Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 brass to the face

Site Supporter

1911 brass to the face

One of my Colt 9mm pistols is ejecting brass into my forehead more often than is acceptable. I checked the extractor tension and it seems good. So my question is what are the likely suspects for BTF once the extractor tension is ruled out?

If the ejector, how can I best determine whether the ejector is shaped wrong or needs tuning?

Other than the BTF the gun works just fine.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Check out this website to find answers. http://brazoscustom.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Check out this website to find answers. http://brazoscustom.com
    Thanks for the link. Their performance tuned ejector does look interesting. I think I am going to try a lower-powered recoil spring first since it's such an easy swap, but since the extractor tension looks good the ejector is probably the next thing to look at.

Colt slightly over-springs their 9mm guns anyway, another reason to try a different spring first.

Site Supporter
    Also, some have reported that twisting(ever so slightly)of the extractor can cause brass directional problems. Another term for twisting is clocking of the extractor caused by a loose firing pin stop. I've never observed this, though. Changing out an ejector is tricky. See stiguns.com for a drill that they make for this job. Done improperly, the job will produce a loosely fitting part.

I really like the smooth consistent feel of the Wilson flat wire recoil spring in my Colt .38 Super Auto. if you're experimenting with springs....

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the inputs.

I had also learned about the extractor clocking issue in my research. The firing pin stop seems solid.

If I were to go with a new ejector I would probably have it installed by a trusted 1911 gunsmith I know.

Will look into the flat wire recoil spring.

Site Supporter
    Out of curiosity, which one of your 9mm Colts are you referring to? I vaguely recall that you have both a full size, and a Lightweight Commander.

Site Supporter
    Robinson, your gunsmith can fix the problem by using a file to alter the ejector's shape. I had assumed that you did not have a good smith.

Site Supporter
    My Commander does occasionally throw brass in my face. I'm hesitant to alter the ejector nose that much, especially because they're the extra long ejectors but I might tighten up the extractor a little more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Out of curiosity, which one of your 9mm Colts are you referring to? I vaguely recall that you have both a full size, and a Lightweight Commander.
    This one is a Series 80 Government model (1991 series) I recently acquired.

User Tag List