Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I must be overthinking sights

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Yes
    And I know I consequently didn't want anything to do with three dots of any type, then tried them on a whim, and it improved my performance.

I use a few different setup, but all set to the same POA/POI relationship. In no particular order, there's the factory sights on my PX4 Compact Carry models, some of my 92's have fiber fronts and Wilson rears, and some have the Ameriglo Spartan set that can be purchased from Beretta USA website. Then, there's the Berettas with fixed fronts or the PX4'S that I've been to lazy to swap sights and just blacked out the rear dots and painted the fronts orange.

So, what they all have in common is they all have a rear that's black and doesn't draw my eyes to it, and a front that is a brighter more attractive color that draws my eye to the front sight. And under the majority of lighting conditions, I get results with all of them that are so close it's inconsequential to the point I no longer agonize over exactly which type I'm using. In dim enough light, I find that night sights do come into their own, and that's where the Ameriglo night sights start to outpace the others.

I'll add that I'm still in my 30's, so my eyes are still doing pretty good with focusing up close. Add 10-15 years to me and I may be singing a different tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I'll add that I'm still in my 30's, so my eyes are still doing pretty good with focusing up close. Add 10-25 years to me and I may be singing a different tune.
    FIFY

Old eyes here.....when I used to have great vision I liked a small front post....I'm convinced it made me more accurate.

Now that I need to use 2.0's for reading glasses....I like the TFO's from Truglo.
    https://www.truglo.com/firearms-hand...n-sights-green

Most of my range shooting is with corrected shooting glasses.....then it doesn't matter. Without the glasses, those TFO's in green are great...both night and day. I also run the big dot....but don't like the rear shallow V as much as a notch.
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Or try a different FO color. For some reason, red fibers bloom in my vision but green or yellow are crisp. I shoot measurably worse groups with red. When I was working on shooting target focus, I switched to a dim blue fiber, which was almost like shooting a black front.
    Clusterfrack, if a guy wanted to try some FO sights who would you recommend I go through? They would be going on a Glock 17 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    Clusterfrack, if a guy wanted to try some FO sights who would you recommend I go through? They would be going on a Glock 17 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Dawson.

The only downside is they make the rear taper oversized and you have to file to get it to fit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Iam possibly, maybe, drawn to the conclusion that sights are like holsters and "if you get invested" you may end up w/ a box of them.

Sights and guns..

Natural Index and alignment = sights go to the eyes aligned and quickly. Point the gun and they are there.
    Beretta M-9 service pistol w/ plain 3dot sights (sharpied rears).
    WC CQB .45acp w/ WC wide read notch and tritium front.
    DW Valor w/ Heihne Straight 8's.

Speediest for accuracy.
    G17 Gen 3 factory rear w/ green FO front (maker unknown) I believe the front post is wider than the rear notch. If I had to shoot steel at 100yds betting pink slips this is what I would use, even though I do not enjoy the remaining ergo's.

Most troublesome / distracting in Bill Drills, 25yd freestyle and everything inbetween --- but SHINED in a very positive way while doing failure drills on multiple targets after sun set and gray light.
    G4 G-19 w/ trijicon Tritium HD's.

I appreciated Clusterfracks comments on the triji tritium HD's. That is just about how I currently feel, but I also struggle w/ the G19 In general.

If I bought new sights for a Glock right now I'd try the Proctor Mod 1's FO, or the blacked out Defoor's.

.02 cents from another P-F member.

KT

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    Clusterfrack, if a guy wanted to try some FO sights who would you recommend I go through?
    Dawson.
    And I believe all of theirs are going to utilize 1/32" rods, which is more subtle.

The only downside is they make the rear taper oversized and you have to file to get it to fit.
    I just finally bought the proper files from Brownells and that is a tool I shoulda bought a lonnnnnng time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    Old eyes here..... Now that I need to use 2.0's for reading glasses....I like the TFO's from Truglo.
    Without the glasses, those TFO's in green are great...both night and day.
    I think they look like traffic signals sitting sideways on top of the pistol

And depending on their version, they offer many with yellow in the rear and green in the front, I like the contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think they look like traffic signals sitting sideways on top of the pistol

And depending on their version, they offer many with yellow in the rear and green in the front, I like the contrast.
    Well true.....theres that^

Hey, I can see them...a plus
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

User Tag List