Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt O's Training Journal

Live Fire @ NRA - G17 AIWB

- B8's: Shot several of these, lowest was a 91.
    - FAST: Also shot 6 FAST runs, with only 2 being run clean. All times were around 4.5-4.6ish seconds (without factoring in penalties for non-clean runs) with the best clean run coming in at 4.46. The body shots were pretty scattered though as I wasn't jiving with the way the G17 was recoiling as compared with the 92. For now, I don't see 4.46 as an on demand capable time. Yet.

After getting the gadget in the mail this week I wanted to run the G17 through some live fire to see if the gains I had seen in dry fire were real. In general, I pushed speed over accuracy for all but the B8 slow fire to really try and tease out the max benefit the G17 might offer based on my current skill level. For draws and reloads, there definitely were advantages, with each being .10 to .20 faster than with the 92. In general the glock is much more forgiving of getting on the trigger later in the draw to shot process. That said, I really didn't like the feel/timing of the G17's recoil as compared with the 92. So I think the glock is going back in the safe for now and I'm sticking with my pizza blasters, even if I am slightly slower with them at the moment.

Though I shot glocks for several years before switching to other pistols, I'm pretty confident my time spent on a DA/SA platform has allowed me to pick up the G17 and just run it at a reasonable level. I don't think the opposite would be true, so shooting a DA/SA gun definitely seems to round out one's skills in a way that can be applied to other (similarly functioning) handguns.

30 minutes - Beretta AIWB

Did some post-bjj practice dry fire.

- Four Aces (2.5 sec)
    - Draw to 3x5 @ 7 (1.1 sec)
    - Speed reload (1.5 sec)
    - Slidelock reload (1.7 sec)

- Warm up reloads (untimed)
    - Four Aces (2.4 sec) - about 50% success with these, but I used to only be 50% at 2.5 sec, so progress is happening.

Light dry fire; left hand a bit sore for some reason. Ran usual drills at usual par times.

Did some light dry-fire (mostly un-timed and just trying to maintain trigger time) over the past couple days, but forgot to make journal entries.

- Four Aces warm-up
    - GM Test dry fire run (2 sec par time as per drill specs)
    - Speed reload (1.4 sec!!)

20 minutes - Beretta AIWB

Light dry fire as my support hand is feeling a bit pained and weak. Unsure if it is somehow strained. Will likely take a few days off to see how it feels.

1/5 20 minutes - Beretta AIWB

Took a day off to rest my hand, but felt bad not practicing, so got back at it yesterday evening.

- Draw to lower A @ 7 (1 sec, then 0.9, then 0.8)

Worked on making the draw a bit more J-shaped to get on the trigger earlier. This managed to shave a tenth or two off and was more or less repeatable.

Live Fire @ NRA - Beretta AIWB

It's been a couple weeks since my last live fire session, (which was with the G17), so about 3 weeks since I last shot the 92. I wanted to set a few benchmarks at the beginning of the year so that I can track my progress over the next 12 months. I will use these (and other recent) practice results to formulate specific goals for 2017.

In anticipation of hopefully being able to attend Gabe's class, and because I thought these are some good drills, I decided to run Gabe's standards for the first time. Being a bit apprehensive and also wanting to shoot these clean definitely made me slower. It also highlighted my need to speed up my draw and, more importantly, really dial in on recoil control.

Gabe White Standards
    - Bill Drill: 2.47 (1.19, 0.25, 0.26, 0.25, 0.27, 0.25) [+0.22 sec over Turbo Pin standard]
    - Failure to Stop: 1.99 (1.14, 0.27, 0.58) [+0.04 sec over Turbo Pin standard] - Really nailed the draw on this, but not sure this is representative yet.
    - Two to the Head: 1.88 (1.38, 0.50) [-0.37 sec under Turbo Pin standard]
    - 4 Body 2 Head: 3.02 (1.23, 0.24, 0.21, 0.21, 0.59, 0.54) [-0.17 sec over Turbo Pin standard]

Realizing the need to work on draws and recoil control, I did some D1 and bill drill practice. I also experimented with some slight adjustments to the grip using 5 shot strings on the timer to get a sense for what split value equaled what level of control. I was able to make .2 splits relatively controllable, but need to figure out how to hit this type of solid grip consistently from the draw. D1 @7 times after additional practice hovered consistently around 1.2 seconds, with some dropping down to 1.05-1.10, however, with reduced accuracy. I also noticed how poorly I do on properly acquiring the sights on fast draws and revert to an almost 100% target focus. This has worked thus far, but it feels less controlled and hampers shot calling.

Also ran some Fast drills that were all around 5ish seconds, so nothing spectacular. Support hand was somewhat sore at this point.

Shot one B8 at 25 which yielded a 92.

Did some dry fire on Sunday but forgot to record anything. For today's practice session...

60 minutes - Beretta AIWB

- Worked on a lot of draws to credit card and lower A zone
    - Made some adjustments to the grip that seem to result in better 360 degree clamping pressure. Need to test in live fire recoil control drills.
    - Burkett reloads as my reloads were getting sloppy again.
    - Deliberate focus on the magwell increases consistency of reloads significantly. Painted a white line to offer a point of focus.

20 minutes - Beretta AIWB

- Re-watched Practical Pistol Foundations, particularly the grip and sight tracking segments.
    - Worked on gripping the shit out of the gun, but this aggravates my tendinitis somewhat, so also had to go back to using the chest somewhat to add additional pressure.

User Tag List