Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt O's Training Journal

June 12 - NRA Range

Managed to work a quick range trip in yesterday. I'm still getting used to shooting at an indoor range again, particularly with the noise and concussion. I also noticed I was fouling my draw on my shirt quite a bit yesterday which is something that does not routinely happen in dry fire. Not sure why that was happening, but it was killing my draw speed times when I caught my shirt, as well as my clean draws as it seemed to cause me to subconsciously slow my draw down.

92A1
    Slow fire: Did a bit of slow fire, shot several B8's with all targets between 90 and 95.
    FAST: 5.78, 5.79 and 5.93 (all clean). Slow draws and slow reloads are the areas to work on here. 3x5 card splits were all around 0.5-0.6 and body splits were about 0.22-0.25.
    Bill Drill: Only shot one, a 2.88, with a ludicrously slow draw because, surprise surprise, I caught my shirt.

Slow fire: Also shot about 85-95 with the 1911. I did a bit of experimenting with how much I could jerk the trigger and still hit the black at 25 yards.
    FAST: 6.38, 5.78 clean. Also shot an 11.12 (7.12 raw) by rushing and dropping both head shots after a fouled draw.

Overall I definitely noted some improvement over the last couple range sessions, though I've still got a lot of ground to cover. Specifically, I noticed improvement in my gripping strength in my support hand which definitely helps track the pistols better. With the 1911, I actually had the sensation of feeling the slide track through the entirety of its motion which was pretty interesting.

A bout of tendinitis, as well as a new addition to the family interrupted my best laid plans...yet again. Working on getting strength back in my left arm/hand with limited dry fire followed by rubber band reps to try to even out the strain.

8/10 Dry Fire Record

Beretta 92 (30 min)
    - Double alpha on 7 & 25 yard targets
    - Burkett reloads
    - Target transitions, including both 7 and 25 yard targets

1911 (15 min [hand/elbow started acting up])
    - Double alpha on 7 & 25 yard targets
    - Burkett reloads

8/11 Dry Fire Record

1911 from USPSA style rig (40 min)
    - Draws
    - Double alpha drill
    - Near/far transition drill

Notes:

- Reloads were hanging up on the lip of the mag - need to choke up on mags a bit more. Bringing pistol back in closer to the body improved reload success significantly.
    - Still need to work on grip acquisition during draw at speed - grip is sub-optimal approx. 20-30% of the time.
    - Need to respond faster with eyes in snapping to the next target on transitions. In addition, need to bring eyes to the actual A zone portion, not just the entire target itself as the latter seems to lead to sub-optimal "hits" during transitions.
    - Elbow/hand pain minimal with appropriate warm-up and rubber-band exercises.

8/12 Dry Fire Record

1911 from USPSA rig (20 min) from AIWB (20 min)
    - Same drills as 8/11

Beretta 92 from AIWB (20 min)
    - Same drills as 8/11

Notes:
    - I have missed practicing and keeping myself accountable with the journal is helping keep the dry fire motivation up.
    - Noticed some incremental improvements on my 1911 draw and grip acquisition.
    - Unfortunately I am not liking the new Wilson Combat beretta trigger bar as much as I thought. The trigger breaks a bit too far to the rear for my tastes - this is a small, but for some reason incredibly noticeable difference that I can't seem to get on board with as of yet.
    - Need to do some live fire to see where I'm at as far as grip strength and recoil management.

8/13 Dry Fire Record

1911 from USPSA rig (30 min)
    - Burkett reloads
    - Vice Presidente
    - Double alpha to head box at 7 and 25 yard targets

Beretta 92 from AIWB (30 min)
    - Slidelock reloads
    - Burkett reloads
    - Double alpha

Notes/Stream of Consciousness:
    - I switched back to the stock beretta trigger bar and barring some revelation that I didn't fit the WC trigger bar correctly, I will be sticking with this set up. I much prefer the fact that this trigger breaks a bit further forward, particularly as it makes weak hand shooting a bit easier for me.
    - My reloads have been really sloppy as compared with before I injured my arm/elbow, so that is remaining as a focus of my practice. More work here is still needed.
    - I'm still running into intermittent issues with my 1911 grip at speed where the support hand is a bit high and impedes my ability to fully disengage the thumb safety. This does not happen that often, but it's rather annoying so I need to figure out how to stop doing this. More work here is also needed.
    - In order to compensate for my potentially and hopefully temporarily impeded grip strength, I have been trying to follow SLG's recommendation of engaging my pecs in aiding grip pressure. I remember this tip from the mini training class in Culpeper a few years ago, but I've never really incorporated it into practice as it had always felt a bit strange. It's still not yet second nature, but I'm getting better at engaging those muscles as part of the draw stroke. Live fire testing will be needed to see if this works.
    - I do realize that I'd be better off by only shooting one of these two very different pistols, but frankly I just enjoy them both and right now it's the fun factor that is motivating me to practice.

8/15 Dry Fire Record

1911 from AIWB (25 min)
    - Mag retrieval
    - Slide lock reloads
    - USPSA reloads

Beretta 92 from AIWB (30 min)
    - Mag retrieval
    - Slide lock reloads
    - USPSA reloads

Notes:
    - Developed a swollen and split "glock" knuckle, so practice focused on reloads and support hand movement.
    - Still need to work on consistency of mag indexing and presentation, as well as visually focusing on mag well.
    - Due to the dearth of practice over the past year, my reloads appear to have atrophied far more than any other skill.

8/17 Dry Fire Record

1911 from AIWB (20 min)
    - Slide lock and USPSA speed reloads
    - Draw to lower/upper A at 7 yards
    - Draw to lower/upper A at 25 yards
    - Near/far transitions

Beretta 92 from AIWB (25 min)
    - Same as above

Notes:
    - Reloads definitely felt more natural, though whether it is because I was having a good night or there is actual improvement remains to be seen.
    - Need to start putting myself back on the timer, but also need to avoid aggravating arm.
    - Took some slow motion video - definitely spending too much time on target before breaking shot.

8/18 Dry Fire Record

Beretta 92 from AIWB (40 min)
    - Mag retrieval
    - Burkett reloads
    - Draw to sight picture on lower A at 10 yd
    - Draw to sight picture on upper A at 10 yd
    - Draw to shot on lower A at 10 yd

1911 Slow Fire (5 min)

Notes:
    - Broke out the timer for a bit, did an assessment of reload and draw speeds and then started working decreasing par times.
    - Lower A zone was down to 0.9 for sight picture which still felt slow so there's more juice to squeeze here.
    - Upper A zone was down to about 1.2 for sight picture which also felt like there was a lot of room for improvement.
    - Slidelock reload was like 2.3-2.4 seconds which was distressingly bad, so remaining practice consisted of working on speeding up mag retrieval and burkett reload indexing.

If my Google fu is working, a "Burkett" reload is normal reload minus actually sticking the mag in..? What is the benifit of this? What purpose does it serve that inserting it doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    If my Google fu is working, a "Burkett" reload is normal reload minus actually sticking the mag in..? What is the benifit of this? What purpose does it serve that inserting it doesn't?
    The focus is on quickly getting the mag out of the pouch, indexed properly in the hand and ready for insertion. It's essentially breaking down the first half of the reload process and only working that.