Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be overthinking sights

I must be overthinking sights

I should probably post more often. I tend to keep quiet and learn most of the time. But I have a concern and I'm looking for input.
    I have 3 m&p 2.0 9mm's. One full size and two compacts. Those are the only pistols I own and shoot regularly. On one compact and the full size I have Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. These seem to work well enough for me and I have no complaints. My other compact has a fiber optic front and a blacked out factory rear (sharpie).
    The compact with the hacks is my carry gun and I use the other compact for dry fire and about 80% of my range time. The full size is shot occassionally and kept in a central location at home as part of my home defense plan.
    I have this ongoing urge to install another set of hacks on the "training" compact to maintain consistency. But... I'm kind of liking the fiber st the range and also considering going with a better fiber set like something from Dawson or Proctor. The current front sight is a Hiviz, which I'm not thrilled with.
    Finally, I don't have perfect eyes. Far from it, near sighted and astigmatism definitely make this a challenge at times. I generally shoot twice a week about 100 rounds a session. My carry gun gets shot at least once a month.

So, I'm not looking to replace either set of hacks. But should my training gun wear the same sights to remain consistent???

Like I said, I'm probably overthinking this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter too much in my experience but results may vary. I don't have two guns with the same sights.

If the same sights for everything works for your eyes and goals go for it.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-12-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I don’t see a reason to not have the same sights on your carry gun as on your practice gun. That being said, they’re all just slightly different variations on the same basic principal.

Personally, my training and practice G19 wears the same sights as my carry G19. But that’s just me.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Ideally, yes. Major concern, no.

Exception: The sights are regulated differently. IE, one hits at the top of the front sight and the other is "drive the dot". That makes a bit more easy to justify making them same-same.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've converged on two types of sights on pretty much all my guns. Narrow 3 dot tritium, and narrow fiber and black rear. I score marginally better on most drills with the fiber optic set. It's not cheap to replace sights, but when I add up the cost of all of them, it's not that much $ in comparison to ammunition and other supplies.

I was just playing around with a p320c that has HDs on it and couldn't help thinking, "wow, these sights really suck." It was distracting.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Exception: The sights are regulated differently. IE, one hits at the top of the front sight and the other is "drive the dot". That makes a bit more easy to justify making them same-same.
    That's a pretty good reason but even then flip flopping between my HKs with HDs or Dawsons and my stock Shield sights the difference is so low I don't notice too much.

I think once you have a decent index they only really come into play for precision shots. Center mass A zone shots I'm barely looking at the sights unless it's a longer range one.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-12-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I agree.

I prefer to know exactly where my pistols are zeroed. Keeping them all the same makes life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've converged on two types of sights on pretty much all my guns. Narrow 3 dot tritium, and narrow fiber and black rear. I score marginally better on most drills with the fiber optic set. It's not cheap to replace sights, but when I add up the cost of all of them, it's not that much $ in comparison to ammunition and other supplies.

I was just playing around with a p320c that has HDs on it and couldn't help thinking, "wow, these sights really suck." It was distracting.
    I've also been doing some mental gymnastics trying to figure out what sights I wanna run on my HKs, but it's tougher due to limited options with that brand. One of the main options that exist are HDs, so I'm interested in hearing what you don't like about them? I've never used them myself yet....

I must be overthinking sights

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I've also been doing some mental gymnastics trying to figure out what sights I wanna run on my HKs, but it's tougher due to limited options with that brand. One of the main options that exist are HDs, so I'm interested in hearing what you don't like about them? I've never used them myself yet....
    HDs: blade too fat, notch too big. It’s like trying to cut with a dull knife.

Oh yeah, and the rear is sharp as fuck and cuts my tummy and rips shirts. Total fail.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    My recommendation would be a set of Heine Ledge sights with some paint on the front sight. I'm solidly in the camp of .125 width in the front or narrower.
    Last edited by NPV; 04-12-2018 at 09:09 PM.

User Tag List