Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: American P210

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Assembly of those early ones was pretty haphazard, though. They were primo pistol kits, however. I was still at CCA at the time and our head gunsmith called them "Brownell's 1911s".

Fortunately my specimen was assembled pretty well, but I saw some where a person had obviously taken "drop-in fit" a little too literally.
    Yup-totally agree, Tam. That's exactly why my 2006 GSR XO took an all-expenses paid trip back to Mike Guarnieri at SIG to be cleaned up a bit.

Best, Jon

This is one of those “never should have looked” threads for me.

I purchased one of the Danish surplus P210s 16ish years ago. I paid $900.00 for it OTD at a pawn shop. I got it home where it quietly collected dust. I had every intention of sending it off to Novak’s for some kind of cool project piece. Anyway, I got bored/distracted/ impatient and sold the gun for $1100.00 or so. Felt like a king because I turned a tiny profit and used that money on a Les Baer TRS (that I later traded for a really nice NightForce scope).

I just decided to look around Gunbroker and some other places at the Danish P210s and all I can say is “wow, I was a dumbass for sure.” Kind of like the $99.00 Argentine Colt contract 1911s I bought when they were dirt cheap.

The older I get, the less I enjoy trading guns off. My wife and I made a pact early in 2018 that we were done selling/trading any guns for any reason. It has been the first year of my life where I never sold or traded a gun. I have a VP9SK that I really don’t like, but I had to have it. I can’t bring myself to trade it off or sell it now though.

Weird how age changes us...........

My apologies for the rambling.

Merry Christmas!

I have many Swiss models and have had German models. The P210A is not something I’d ever buy. I don’t care for American Sigs in the first place and just the fact that they cheapened the design itself is ridiculous. Besides that, build quality is no match for the German models, not even to mention the real deal Swiss guns from the 60’s and 70’s.

If you want a good shooter that sort of resembles a P210 (locking block and front serrations notwithstanding) for not a lot of money, go for it. They don’t feel at all like a P210 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    I also carry a forged heavy frame SIG P210-6, so my biases should be obvious. Last I heard, Leroy Thompson, another aficionado of the Neuhausen pistol as a carry sidearm, was working on a comparative review. I trust his judgment.
    Do you carry cocked and locked? That safety must take some getting used to. One thing appealing on the new models is the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Assembly of those early ones was pretty haphazard, though. They were primo pistol kits, however. I was still at CCA at the time and our head gunsmith called them "Brownell's 1911s".

Fortunately my specimen was assembled pretty well, but I saw some where a person had obviously taken "drop-in fit" a little too literally.
    I remember that Caspian had a lot of parts to sell when SIG brought GSR part production in-house. The Caspian Xtreme Recon (XR) kit was the result. Caspian also had a lot of slides with external extractors and the distinctive GSR profile to unload. I also believe EGW was stuck with a lot of parts meant for the GSR -- and still has some more than a decade later. http://www.egwguns.com/bargain-bin/s...-pin-stops-bb/

Gary Smith at Caspian never said a word about the origin of the Xtreme Recon kits, but the silence was telling.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Do you carry cocked and locked? That safety must take some getting used to. One thing appealing on the new models is the thumb safety.
    I prefer the original. Name:  FE2C9D07-00A8-42C2-8FCC-067126951B06.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  43.2 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    I prefer the original. Name:  FE2C9D07-00A8-42C2-8FCC-067126951B06.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  43.2 KB
    Very nice, Michael

It’s similar to the model I bought from you.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I remember that Caspian had a lot of parts to sell when SIG brought GSR part production in-house. The Caspian Xtreme Recon (XR) kit was the result. Caspian also had a lot of slides with external extractors and the distinctive GSR profile to unload. I also believe EGW was stuck with a lot of parts meant for the GSR -- and still has some more than a decade later. http://www.egwguns.com/bargain-bin/s...-pin-stops-bb/

Gary Smith at Caspian never said a word about the origin of the Xtreme Recon kits, but the silence was telling.
    Yup, and as I recall they were also selling the then concurrently surplussed Storm Lake barrels simultaneously....Hey, kids! Build your own GSR!

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Very nice, Michael

It’s similar to the model I bought from you.
    You should start packing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You should start packing one.
    True Bucky. I don’t have the guts that Michael has to tote around a five figure handgun.

I also believe he uses a Registered Magnum for home defense. Way too rich for my blood, lol...

User Tag List