down using more current events. Both are worthy efforts imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Calibre Press is re-writing Street Survival and will re=publish it this summer. CWM, a mutual friend of ours is discussing a redux of Officer Down using more current events. Both are worthy efforts imo.
    I’d definitely be in for those. Copies for myself and the depart reference library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List