Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal PD2564B 20 Ga. #4 Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I need to replace the front sight bead, I get so obsessed with "what is the correct thread" that I can't/won't just order two or three brass beads and see which one fits.
    Are you planning to screw a light pipe like fiber optic rod on it? You could probably go to the hardware store and get a few cheap screws to verify the thread size.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Are you planning to screw a light pipe like fiber optic rod on it? You could probably go to the hardware store and get a few cheap screws to verify the thread size.
    Standard bead, either brass or faux (or mammoth) ivory.

Not a bad thought re: screws to try it.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-15-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Turns out the most common replacement beads are in 6-48, 3-46, or (les common) 5-40 threads.

No local hardware stores carry screws that small.

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a "Hi-Viz" shot gun light pipe, with a variety of screws. I now know that Rossi used 5-49 screws, and have a highly untraditional yellow fiber front sight on there. I'll replace it with a brass bead, eventually, which may be just as visible, and probably more durable, but for now it will serve fine for repelling boarders.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Assuming she already has the 20 gauge coach gun. I would look for 20 gauge 00 or #1 buck. Flute control is great in LE duty guns but Steve Fisher makes a compelling argumnt for regular 00 loads for in the house or on the porch distances. At those close distances, flite control is too tight and negates some of the advantage of the shotgun, its pattern.
    The good doctor may be along to correct me, but my thought is that what happens inside the target is of primary concern. Even at 5 yards, where the pellets start by making a slug-sized hole, they spread out and make lots of little ones pretty quickly. I'm not sure it matters whether the individual wound paths start close together or with some separation, but I'm pretty sure I like keeping the pellets all headed as close to POA as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Rossi used 5-40
    Fixed it for me. Damnit.
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The good doctor may be along to correct me, but my thought is that what happens inside the target is of primary concern. Even at 5 yards, where the pellets start by making a slug-sized hole, they spread out and make lots of little ones pretty quickly. I'm not sure it matters whether the individual wound paths start close together or with some separation, but I'm pretty sure I like keeping the pellets all headed as close to POA as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0
    I don’t think the argument is Terminal ballistics- either is effective - it’s getting a pattern making it easier to get a hit on a moving / partial target.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    A 12 gauge 500 with reduced-recoil buck is much more comfortable to shoot, but the gun is just too big for my wife and her small hands. A properly sized 20-gauge gas semi would probably be the best shotgun choice for her, or a small PCC on the rifle side..
    My better half is on the tiny side, and although she can bust a few clays with a pump 12 gauge, I am looking forward to get her to the range to try out the Ruger PCC I just picked up. Much less recoil and a lot more capacity. Plus plenty of rail space to add a light and red dot. Seems like a great defensive long gun for her (in theory anyways).

User Tag List