Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new J frame grips

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Very nicely done!

-Rainman
    Thank ya, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Wanna send me a set for "testing"
    Ha! Only the one set, so far. I'm ordering a couple more to fix up for my other little shooters.

I've only had these to the range once but I sure liked how they worked, especially with the hotter stuff. The extra material at the higher part of the back strap gives me a nice consistent position on the trigger for double action work.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have several and think they are a smoking deal. I have several sets of the ALTAI, including the ones on Dad's M-60:
    Attachment 25354
    (I probably should clean it up...). I bought a second set for a 637 I plan to setup as kind of a twin. I also have a set I bought for my 2" 64, but I didn't like them on it so much, but they ended up being perfect on my 4" 617.
    That looks right nice.

This is what the grips look like from the factory (image courtesy Altamont Company):

Name:  SJR-BL07 p.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  64.3 KB

Tung oil and beeswax result in a much darker finish than the light oil the company uses. If you want to keep the factory finish but improve traction a bit, lightly dress the finish with fine steel wool. You'll lose the glossy finish but you won't affect the color and the surface will be less "slickery".

A couple of notes: the palm swell of the Altamonts are approximately 1/8" wider than the factory boot grips and this set added .8 oz to the gun weight.

I have several and think they are a smoking deal. I have several sets of the ALTAI, including the ones on Dad's M-60:
    Attachment 25354
    (I probably should clean it up...). I bought a second set for a 637 I plan to setup as kind of a twin. I also have a set I bought for my 2" 64, but I didn't like them on it so much, but they ended up being perfect on my 4" 617.
    Do those Altai’s give you three fingers on the grip? IE do they support your pinky finger?

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Do those Altai’s give you three fingers on the grip? IE do they support your pinky finger?

civiliandefender.com
    If you are asking about the stock grips yes they do. I have xxl hands and I have the same grips. I pocket carry them no problem however I am planning on cutting mine tomorrow quite possibly even with the bottom of the frame. I find at the range I like the three finger grip much more but I find the blackstrap to be too narrow. A set of Herretts are in the future I have the order form filled out and the check written but I want to experiment with these before I place the order. One note is the grip screws on mine keep coming loose and unless the screw is really tight they move. Clear finger nail polish will keep the screw in place and if you buy on the company website they will send free screws if you loose yours.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    If you are asking about the stock grips yes they do. I have xxl hands and I have the same grips.
    I was planning to reply "yes" but after taking the picture I might say "sorta". I am probably a smaller mammal than you two, but here is my grip:
    Name:  637.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  35.9 KB

But I think they are great. Not sure how much better I shoot, but I think they enhance the speed of the presentation. Even though I rarely pocket carry, part of the rationalization of getting the 637 (as if I am rational about any of this...) was to keep pocket-able boot grips on my 638 with the 637 being setup for elastic waistband carry.

Might also be worth pointing out, their grips that are the plain configurations (no checkering or medallions) are only $40. After seeing what Holmes did I might go right now and get the Bateleur for my 340.

They also have one they call Combat that is a nicer variation on the banana idea and they are only $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    This is what the grips look like from the factory (image courtesy Altamont Company):

Name:  SJR-BL07 p.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  64.3 KB

Tung oil and beeswax result in a much darker finish than the light oil the company uses. If you want to keep the factory finish but improve traction a bit, lightly dress the finish with fine steel wool. You'll lose the glossy finish but you won't affect the color and the surface will be less "slickery".

A couple of notes: the palm swell of the Altamonts are approximately 1/8" wider than the factory boot grips and this set added .8 oz to the gun weight.
    Thanks for the bump! The problem with reading/posting before bed is that I’m never quite sure if I’m remembering correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the bump! The problem with reading/posting before bed is that I’m never quite sure if I’m remembering correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most welcome. Half the time when I participate late at night I forget to hit the "post" button and then wonder where the hell my post went the next morning My internet skills are not highly developed!

I was planning to reply "yes" but after taking the picture I might say "sorta". I am probably a smaller mammal than you two, but here is my grip:
    Name:  637.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  35.9 KB

But I think they are great. Not sure how much better I shoot, but I think they enhance the speed of the presentation. Even though I rarely pocket carry, part of the rationalization of getting the 637 (as if I am rational about any of this...) was to keep pocket-able boot grips on my 638 with the 637 being setup for elastic waistband carry.

Might also be worth pointing out, their grips that are the plain configurations (no checkering or medallions) are only $40. After seeing what Holmes did I might go right now and get the Bateleur for my 340.

They also have one they call Combat that is a nicer variation on the banana idea and they are only $35.
    Best thing to do is run a standardized drill with a timer. Run it a few times with the various grips and check your data. You might be surprised at the results.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List