Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American P210

I'm hoping p-f member zeleny chips in on this thread; he's one of the more knowledgeable P210 sources of accurate and objective information. I've had the pleasure of owning an "old school" SIG P210-6; it was a superb gun, but more something to appreciate and occasionally use than for contemporary carry or duty use.

Personally, I'd be highly skeptical of pretty much anything coming out of SIG these days; I've seen too many design and component issues-and too many shifts to lower-quality components during a model's production cycle.

The exception would be the Sigpro/P2022, who's quality seems to have been maintained unmarred, quite possibly due to established organizational contractual orders and their component/QC requirements.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-12-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    There was a guy over on sigforum who had grayguns heavily customize his P210 and turn it into a duty gun. Had an improved safety, light rail, and other stuff. Wish I could find the info about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    There was a guy over on sigforum who had grayguns heavily customize his P210 and turn it into a duty gun. Had an improved safety, light rail, and other stuff. Wish I could find the info about it.
    That was a great thread on a superb pistol. Can't find it on Sigforum it here is some info and pics off the Grayguns site.....

https://grayguns.com/custom-gunsmith...p210-duty-gun/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    That was a great thread on a superb pistol. Can't find it on Sigforum it here is some info and pics off the Grayguns site.....

Thank you!

I can only imagine the cost .

Site Supporter
    http://soldiersystems.net/2018/04/12...edium=facebook

The Danes are replacing the P210 with the SIG P320 X Carry.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm hoping p-f member zeleny chips in on this thread; he's one of the more knowledgeable P210 sources of accurate and objective information. I've had the pleasure of owning an "old school" SIG P210-6; it was a superb gun, but more something to appreciate and occasionally use than for contemporary carry or duty use.

Personally, I'd be highly skeptical of pretty much anything coming out of SIG these days; I've seen too many design and component issues-and too many shifts to lower-quality components during a model's production cycle.

The exception would be the Sigpro/P2022, who's quality seems to have been maintained unmarred, quite possibly due to established organizational contractual orders and their component/QC requirements.

Best, Jon
    Thanks for your kind words, Jon. I am out of Ron Cohen’s graces for several independently sufficient reasons, so a test sample is not in the cards. I do know that the P210A internals are made by Indo-MIM, for all it’s worth. I also carry a forged heavy frame SIG P210-6, so my biases should be obvious. Last I heard, Leroy Thompson, another aficionado of the Neuhausen pistol as a carry sidearm, was working on a comparative review. I trust his judgment.
    Last edited by zeleny; 04-14-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post

Man, that is some truly excellent snowflake, right there.

Was just in the FLGS today (because, Saturday...) and ran into a guy from my HS class, of all things. Turns out he bought one of the new 210s, and loves it, as did all the LGS guys—who are actually squared away on gun stuff, as this is one of the better places I’ve been in.

Might be something to the new ones. Time will tell.

I handled the new P210 at my local club. It looks nice and the trigger is nice too. They were asking a hair under $1500 which seems attractive given the $2K+ prices for the used Euro models.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Thanks for your kind words, Jon. I am out of Ron Cohen’s graces for several independently sufficient reasons, so a test sample is not in the cards. I do know that the P210A internals are made by Indo-MIM, for all it’s worth. I also carry a forged heavy frame SIG P210-6, so my biases should be obvious. Last I heard, Leroy Thompson, another aficionado of the Neuhausen pistol as a carry sidearm, was working on a comparative review. I trust his judgment.
    The Indo-MIM is a huge potential red flag (as opposed to the quality steel, presumably tool steel used in the Swiss-produced Neuhausen SIG P210s). While MIM per se is not necessarily the kiss of death and indicative that a gun will fall apart/loose after low round counts, it's been previously noted that there are several quality levels of MIM components produced by Indo (and that historically SIG-Sauer has chosen the middle quality as I recall).

While I would much prefer that a legacy gun like a contemporary P210 woud have the highest quality tool steel components, at a minimum I would like to see SIG-Sauer stipulating the quality level of the Indo-MIM components inherent to the current production P210s. Otherwise, in my opinion, unless the Indo-MIM is of the highest quality level (with a stipulated performance/longevity guarantee) the legacy is not fulfilled, and the contemporary offering is just a marketing exercise to glean money from the name.

The SIG component quality spiral downward has unfortunately been seen in multiple SIG-Sauer platforms, most graphically in the SIG GSR/1911 line; from 2004 through approximately 2006, very high quality components, both SIG, SIG-Sauer and high-end cottage industry were utilized; subsequently, increased amounts of MIM/offshore-produced MIM became gradually prevalent, with the SIG 1911s drifting very far indeed from product manager/designer Matt MacLearn's intentions. While the current ones are not necessarily "bad" pistols, they're far from what they could be, and to me are a success of style and marketing at the significant expense of substance.

While there are probably very few individual or organizational owners who truly subject these contemporary SIG pistols to hard and/or adverse environmental use or high round counts (so there's probably scant empirical evidence/data accumulations), my innate suspicion is that those who do so are likely to be far better served by other platforms.

Bluntly, in my opinion these SIGS with questionable quality components are likely to be challenged, both in extended, hard, real-world use, and as viable collector investments.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-15-2018 at 11:31 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have no experience with IndoMIM, but I have some with sourcing offshore components. It's within the realm of possibility that, when parts are made in the same factory by the same people with the same operational culture and default quality procedure integrity level, a "higher quality" variant parts stream is really just more expensive and no less likely to contain defects.

A thought I've seen elsewhere is that we're essentially looking at a single stack, SAO, all steel 9mm for ~$1500. I believe the current benchmark for that is a Dan Wesson of your favorite flavor. Personally at this point, I'd probably go for a black Valor, between the two. And I like my classic Sigs more than I like any 1911 I've handled or shot, enough that I have another P220 coming. There's a lot more to the equation than the quality of the SA trigger press.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List