Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new J frame grips

My new J frame grips

I love the little 642 but large hands, +P 158s and little boot grips don't always get on well together. Decided to try something that was kind of in between a full 3 finger grip and the usual boot grips. Started with an Altamont Bateleur set in a walnut lam with no texture. Out of the box they have a highly buffed and polished finish that shows off the grain nicely. Prominent finger grips and thumb rest. A full grip is afforded but concealment is compromised and the thumb rest bothers me when shooting off side. So....

I minimized the finger ridges, reduced the butt by about .25", reduced the thumb rest, softened the upper back strap edges, rounded the butt and refinished them with tung oil and beeswax.

Fits my standard issue men's large mitts and strikes a middle ground between shooter control and concealment. Quite like 'em.

Name:  P1090417.jpg
Views: 5089
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  P1090414.jpg
Views: 3954
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  P1090416.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  33.9 KB

Wanna send me a set for "testing"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I wish more companies would make grips specific for the Centennial that go all the way up the back strap.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Very nicely done!

-Rainman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I wish more companies would make grips specific for the Centennial that go all the way up the back strap.
    I wish S&W would!

I like those stocks. I don’t own any Altamonts and I think I better remedy that!

civiliandefender.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This is the only one I know. The cushion is nice, but it's kinda long and I'm not a fan of finger grooves. Plus, pulling a giant eraser out of your pocket in a hurry might get slow.

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-j-frame...mer-grip-black
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Seems like they would slip around in the hand. Had a pair of altamonts for my cobra and even with the pattern on it it slide around like a bar of soap in recoil. Do yours move around?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I don’t own any Altamonts and I think I better remedy that!
    I have several and think they are a smoking deal. I have several sets of the ALTAI, including the ones on Dad's M-60:
    Name:  M-60 NoDash.jpg
Views: 3597
Size:  48.0 KB
    (I probably should clean it up...). I bought a second set for a 637 I plan to setup as kind of a twin. I also have a set I bought for my 2" 64, but I didn't like them on it so much, but they ended up being perfect on my 4" 617.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-12-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Seems like they would slip around in the hand. Had a pair of altamonts for my cobra and even with the pattern on it it slide around like a bar of soap in recoil. Do yours move around?
    I have that trouble with the factory finish. Altamont uses a white compound buff followed by a light oil finish and buffed again. Looks very nice and really lets the layers jump out visually.

I finish most of my grips/stocks with a 320 dry or 400 g wet sadnpaper - leaves a light fine tooth to the surface. Followed this with a couple applications of pure tung oil (not the stuff you find in the big box stores which have only a bit of tung oil in them.) More coats will be glossier but that's not what we're after. Two coats penetrates and protects. The finish is smooth and silky. Its also gets less slippery when wet with sweat or fighting fluids. I like to rub in some pure beeswax a few days after the tung oil is completely dry. It gives even more traction when wet and feels like a nice dressed custom axe handle. They're smooth and silky but not slippery.

User Tag List