Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New J frame purchase question

Olong I would like to see Hogue make that 3" grip for a 3" SP and the shorter Hogue for the 2.25 SP

Site Supporter
    Suitable grips go a long way in making J frames comfortable to shoot. Note, though, that as grip size increases ease of concealing can decrease. Also, rubber grips tend to drag on clothes. The person carrying a J frame has decided to give up capacity and power. In their place he gets a smaller and more easily concealed weapon. The key term is compromise. I write all this so I can advise people to learn to shoot the J and accept the fact that this wonderful contraption is an uncomfortable device that jumps when fired. Buy snap caps and practice in front of a mirror. The revolver will smooth up. With practice you will learn to accommodate the revolver and soon will notice that you no longer view it as uncomfortable or too loud or inaccurate. The little guns fit a niche. It should not be your only choice. Instead it complements the other handguns selected for defense.

I have a 642 -1 and really enjoy shooting it. However, I shoot 148gr wadcutter target loads as my carry ammo. My 642 is very accurate with this ammo and very comfortable to shoot with the S&W stock rubber grips.

I have shot it with Rem 130gr FMJ ammo and it did not shoot POA and recoil was not comfortable.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    How hard is it to find a 637 or 638 without a lock? I am interested in a J-Frame no lock, but while I carried a 642 in the past, I prefer a hammer to thumb.

I finally got some wadcutters, which I am ready to try in my 637. I have never shot them before.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How hard is it to find a 637 or 638 without a lock? I am interested in a J-Frame no lock, but while I carried a 642 in the past, I prefer a hammer to thumb.

I finally got some wadcutters, which I am ready to try in my 637. I have never shot them before.
    I might be wrong, but I don’t think s&W is making no-lock 638s. Makes me sad to think of all the model 38 Bodyguards that passes through my hands back in the Stone Age. Hands down my favorite J-frame ever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don’t think s&W is making no-lock 638s. Makes me sad to think of all the model 38 Bodyguards that passes through my hands back in the Stone Age. Hands down my favorite J-frame ever.
    See I thought this too, but either I am wrong or I have the worst search skills on earth.

User Tag List